iPad The World Ends with You: Solo Remix (by SQUARE ENIX INC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by chaos_envoys, Aug 26, 2012.

1. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    You're absolutely right.

However if you want to start a thread about devs purposefully restricting games, like TWENY or Catan, you're more than welcome too.

2. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    #502 geoelectric, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
    Thanks for the clarification. It's not my intention to derail the thread or make anyone upset.

I've created a General thread here. I encourage anyone who was talking on this subject to go there.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=2408535#post2408535

3. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

#503 ednan, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
    PS1 games doesn't work on my PS3, my SNES cartridges won't fit in my Gamecube, etc. etc. They are all so shady and evil!
    They didn't take away anything of you, because you hadn't it in the first place. Flawed logic is flawed. It's their product, and if you feel ofended, that's not their problem... seriously...
    Btw, Apple is the devil, Siri works flawlessly on iPhone 4, and iOS 6 won't be coming to my iPod/iPad, and will be crippled in some devices, definitely the incarnation of the devil.

4. MrAlbum

MrAlbum Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Student
    Alaska
    Snark adds very little to the discussion, no matter how satisfying it may be xD

I'm getting drawn further and further into this game every day I play it. It FEELS like it was supposed to be released for iOS first, for some reason! It turned me into a sparkly-eyed fanboy over the course of a single day, which is something that has NEVER happened before for iOS. I am simply blinded by the game's awesomeness @_@

Also, I seem to be picking up references to Japanese mythology from the enemy designs. If that's the case, then the noise could be the modern equivalent of Japanese tengu, with the characters acting as the modern-day shamans/monks trying to "keep the balance", whether or not the characters see things that way.

It's just a thought, and there are flaws in the logic, but I find the analogue interesting to me ^_^

5. bruab

bruab Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Actually I think compatibility issues are an important factor when someone is evaluating whether to buy a game. Which is why they would read a thread like this. It's sad that they may have drowned out discussions of gameplay (which appears to be excellent), but that's not OUR fault.

6. panama chief

panama chief Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    damn 2 days later and this convo still going on? wheres my get over it jpeg?

7. bruab

bruab Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    [​IMG]

8. TicTac

TicTac Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    I watched Sanuku's videos, this game seems to be filled with dialog! I'm concerned that dialog takes up more of the game than actual gameplay itself. How much of the game is actually combat?

9. geoelectric

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Quite a bit. When you get to a combat area and scan, there are a bunch of little icons floating around that start battles. You can play through a ton of them before actually leaving the area and starting another story segment.

The beginning of the game is just particularly dialog-heavy because it's setting stuff up, and it hasn't taught you combat yet. Once combat is in full swing, it balances well.

10. Gabriel.Voyager

Gabriel.Voyager Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Turin - Italy
    Wow!
    A JRPG with a story and a ton of dialog?! How they dare?! :D
    Yes TWEWY is a fine JRPG with a wonderful story and ton of dialog, if you want only combat IB2 cost less :)

11. Urthop

Urthop Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    While this is very true, it's something that's now spanning at least half of a 50 pages large post. You'd have to be really dense to not get the point after say 5 pages, and now I'm being extremely generous :p

12. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

You seem to miss the point that all those Dialog are pushing the Story forward and not are just therr to stretch the Gameplay Time.

But to answer your Question:

There is plenty of Combat. Especially after Day Four when you are able to get deeper into the hole fighting System and a few of the other Parts are open up to you the Combat System really does finally start to Kick-ass and makes really, really much Fun.

And yes at the same Time the Story Dialog do indeed increase too and overall everything would be perfect if Square Enix wouldn`t be such damn Money C*ck Sucking B*tches and had done what they had done.

13. MrAlbum

MrAlbum Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Student
    Alaska
    I do feel for ya. I think some posts back before the hullabaloo broke, people were saying that it crashes because the iTouch 4G doesn't have enough memory to play it. Hence the crashing. I think it's because of the music and the hi-def artwork in tandem with very fluid graphics. It's a lot to process, evidently.

Is iTouch your only device? If so, man I feel for ya. I'd recommend playing it on a supported device if you have one. If you don't, you can always ask Apple for a refund, they're good at getting that sort of thing squared away (no pun intended xD).

In any case, I believe about a page or two back, there was a link to a new thread where you can get a much better answer. This thread, after all, is for game impressions, not technical help with the iPod incompatibility.

Hope that helps!

Sincerely,

Mr. Album

14. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    #514 VeganTnT, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
    Game Impressions

First off: PS1/PS2/PS3 discs ALL work in my Ps3... And you seem to be forgetting PSONE and PS2 classics, which are just run in an emulator.

It's ironic that you state flawed logic is flawed because your logic is so in fact seriously flawed because aside from the PS3. What? My Blu-Ray player can't play 8 tracks? You mean my record player can't play sheet music!?

This is more like you owning a Gamecube and a Wii. You set up the Gamecube in your bedroom and leave the Wii in your living room. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess comes out on both systems and now you have to make a decision on which version to get. The smart money is to buy the Gamecube version so you can play in your room and if you want to play in the living room the game will work just fine. If you get the Wii version you can only play in the living room. So you take your gamecube game into the living room and find out you can't play it on your wii because it's restricted to the gamecube because a modem adapter needs to be installed... even though it never uses it. All because they want you to buy their game twice.

In the real world, yeah, things like this happen and you can't be surprised at companies trying to make more money. What I can be mad at is that they specifically broke the rules of the Appstore. You can't arbitrarily lock your app to a device with fake requirements, once you state your app is compatible with a device it must ALWAYS be compatible with that device, and you can't send push notifications for advertising, promotions, or direct marketing of any kind. So many devs break the rules that people think it's the norm, it's not and if people want to speak their mind on it they are welcome to. Whether it be in this thread or any other.

That being said, my disdain for a developer's actions is completely separate from my thoughts on the game.

TWENY is one of my top ten games on all platforms, that's how much I love it. I bought it on launch and I've continued to play it for 4 (maybe 5?) years.

I got to play the iOS version a bit last night thanks to a friend and here are just a few thoughts.

The graphics look fantastic, after staring at the largely pixelated DS screen so long made me lose track of the beauty of this artwork.

The sound is anemic on the iPhone headphones. I tried them with my old Shure E5c and the sound was immaculate since it's all uncompressed but I really wanted it the bass to be heavier, I feel it would fit better with the overall theme.

Combat on the single screen is more difficult than the DS. On the DS you have several options for your partner the default being a 2sec delay before the game takes over their actions. My first DS playthrough I NEVER used my partner, with enemies appearing on both screens you could stand still and your partner would continue fighting. On iOS you have to manually fight with your partner which makes things more chaotic, add to this the inherent lack of precision when using the touch screen and it becomes even tougher.

Now those may sound like complaints but rest assured they are not. The game was made to be chaotic and frantic during the battles. It was not made for you to stand perfectly still taking easy shots while your partner chips away at the noise. If an enemy is next to you there is no way to put a precision flame wall on them, you need to move/dodge. It becomes a much more interesting game of stick and move. The way it was designed to be benefits, in my opinion, from the switch.

I'm not sure about how tin pin and mingle PP work since I couldn't get that far in my time with the game but I hope to hear from my friend about it soon.

My major concern with things like this is that Square Enix may have altered things like using twitter for mingle PP or maybe removing a feature like they did with the hidden card game in Final Fantasy II for iOS.

If you haven't played the game and you can spare 2.3GB then this is the definitive version... just don't expect it to work on your iPad ;)

If you own the DS version then you aren't missing much, it'll boil down to how much you want the game on your iPhone.

15. geoelectric

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks for this reply. Your thoughts mirror mine almost exactly (including my love for the game). I've been trying to be quiet since it was suggested I take the thread elsewhere, but it was very difficult not to respond to the criticism pointing out the Wii/GC analogy myself.

Again, I don't want discussion to annoy people to the point where they minimize the issue out of hand, so I'd encourage anyone also upset about the iPad block to join the thread in General here.

16. Rusothil

Rusothil Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011
    First of all, WOW. So glad I took the plunge, this is the rpg experience I've been wanting for so long. Secondly, is there a reason not to cash in a money pin?

17. Ozes

Ozes Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2012
    What's all the Hype about here??? 50 pages of comments for an rpg that is priced at 20$. The crazy thing is people are not balking at all at this price tag. I watched the video but still not sure what all the hype is about this game. Can someone explain?

18. Ajstadel

Ajstadel Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Great and difficult battle system, amazing plot, phenomenal soundtrack, and very high production values.
    EDIT: And it's a port of a DS game that still sells for $20 minimum.

19. shero89

shero89 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2012
    The World Ends With You is one of the greatest RPG titles on the Nintendo DS and Square Enix made a port of that great game on ios devices with enhanced graphics as for the price tag that's considered normal for games from Square Enix but in return you receive a top notch quality game worth the price ( check the DS version price on Amazon or eBay you'll find it even more expensive ) so you seriously can't expect a game like that to make it's debut with less than this price!!

20. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    The original DS cartridge still sells for around $30. The price, though high in comparison to other iOS games, is perfectly reasonable.

The game itself is one of the best DS games and as I stated before one of my top ten games. It's a really good game and this version has uncompressed music and HD artwork which make the price tag even more justifiable.

Check out some reviews on the DS version (though you might find some iOS starting to appear if you search for them)