Universal Real Racing 3 by Electronic Arts

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by matthew-13, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Well, I sure it's out by the US launch. So support my EA boycott for now. Don't buy anything EA or any inapps until they remove the wait timers.

2. Kris1974

Kris1974 Member

Sep 21, 2012
    #902 Kris1974, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
    Game Impressions

This is probably the entire point of the soft launch in a few countries - to see what the consumer would wear in terms of IAP price point.

If they had started at these 'new' prices/wait times, everyone would probably still have been just as mortified.

Maybe we/you/everyone has played into their hands...make a price/wait time reduction seem awesome, when in fact, there is still loads of IAP/waiting...just a thought :)

3. Surely they wouldn't do this on purpose? Let's face it the game has already been slammed by certain websites and has a notorious reputation already after only a few days. Would that really be their plan for that to happen just so they can improve things days later, when those initial reviews will still be there tarnishing its name? I don't think so.

They have realised they'd pushed it too far and made a mistake, and tried to rectify it quick before any more negative reviews appear. Simple.

4. Kris1974

Kris1974 Member

Sep 21, 2012
    well, okay maybe not a conspiracy, just testing the water then

5. racer-007

racer-007 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Good point. Very possible. Imagine all iOS game sites (which never openly criticize this model) now have article saying all timers reduced by 50%. And this was EAs plan all along. PR masterstroke. EA is known to be shrewd so again this is very possilb.e

6. Hardly a "masterstroke", when they risked every review site out there posting a very negative initial review, bearing in mind a lot of them don't actually update the review when updates arise.

7. killy billy

killy billy Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    planet iphone/ipad
    I know 1 site that will update the review asap :rolleyes:

8. racer-007

Feb 15, 2013
    Maybe EA sent a memo to them stating that this is not the final version of the game and ask them to wait for Feb 28 to make review? Makes sense cause not a single review on a notable site.

9. Wrong. Appspy wrote a very negative review plus uploaded an accompanying negative video review on YouTube.

10. racer-007

Feb 15, 2013
    I never hear of them before. I doubt they are the major/main review sites. So they missed the memo.

edit; plus 3 star is hardly 'very negative'

11. ktern

ktern Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    If you were actually racing and crashed into stuff, you'd need to get your car repaired and that'd take time. I guess the part where you can shell out some sort of higher-order currency isn't realistic, but gold coins aside I've noticed that RR3 tries much harder to be a racing simulator than RR2. You know, living up to its name.

I'm not surprised that bugs people, considering that it's a VERY different game from RR2. I think it makes sense overall, though.

Two things I really wish they'd work on right now: one-touch repair/servicing. I don't want to click through a whole bunch of items when I want to fix up each of my cars, that gets tedious fast. Also, the music is REALLY bad. Oh man. I don't remember RR2's music at all, but if it was nearly this bad I'm sure I would.

12. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Finally I've learnt my lesson. I will never buy an EA affiliated game again. No massive loss to them I'm sure. My next 720 or PC or Ouya etc will do just as fine without them as they will without me.

It's not that there isn't fun to be had here. I just remembered the reaction from the EA fat cats reacting to them being named the worst company in the world. They didn't care. They were playing the long game. As far as I can see they're still far too short sighted.

Big corps have being doing this to exciting/profitable "youth" industries forever. No more so then with the exploitation of music. Releasing a bogus version of a once great franchise echoes countless artists frustrations over the past few decades.

However ugly the actions of the associated companies, the media industries live on and the fans adapt. Historically the companies that squeeze the consumer too hard are the 1st to sink. EA will be gone or bought or liquidated.

Doubtful?! No worries. Just remember its not the candle that retains the heat but the fuel that follows it.

13. Lol yes probably missed the memo :D

Well there are some quite negative comments in the review so there :p

Well I still like this game a lot. However just having to wait 20 minutes for another car I have just purchased, or pay to have it now for 7 coins. Think that's a bit of a wait, considering they reduced other wait times. I understand they want something for the player to spend their gold coins on, but heck!

Yes this game does have some negatives. But yes i'd probably give it a good score, just not perfect by any means.

14. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Mount Panorama is the best track so far, up hill, short-s and a long down is gorgeous, baby!

15. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Testing the water while torturing fans?! For the last two days have I just been waterboarded?!!!

16. racer-007

Feb 15, 2013
    That downhill is just exhillirating. Yes, thats the right word. Same with the roller coaster turn in laguna seca. And the quick climb to hill on spa.

Actually guys, my fav track in the game is the melbourne street track. When the track is empty such a joy to drive. But to win from 22 to 1 in 2/3 laps in a matter of impossibility,.

17. Good points above :)

I turned music off in the settings after 15 mins. Didn't think it was too bad, but prefer a bit of quiet between and during races.

And yes I played RR2 yesterday, and the feel is so much better in this. The drifting when you turn the corner at too high a speed (with brake assistance set to Low) really kicks the back end out and slows you down as it would in real life, so you really need to start thinking of breaking before the corner not during. The mini-map by your car at the bottom helps determine the sharpness of upcoming corners.
    Setting brake assist to Low really benefits with times, for those complaining they don't get anywhere. Ok you may bump your car more, or skid off the track more, but the reward is there in the end.

18. hellscaretaker

hellscaretaker Well-Known Member

May 27, 2012
    Im a youtube gamer/streamer
    i come across Appspy by the care of many vidoes that they upload to youtube. I cant really see that reviews are the many factor for the change im sure its down to the feedback that us the players have been giving for the change in time when doing repairs.

Yet we all forget that the game is NOT officially out untill the 28 Feb but a soft launch (term i picked up from somewhere....) i would not be surprised if there be more changes to the game ahead of the offical release world wide.

Dare say they beta testing the game data and the servers making twinks here and there before it goes live around the world and even more players join in.

19. racer-007

Feb 15, 2013
    #919 racer-007, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
    Guys, I just realized something! The timer is still old. It simply says it will take lesser time, but once I go back to the main menu it shows the old "long" time. My Porsche was supposed to take three hours to repair an hour ago, but now it is shown as 9 hours. Somethings not correct

UPDATE: but wow, some repairs are INSTANT now! I repair break line leak for instant!!!

20. krautboy

krautboy Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Where did they try harder to be a racing simulator?
    Just doing the best time on a track wihout any interaction,slipstreaming and so on is hardly real racing.
    To me with all that non-interactive drones on the field it's more like an arcade rally game. Trying to set the best lap time with moving objects.