Playstation Vita Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Haruhi, Dec 12, 2011.

1. #3781 Haruhi, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  2. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    It will probably be more here in the UK I suspect but if it does turn out to be Vita I think I will buy it anyway as long as they don't make to many of them I'd appreciate the extra races.

Guess time will tell.

3. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    CPU doesn't push pixels or really have much impact with gaming. A good CPU only come in handy with heavy physics calculations, advanced AI and tons of enemies onscreen. It can try to take over some of the rendering load if the GPU becomes overburdened, but in that case it tends to overheat and doesn't do a very good job.

I think, with retina taken into account, the vita and iPad 4 are about equal. But the iPad doesn't necessarily have to push full 1536p...

4. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

still, if both the iPad 4 and the Vita would be running games at the full resolution (wich both don't always do, espechially the vita) the iPad would have to power just slightly over 6 times as many pixels.

If the iPad 4 was running at the old resolution of 1024 x 768 there'd still be slightly over one and a half times as many pixels.

5. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    2x pixels doesn't necessarily mean you need 2x more powerful GPU.

6. Der-Kleine

#3786 Der-Kleine, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
    No, but I can tell you there is still a massive difference in performance.

As an example here's how good my (by now rather old) laptop is at running Battlefield 3 at different resolutions comparing 1080p to 720p (1080p is 2,25 times more pixels):
    On the lowest settings at 1080p the game usually runs at round about 20 fps,
    whereas with low - medium settings at 720p it easily gets manages framerates between 25 and 40 fps.

It's not running twice as fast (so yeah, I know that what you said is right), but it's still a big difference.
    With the iPad 4 vs Vita comparison one of course has to remember that the hardware (and software) isn't the same, the iPad 4 technically being faster but at the same time the difference in screenresolution is also much higher.
    Comparing how much the software slows things down is difficult, because I/we don't really know enough about both operating systems, etc. One we do know is that, being a console, devs have more direct access to the hardware on the Vita than with an iPad (or any other iOS device).

I'm not an expert on these things so what I say may not be 100% accurate, but I think it's safe to say that there are quite a few factors that allow the Vita to power technically more impressive games.

7. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    It's a huge difference. My PC can't run RE5 but at 720p, and we're talking a decent computer here with 8gb of RAM and a 512mb nVidia card.

And thus the reason why my purchase of an iPad 3 was regretted, and Apple got another $600 just because I wanted to play games with a good framerate :rolleyes:

8. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    To many variables between the devices really to judge fairly but I do know the vita has good controls and will get much bigger development budgets for games with the exception of maybe infinity blade.

So for me Vitas the best option for gaming regardless of how powerful iPads get, I also think the variety of prices on Vita is better than I expected sure there are outrageously priced games like COD but there are also quite cheap gems like Mutant Blobs attack and Motorstorm RC

9. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
  10. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    LOL. Avatar pictures are $3.

11. h0130j03

h0130j03 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    If the ultimate speed pack isn't released on the Vita, that's gonna really suck.

12. turkgames

turkgames Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    Student
    Ankara
    Which game do you think have the best graphics on Vita?

13. turkgames

May 1, 2009
    Student
    Ankara
    Anyone playing Persona 4 Golden? I'm not into JRPG stuff but i like some FF games but the graphics kinda look old cause of ps2 and I don't know if it's worth the price

14. JeNeI

JeNeI Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Student
    Romania
    #3794 JeNeI, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
    Then this S*CKS!!!

Currently I'm waiting for my White PSVita to arrive ($180 deal),haven't got it yet,because I live in Europe,and I already bought :

- Uncharted : GA (only have 4GB card).
    - Most Wanted
    - ACIII : L (free with the bundle)
    - LBP Vita (will arrive a bit later than the console)
    - $60 ready for PS+

In the future I might consider a 16GB card.

15. #3795 Haruhi, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
    Uncharted, Wipeout, or Virtua Tennis 4.

Persona 4 is my favorite game of all time and is one of the highest rated games this year. It has an intriguing story (none of that typical "teenagers saving the world" JRPG plot), excellent character development (you'll love all of the protagonists by the end of the game), and addictive monster-collecting element. The only real negatives are the somewhat dated graphics and possibly the length of the game. Expect around 60 hours on your first playthrough.

16. Der-Kleine

Wipeout 2048.

17. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Wipeout 2048 does have good graphics and the DLC is awesome but uncharted is the one that makes me reappreciate the Vita every time I play it. I think it's the waterfalls and stuff that impress me most about it.

18. Der-Kleine

It's technically not rendered in real time, but the stuff you can do with the screenshot mode in Wipeout is just amazing, and it's really easy to make something really impressive looking, wich is why I like it. And the zone mode looks pretty crazy too.
    It's hard to call something the best at anything, so yeah, uncharted and wipeout are definetly among the best looking games. Wich really is the best is a matter of oppinion.

19. turkgames

May 1, 2009
    Student
    Ankara
    I think they should announce more games because there are only KZ: Mercenary and Soul Sacrifice in my list

20. LucianOrb

LucianOrb Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Brazil
    Rayman, Uncharted and Wipeout.