Reserving App Names

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by readysetretro, Dec 17, 2012.

1. readysetretro

readysetretro Well-Known Member

I understand that iTunes connect allows devs to register for an App name without submitting a binary. However, after 120 days (some sources say 90, I haven't verified) you lose the name, and the ability to resubmit with the same name again.

So... How is that games like Star Command, Prevail, and other well known, long development process games secure that app name when it comes down to release? Anybody could steal the name before the devs are prepared to submit to Apple.

2. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Submit a build without releasing it to the public. If I understand correctly this will reserve the name to you permanently.

3. readysetretro

Thanks Blackharon, I looked into this briefly and found a discussion here
    Seems some people have run into issues with Apple by using this loophole around Apple's policy regarding squatting on names.
    Anybody tried this or other methods?

4. Jez Hammond

Jez Hammond Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2012
    It someone is genuinely going to release a game under said name then they should be able to get something out sooner or later if they did run out of time. So uploading a binary and then self-rejecting is an acceptable solution.

What surprised me though is one of the facts says that if you delete a name (AppID) then it really can never be used again by anyone! Before I registered Attic Eyes it did have a different name, I now have that old name reserved and no use for it or any point in deleting it.

5. readysetretro

I would imagine Apple must have some part in the protection of names, otherwise anyone could make a "Fieldrunners 3", or other such scam apps