Best Monetization Model For This Game

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Tempvus, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Tempvus

Tempvus Member

Jun 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    Greetings,

First time posting on this board but I have been a long time reader learning from all of you. I have a question as to what is the consensus monetization model for the following scenario. I have an iPad game with 4 types of modes. Each mode is a variation on the gameplay and presents the gamer with different types of difficulty and challenges.

My initial plan was to release the game for FREE and offer the first mode as the default gameplay mode and the other 3 can be unlocked at the same time with a single IAP. This is currently in the plans.

The second monetization model I've thought about is a variation of the first. The only difference is to charge individually for each additional mode.

The third idea is to charge $.99 or maybe even $1.99 for the full game. This is my least preferred for now as I have varying degrees of meager success with this $.99 model.

Thanks for any help.

2. Hobbsicle

Hobbsicle Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    It might depend on the exact nature of the game and the varying modes, but I might consider having that first mode free, charging, say, .99 for each additional mode, and including an option to buy all modes for 1.99. That way, buying the full game is easy and not a hassle for people, as well as making them feel like they got a better deal than buying them individually, while those who perhaps are only interested in one of the other modes can get that for less than the full game.

3. Tempvus

Tempvus Member

Jun 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. I didn't even think of that one. I will try to go that route.

4. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    IMO if you are going free you should have ads + any payment removes ads.

Most games have very poor conversion rates for free --> paid even ones that are pretty good because people play enough on the free version

5. NAFNA GAMES

NAFNA GAMES Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2013
    do stuff during the day. indie developer at night.
    Barcelona.
    freemium ?

as some members mention, it depends on your game model and quantity of content.

it turns out that this market does not "like" classic freemium ... people don't pay for extra content! the most popular IAP is some kind of "time" manipulation: build faster, get more workers, don't replay levels, or recharge energy bars ... but this works in very large content social games.

so, or go free with a game built for the mobile app freemium market, or go for free and make it go viral (i have no idea how), or make a great game and charge 1-2-3 dollars for it.

tough question. good luck.

6. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Unless you have a large following and marketing budget paid apps rarely do well sadly. I think making a free version is the right thing.

7. unexpect3rd

unexpect3rd Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2011
    Mobile Game Developer (Fulltime as well as indie)
    Singapore
    Sorry if it seems like I'm hijacking the thread, but I do think its relevant:

So i would be putting up a puzzle game soon (stage-based structured in the style of 'Strata'). I broke the game down into "Chapters" with which chapter being 30 stages long (increasing difficulty) and also introducing a new mechanic at every new chapter. I have 8 chapters planned with the first 4 chapters free (120 stages) and the other 4 chapters to be unlock-able via two IAPs (or one, if they purchase the bundle). It would be ad supported until a purchase is made. And there is also a consumable hint system which can be topped up via IAP.

Would this model be viable? Because, I'd really rather do this than what halfbrick did with 'Bears vs Art' (energy system...in a puzzle game)