We're mad as hell about iOS games that cost money, have ads, and/or any IAP at all.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tsharpfilm, Nov 3, 2009.

?

Is Canabalt worth $2.99?

1. Yes

213 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. No

293 vote(s)
    48.2%
  3. Not my type of game

102 vote(s)
    16.8%
  1. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #2081 Vovin, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012

*rolls on the floor laughing*

2. lucrezio87

lucrezio87 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Italy
    ahahah 13$ ano no Multiplayer on a Fighting Game? Ok, like KoF.. but KoF cost 1/3!

SF jump in with 0.99 sale! and multiplayer..

I won't buy this, seriously.. i can buy the new ps360 version with a little more :confused:

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    The problem is that in the App Store there are PLENTY of games which have had a lot of love and work put into them, a helluva lot and the prices are much lower than Soul Calibur. You seem to be a fan of this game so the price isnt a problem.

But if they lower the price i'm sure they'll get a ton more sales. I read the app description and it said 20% off for early buyers ! So it'll be even higher soon.

In the app store that price is high compared to a LOT of other games and that'll put a lot of people off.

4. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #2084 Vovin, Jan 19, 2012
    Because lots of people are cheapskates with bloody expensive devices.
    They are also the ones complaining about the lack of more AAA titles on the AppStore. :rolleyes:
    People always seem to confuse the AppStore with a flea market.

Any proof for this statement?
    In case of some niche products, it doesn't matter if the price is high or low. They only get a number of sales from the genre fans. On other games, this statement might apply. But it is just a guess in the end.
    And as a reminder: SFIV was priced at 10 bucks on release and was a major success.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Any proof with this statement ?

I've got over 500 apps, i buy a lot instantly as i want the dev to get more money. Suddenly i dont agree with one high priced game and i'm a cheapskate? Wouldnt say my ipod was a 'bloody expensive device' either.

Yes i dont have 'proof' but if the game is half the price i personally (and not saying this is gospel) think that it'll sell much more. Plus its basic math isnt it ? Lower price for a big name game will mean more sales.

If a few years ago games on the app store were all $7-$10 and the 'cheapest' were $5 then fair enough. But the market has been created that so many people expect a quality game for a buck or two (or wait for it to be free).

If you are a huge fan of Soul Calibur then you probably wont care about the price, for others who are undecided the high price will put them off. We're not being cheapskates, just being practical. If everyone buys this then every other Taito game will be this price, other rival companies will see this and before you know it every game will be $12.

6. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #2086 Vovin, Jan 19, 2012

Yes. The existance of this thread. :p
    Enough proof. Hundreds of heart-warming posts about how much people appreciate the dev's works over months/years. And yes, proper payment counts as a sign of appreciation.

For everything else, see my edited post. Isn't like I am not agreeing with you. And I don't remember calling everyone a cheapskate.

7. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Well, here's what I said in the SC thread. It's somewhat vague because I don't want to tire myself out from trying to explain everything, and I've already mentioned quite a few of my issues/concerns on this forum already.

Well, I have my own personal qualms/gripes about virtual content and pricing. I'm not going to really go into that though because it's a bit of a different argument.

I, also, don't want to pay the same price or more than an XBLA game when it comes to a port. Plus, from my understanding it doesn't include Quest mode either.

Personally, I hope that Namco makes a new/original fighting game for iOS if this becomes successful. However, I doubt it will reach that mark. I typically don't get nostalgic for games I've already played but for genres, but I have bought ports for games I haven't played.

The AppStore (Apple as a gaming platform) is f'd up sideways and it's not as superficial as prices are messed up, even though I think they could be raised.

Edit
    Also, I wanted to say that I'm a big fan of this thread!

8. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

Soul Calibur is a case where I would be willing to pay $15 for a complete version of the game but not without mutliplayer or iPad 1 support. I'm still planning to buy it at some point it's just no longer a priority title. I could easily spend $150 or more on $2 to $15 iOS, XBLA and PSN games I'm planning to play someday but can't afford right now.

9. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Well, first off, I'm biased due to having played the game already and with a controller. I'll never buy a Square Enix game for iOS unles it's made specifically for iOS; enter Chaos Rings.

Secondly, I would never pay more for an iOS game (more so talking about ports) when compared to PSN or XBLA. This doesn't make sense to me.

Lastly, my personal issues with virtual media don't necessarily revolve around the pricing for SC. I'm not trying to start some war on this thread, but I do have concerns about certain things.

10. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #2090 backtothis, Jan 19, 2012
    Btw, Soul Calibur is now in the top 50 in the US, beating out Apple's GOTW (Smash Cops, $2.99) by over 30 spots. Would you look at that. It's currently the best-selling new release this week.

11. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Personally, I find it to be funny and disheartening all at the same time.

12. TheBeastlyNinja

TheBeastlyNinja Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Computer stuff
    Right behind you
    Lolol sigged that one haha

13. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Sigh... :mad:

Haha.

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Only $25 ? What a bargain ! ;)

15. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I would rather chop off my arm before spending $25 on a game that has such a half-assed title. I've seen some offensive spelling and grammar in my lifetime, but this one takes the cake.

Corpse party BloodCovered: ...Repeated Fear

lolno

16. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    It probably sounds better in Japanese. ;)

17. Bad Hanson

Bad Hanson Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    ...This game will do well then.

18. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Of course it will. That price matched with the impeccable translation are definitely worth every iDevice owner forking over their hard-earned cash to 5.pube.4llrappzloklaikdis.Inc.

19. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    $25... o_O

No. Just no. I let go of my PSP and DS for a reason.

20. master lee

master lee Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Greece kos island
    I will be glad to pay 25 or 30 for Parasite Eve II for my ipad and not for this game.