MAME for iPad, a possible solution...

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by James Burland, Apr 28, 2010.

1. James Burland

James Burland Member

Dec 12, 2008
    I was thinking about MAME (Multi Arcade Machine Emulator) for iPhone OS, and in particular for the iPad. I've come up with a concept that I think might just work and -- more importantly -- be cleared by Apple for inclusion on the App Store.

I'd really love to know what you guys think of the idea. If you want to cut directly to the meaty stuff, head down to the subheading entitled, 'Two possible solutions'.

http://tinyurl.com/mameforipad

Many thanks in advance!

2. DJCaseyD

DJCaseyD Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2010

I like the idea a lot (the second solution especially). I don't have an iPad, but would love to see something similar on the itouch if at all possible. Being able to run Mame on an idevice opens up a whole new world for retro gaming on the go. Keep at it!

3. zurie

zurie Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    another reason to jailbrake the ipad / iphone. Mame has been out on iphone already for JB users. Even Scumm VM where I played a whole game of indiana jones and the fate of atlantis.

4. bmn0210

bmn0210 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2010
    The problem isn't so much Apple's policies (AFAIK no one has even tried submitting MAME to the app store, for the reasons that follow), it's CPU power, or lack thereof. It's simply impossible to get most games to run at any decent speed, try running MAME on a jailbroken iPhone to see what I mean. Even the PSP version isn't good for much.

Which means of those two option, only the second one is feasible. And as it happens, it's a very interesting option indeed. People have been designing apps like this for a long time on the iPhone to play and stream music & movies that are in incompatible formats, or simply to be able to access to their entire media collection from anywhere they can get a 3G signal.

There's actually a company right now called OnLive, who are doing this with PC games in an attempt to bring gaming to people who can't afford high-end gaming PCs. If all goes to plan, the service should be launching in parts of the US sometime this year, and that'll be the major test for this kind of system. If it works with PC games, I've absolutely no doubt it'll be workable for arcade games, NES games, or pretty much anything you can emulate on a PC.

The big challenge is going to be overcoming latency. My experience with media streaming programs is that they're actually pretty seamless, even over 3G, but the problem is that in games even milliseconds make a difference, and any amount of lag can completely ruin things. My fear is that it'll end up feeling very much like online multiplayer did back in the days of 56k (for those of you unfortunate enough to have memories of that ;) ).

5. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    I would love to see MAME on the iPad!
    I hope eventually it can be implemented, one way or the other.

6. Lions

Lions Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Designer
    DC
    A friend and I just the other day were brainstorming how to turn the iPad into a full blown arcade. I'm pretty sure I can use a keyboard to pass the joystick clicks. The issue really is just getting MAME running on the ipad.

So the ipad can't handle running MAME even if by some miracle Apple ever allowed it?

7. James Burland

James Burland Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Lions,

That's the beauty of streaming the display from a PC/Mac. Even demanding games should run with ease on the iPad.

Of course, it could work just as well on the iPhone and iPod Touch, but the extra display size of the iPad means that there is plenty of room for virtual controls of all kinds, perhaps even enough room for two sets of controls.

8. McCarron

McCarron Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Lead iPhone Developer @ Stand Alone, Inc.
    Chicagoland, IL USA
    I had messed around with MAME on the iPad simulator for a bit. Zodttd has posted his code for MAME for the iPhone over at github. I played around with it a bit, but couldn't ever get a clean compile of it in Xcode and have been too busy with other products to get deeper into getting this running and updated to a newer MAME. Maybe someone else can take what zodttd has posted and run with it?

http://github.com/zodttd/mame4iphone-private

9. Lions

Lions Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Designer
    DC
    yeah, I tried compiling it too but I think he must of used an older SDK or something. The code looked like he's just using the engine from the gp2x project. Of course all the emulator code is way over my skill level anyway.

James, I like that idea. Wonder if an iPad connected a joystick(USB keyboard map) could send keystrokes back to the PC/Mac. Hmmm... Now if my iPad would just get delivered so I could start doing some testing.

10. McCarron

McCarron Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Chicagoland, IL USA
    Either that or the MAME OSX could be built for the iPhone OS/iPad so I think it's very much doable, just not sellable.

It "should work" via the Camera Connection kit, which rumor is also works with iPhone OS 4. I plan on testing my PC/PS3/Xbox 360 USB arcade stick via that connector once I get it. It may be detectable, if not a mod would have to be made to act as certain keys.

11. Lions

Lions Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Designer
    DC
    I've built a custom arcade joystick with the I-PAC from Ultimarc. It's USB powered and both PC & Mac treat it as a generic USB keyboard. http://www.ultimarc.com/ipac1.html

12. McCarron

McCarron Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Chicagoland, IL USA
    That may be an interesting test of that vs what I have, the Cthulhu/Chimp PCB in my arcade stick so it works on PC/Mac/PS3, and Xbox 360 soon, but it works as a USB Joystick not a USB Keyboard. I may have to splice the I-PAC in now as well...

13. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    look mom, no jailbreaking

[​IMG]

14. agent59512935

agent59512935 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
  15. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Umm or people could develop it and distribute it for jailbroken devices (which is most people anyways, ignoring the rest of the Apple patriot idiots) like all the other emulators...?

16. leevava

leevava Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    do not know about this, but hope more people can focus on this field

17. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    I don't think CPU would be an issue. On Windows Mobile with far slower and less efficient CPU's, the MAME emulator port runs just fine. Even FinalBurn is able to run e.g. Metal Slug with flawless sound (!) and without any problems (!) on 800 MHz+ WinMo handhelds.

Anyone to port FinalBurn, BTW? :)

18. agent59512935

agent59512935 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    I only care to run the early 80s games anyway. The problem with MAME is it tries to run games all the way up until like 5 years ago or something. Stick to the 80s games and it should run fine.

19. mattsoft

mattsoft New Member

Dec 2, 2014
    iPad 2 vs. Air for iMAME

I have an iPad 2 (jailbroken) with iMAME (Reloaded) and it plays great, but some games are a little slow (like outrun). Has anyone used iMAME on an iPad 2 and an iPad Air? I'm curious if the Air is noticeably faster with iMAME. Thanks!