Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 08-09-2014, 11:33 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Thanks for the support everyone!

If you're familiar with us you probably know we've only made puzzle games up to this point, but The Outcast marks our first step in a new company direction. This is but the first of many, so we can't express enough how awesome it is to hear your support.

There's a couple questions floating around here about Godville and MTN. Although we think those are awesome works, and equally challenge the idea of what a game is, we're not going for something so meta. The Outcast, in it's current form is a somewhat blank canvas because we are inviting fans to join in and help us make it.

Rest assured, there will be choices, there will be outcomes, and there will be a story that will slowly unfold. Jumping in now just means you get to see it in it's first iteration. We're doing bi-weekly updates, first on on August 21st, and that will alter the game in exciting new ways.

We realize that this might not be for everybody, and that's ok, but so far we're hearing from fans that this is exactly the kind of experience (both in game and out) that they've been looking for.

Let us know if you have any ideas, thoughts, etc.

And thanks again for the many votes of confidence!
Old 08-09-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMachine View Post
Thanks for the support everyone!

If you're familiar with us you probably know we've only made puzzle games up to this point, but The Outcast marks our first step in a new company direction. This is but the first of many, so we can't express enough how awesome it is to hear your support.

There's a couple questions floating around here about Godville and MTN. Although we think those are awesome works, and equally challenge the idea of what a game is, we're not going for something so meta. The Outcast, in it's current form is a somewhat blank canvas because we are inviting fans to join in and help us make it.

Rest assured, there will be choices, there will be outcomes, and there will be a story that will slowly unfold. Jumping in now just means you get to see it in it's first iteration. We're doing bi-weekly updates, first on on August 21st, and that will alter the game in exciting new ways.

We realize that this might not be for everybody, and that's ok, but so far we're hearing from fans that this is exactly the kind of experience (both in game and out) that they've been looking for.

Let us know if you have any ideas, thoughts, etc.

And thanks again for the many votes of confidence!
Just bought the game. It may end up being great or it may end up being a bore. Either way, at least you are trying something different. I'm happy to support that. Best of luck!
Old 08-09-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrencH View Post
If it's like Godville then count me in. I play (read?) Godville everyday. Checking in on a self developing story sounds fun to me. In and out games are fun when you only have minutes to spare. =]
Same here. I heard about, and immediately installed, Godville about four months ago and have checked it multiple times a day every day since then. I already bought The Outcast and am admittedly only on Day 3 so I can't really comment on it yet. But it sounds ambitious as hell and I love the concept so I'll take this crazy ride with SimpleMachine.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:04 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

I think mine is broken. I get interesting notifications but whenever I open the app I am on 'day 1, you rummage around and find nothing'

I've had it installed since Thursday, and opened it... 10-15 times since then. Do I just need to open it more often?
Old 08-10-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniacfive View Post
I think mine is broken. I get interesting notifications but whenever I open the app I am on 'day 1, you rummage around and find nothing'

I've had it installed since Thursday, and opened it... 10-15 times since then. Do I just need to open it more often?
This happened to me too. I had to delete it from my phone and re-install it. Works fine since I did that.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:40 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einherjar View Post
This happened to me too. I had to delete it from my phone and re-install it. Works fine since I did that.
I've tried that. Didn't work. I'll try it again.

Edit. It works! Day 2. Excellent.

Edit2: notification 'you must cross a bridge'. Open app. Day 1, you rummage and find nothing please close the app./sigh

Last edited by Maniacfive; 08-10-2014 at 12:24 PM..
Old 08-11-2014, 09:26 PM

Has anyone had any luck doing anything good at all? I've restarted about six times now and I haven't once lasted more than 12 days. I run out of water, I get ambushed by bandits and animals. In the rare chance something good happens, it's completely irrelevant (+1 water when I drink 2 per day!!! +1 health from some kind strangers when I already had full health!!!).

I still love the concept, Devs, and I'm still checking in regularly. But if it doesn't get tuned for some positive random events, I don't know how many more restarts I can take. I understand it's supposed to be a difficult Roguelike, but.....we have to get SOMETHING good or lose interest fast.

I check in on my Godville character all the time -- he's 4 months old, has a badass pet and a bunch of high-level skills.

So why should I keep checking in on my Outcast when I die and start all over 5 times a day?
Old 08-11-2014, 11:31 PM

It's an interesting idea but unfortunately it's pretty boring. The notifications are kind of bland rpg type messages. I guess it requires little effort on the part of the player but I can't see myself sticking with it.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:17 PM

Love the idea. I have been opening and closing the app for a couple days now and I have some thoughts. First we need some more logical progression. I find that what bugs me most about this app is how random everything is one second I'm in a city the next time I open the app I'm in a forest and the day after I am back in the city it is entirely random and I don't get any feeling of progression whatsoever. Second, and this one shouldn't be as hard as the first to implement, we need to have the backgrounds change. When I am in the forest I would like to see a forest background instead of the city one. Finally some way to use money right now whenever something happens with money I feel that it's a wasted turn. Food and water are the only reliable ways to lengthen a play through and money feels altogether useless. I am very excited to see where this app goes! Thank you!
Old 08-25-2014, 09:45 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Wow, thanks so much for taking a chance on this crazy ambitious project with us.

We realize we got off to a bumpy start with the "rummaging" bug. So here's how we're making it up to you all.

First off, we are now doing WEEKLY content updates (show me another dev that rolls like we do, lol). We released our first content update on Saturday and immediately submitted our next one for review. This week we're prepping the third one.

For our first weekly update that just came out, we fixed the "rummaging" bug and added choices. That's right, choices! We're working on a post for our site where we discuss how we designed the event choice system. It's pretty awesome, and uses Google Docs so eventually we can add/remove/fix events remotely without waiting a week for Apple to approve it. That's a cool thing for us. The cool thing for you is that now when you find a shack there are some decisions to make that will affect the outcome. Check the video below to see what's new and such.

Youtube link | Pop Up

We really want to prove that these aren't rinky dinky "wait did the devs even update anything?" kinda updates. We're taking your direct feedback (all of it), then we put each idea submitted on an index card and we post it on the wall behind us, then, at the end of the week, once we have a new build released and submitted, we plan out the next week.

Here's what this week looks like:

For all of you who sent us feedback that you wanted less random events and more "cause and effect" style sequences. We've heard you loud and clear. This week we are adding our first zone (an area you can enter and stay in for a while). Think like entering a cave, after that initial event "Do you enter the cave?" you'll receive events and unravel a larger sequence in the cave. We're soooo excited to get this in, so if you have ideas for sequences or zones. Let us know.

Oh and by the end of the week, last week's sprint will release. It adds a few new events, and the highly requested journal feature so you can see previous events and such.

That's it for now. It looks like we have a lot of supporters here so we'll be checking in daily to see any new ideas, thoughts, or suggestions.

And EMAIL US!!! Tell us anything you think and it'll go up on the board. Seriously, one guy requested that you can have a pet falcon ... it's on the board (kinda excited about that one). You can write to us at fun@simplemachine.co or tweet if that's easier @simplmachinist

Thanks again for taking a chance on us, really, we can't express how much it means to us.

Kurt