Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #191  
Old 06-08-2014, 12:49 PM
Pocketnova Pocketnova is offline
Senior Member
iPad mini, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,063
Default

Is this game worth it? It looks good, but I haven't really read through the thread yet. (Though I know it will be high quality considering the dev)
Reply With Quote
  #192  
Old 06-09-2014, 06:05 AM
iPadisGreat iPadisGreat is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5c, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,347
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocketnova View Post
Is this game worth it? It looks good, but I haven't really read through the thread yet. (Though I know it will be high quality considering the dev)
Panzer Corps has a few things going for it, and a few things against.

Good stuff:
All the paid expansion scenarios available via IAP.
Cheaper than PC version, I think.
Playable on iPad 2.
Cheat codes built in for free.

Bad stuff:
Not all the PC version's cheat codes work.
Very slow patching. Music on startup video still unable to be toggled off despite addition of mute music switch.
File size is big. I took it off my iPad 2 and have it on my Retina iPad Mini, which I don't use, so it is gathering dust there together with my other large installed size games.
Operational level game. One hex equals roughly like a town and 3 are like a city. If you prefer to fight street by street, try Battle Academy or the Tank Battle games.
Games are too long. Made for PC, so each scenario takes a long time to clear. The savegame system is a necessity here (included). However, you might forget what you were last doing in the game unless Panzer Corps is the only game you play on your iPad.
More expensive than other game apps on the App Store by close to 2 decimal points. I bought it and all expansions on release. You can do the math.

Recommendes only if you like Operational level games. If like me you prefer tactical level, then you will hate having to deal with experience points, production, choosing what to produce and so forth.
Reply With Quote
  #193  
Old 06-09-2014, 08:07 AM
Bloodangel Bloodangel is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4, OS 4.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 459
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPadisGreat View Post
Panzer Corps has a few things going for it, and a few things against.

Good stuff:
All the paid expansion scenarios available via IAP.
Cheaper than PC version, I think.
Playable on iPad 2.
Cheat codes built in for free.

Bad stuff:
Not all the PC version's cheat codes work.
Very slow patching. Music on startup video still unable to be toggled off despite addition of mute music switch.
File size is big. I took it off my iPad 2 and have it on my Retina iPad Mini, which I don't use, so it is gathering dust there together with my other large installed size games.
Operational level game. One hex equals roughly like a town and 3 are like a city. If you prefer to fight street by street, try Battle Academy or the Tank Battle games.
Games are too long. Made for PC, so each scenario takes a long time to clear. The savegame system is a necessity here (included). However, you might forget what you were last doing in the game unless Panzer Corps is the only game you play on your iPad.
More expensive than other game apps on the App Store by close to 2 decimal points. I bought it and all expansions on release. You can do the math.

Recommendes only if you like Operational level games. If like me you prefer tactical level, then you will hate having to deal with experience points, production, choosing what to produce and so forth.
What's this battle academy you mention? Is it iPhone? I can't find it anywhere
Reply With Quote
  #194  
Old 06-09-2014, 08:32 AM
Duke12 Duke12 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 261
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodangel View Post
What's this battle academy you mention? Is it iPhone? I can't find it anywhere
Ipad only

https://itunes.apple.com/fi/app/battle-academy/id499901136?l=fi&mt=8
Reply With Quote
  #195  
Old 06-09-2014, 11:12 AM
Pocketnova Pocketnova is offline
Senior Member
iPad mini, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,063
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPadisGreat View Post
Panzer Corps has a few things going for it, and a few things against.

Good stuff:
All the paid expansion scenarios available via IAP.
Cheaper than PC version, I think.
Playable on iPad 2.
Cheat codes built in for free.

Bad stuff:
Not all the PC version's cheat codes work.
Very slow patching. Music on startup video still unable to be toggled off despite addition of mute music switch.
File size is big. I took it off my iPad 2 and have it on my Retina iPad Mini, which I don't use, so it is gathering dust there together with my other large installed size games.
Operational level game. One hex equals roughly like a town and 3 are like a city. If you prefer to fight street by street, try Battle Academy or the Tank Battle games.
Games are too long. Made for PC, so each scenario takes a long time to clear. The savegame system is a necessity here (included). However, you might forget what you were last doing in the game unless Panzer Corps is the only game you play on your iPad.
More expensive than other game apps on the App Store by close to 2 decimal points. I bought it and all expansions on release. You can do the math.

Recommendes only if you like Operational level games. If like me you prefer tactical level, then you will hate having to deal with experience points, production, choosing what to produce and so forth.
That's good to know. I have Battle academy so I think I'll stick with that. Thanks for the detailed post!
Reply With Quote
  #196  
Old 06-20-2014, 03:45 AM
Defard Defard is offline
Senior Member
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 205
Default

So after a lot of umming and aahing I finally went for it.

I am very impressed with the overall result and can firmly recommend it.

I didnt think I would like it as 1) I prefer tactical level and 2) it looked too simplistic for operational level (Not like 'Arnhem' or 'Tobruk' on the spectrum), luckily I was wrong.

NEGATIVES
I dont like the fact that there is no narrative about the units (which I thought there was on the pc version?) so its more about comparing stats than something giving me the heads-up. And I assume that I have to buy the allied general dlc to play as the good-guys.
MAIN NEGATIVE is the battery drain....you would think you were playing Infinity Blade or running some state of the art tech demo for how this drains battery life.

Aside from these things though I heartily recommend it. If you happen to sit next to a guy playing this on a London - Stockholm flight, say "Hello" its probably me.
Reply With Quote
  #197  
Old 07-14-2014, 05:49 PM
Best75 Best75 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 324
Default

There's a sale on this game now
Reply With Quote
  #198  
Old 07-15-2014, 04:08 AM
Wisely Wisely is offline
Member
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 75
Default

Wow from US$19.99 to US$9.99. Looks like a permanent reduction in price?

Very tempted to get this app now.
Reply With Quote
  #199  
Old 07-15-2014, 04:42 AM
Best75 Best75 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 324
Default

The sale is for the 3 year anniversary since it's release on the PC
Sale lasts for the week
Reply With Quote
  #200  
Old 07-20-2014, 06:30 AM
flyinjack flyinjack is offline
Junior Member
iPad 2, OS 4.x
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3
Default

Was going to buy it today but it looks like the price went back up....

Wasn't meant to be is suppose
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent