Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 11-09-2013, 03:18 PM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucybag View Post
This is actually a really good and huge point that is often overlooked, Nintendo are a Japanese company. I remember them saying on one of the podcasts that Apple and Ios isn't as huge in Japan as it is in the rest of the world, I believe it's Samsung who are market leaders there. If Nintendo were to entertain the idea of breaking into the smartphone market surely this would be a factor for them.
Hmmm I see; I thought it was the contrary. That adds up to the arguments then.

The future of gaming, in my humble opinion, should be the unification of handhelds and consoles. What I mean is: they should be bundled as one thing, where buyers wont need to shell out separately for a console and a portable device. The market won't be fragmented; devs can choose to develop console games that use the pad+console, or develop games that only use the pad (similar to current portable games on 3DS). Or better yet the console games that you can also play on the on the pad.

That simplification of the gaming market will benefit the exclusive gaming companies. The WiiU already has that functionality (Pad+console) and the PS3 is going also in that direction with built-in screens on the controller.

Apple is reigning currently because of that simplification/unification in its devices: the iPad is an mp3 player, a pseudo-pc replacement, gaming device etc, iPod are so much evolved than simple mp3 players. But the gaming market is so fragmented and dissected that potential buyers are literally lost(2DS vs 3DS, XBOX and PS3).

I donno if I make any sense or get my point across but that for me can truly save Nintendo: offer a one-device-to-rule-them-all, at a smart competitive price with some meat in its tech stomach, and have developpers decide wether their games will use both the console and the pad, or go portable exclusively

Last edited by nemerleb; 11-09-2013 at 05:27 PM..
Old 11-09-2013, 06:13 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I'd totally love a one device does all, even more so if it were portale
Old 11-10-2013, 05:34 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 5.x

I think Apple could be the first to attempt this with Apple TV. Look at how gorgeous Infinity Blade looks, that's console quality visuals right there. Combine this with MFI controllers and Airplay Mirroring and you have yourself a TV based console which can be whipped straight into your pocket! All it's gonna take is a little refinement on Apples behalf. I use Apple TV at work and like to play around and stream my games to the full screen testing it out but there's a little too much latency right now to make it viable alternative to a console. It's not far off though surely .
Old 11-10-2013, 05:57 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucybag View Post
I think Apple could be the first to attempt this with Apple TV. Look at how gorgeous Infinity Blade looks, that's console quality visuals right there. Combine this with MFI controllers and Airplay Mirroring and you have yourself a TV based console which can be whipped straight into your pocket! All it's gonna take is a little refinement on Apples behalf. I use Apple TV at work and like to play around and stream my games to the full screen testing it out but there's a little too much latency right now to make it viable alternative to a console. It's not far off though surely .
Valve listed Apple as being in really potent position in this regard. It really depends on Apple. My eyes are firmly on the next model of Apple TV. Could be a game changer
Old 11-10-2013, 09:27 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Deputy View Post
Valve listed Apple as being in really potent position in this regard. It really depends on Apple. My eyes are firmly on the next model of Apple TV. Could be a game changer
Wow really? I'm not suprised mind you what with valve releasing the steam box that essentially does the same thing with different hardware. Apple TV could be a real threat to that considering A. The really good price of Apple TV, B. The massive install base of Ios and C. The huge selection of games available for such a cheap price on the App Store
Old 11-10-2013, 11:07 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

The video game landscape is always evolving, but Nintendo likes to stick to its roots. I think it has to do with the Japanese mindset, and Nintendo is nothing if not Japanese. But only time will tell if Nintendo is mistaken in not adapting or correct in standing their ground.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:48 AM
In Time-Out
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

I want Pokemon X & Y app for iPhone
Old 11-12-2013, 01:19 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Nintendo could be making their own super smartphone.

They have "$10.5 billion in the bank and, even if making big losses every year, that considerable nest egg would keep the company going until 2052. That's, like, 40 years away."

http://www.gamesradar.com/nintendo-d...-its-got-bank/

Lets revisit this in 40 years.

Last edited by ZigZaGame; 11-12-2013 at 01:23 AM..
Old 11-12-2013, 05:28 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigZaGame View Post
Nintendo could be making their own super smartphone.

They have "$10.5 billion in the bank and, even if making big losses every year, that considerable nest egg would keep the company going until 2052. That's, like, 40 years away."

http://www.gamesradar.com/nintendo-d...-its-got-bank/

Lets revisit this in 40 years.

Nintendo introducing a smartphone into the market would be like throwing money down the drain. Same reason why they are not going head to head with the current next gen giants and making a third very similar next gen console further diluting the market. They focus on a different approach and give the consumer a product that is different enough to have alongside another gaming product, loads of people had either Xbox or Ps but had a Wii also. It's smart tactics like that which keep them in the game.

Yes they have X billion in the bank but that's not going to excuse losses for them. They won't just shrug that stuff off. Nintendo are the giants whose shoulders have been stood on in this industry, there's a lot of pride and craftsmanship to account for. They will still strive to turn a profit to keep them moving forward.

As it has been stated in this thread already. Utilising Nintendo's back catalogue on smartphones to accompany existing products and services is a smart idea. It could generate massive profit from almost nothing, all the games are made. The hardware is all developed. It's a low risk, high gain strategy that could work.

Let's not revisit it in 40 years. Let's keep discussions and interest alive NOW and show Nintendo that there is a real consumer base in an upcoming mobile market that is crying for genuine Nintendo quality rather than half arsed copies of Nintendo products.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:37 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

1. Bring back the Game Boy.
2. Print money.