Sanuku - cost of all those gameplay vids

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Sanuku, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

#1 Sanuku, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
    Offtopic:

It`s fine. You can ask since it isn`t a Secret. I have currently a Deal with my Boss that I can use a VPN to my Home Network and surf the hole Day on TouchArcade.com as long as my Work is done at the Evening.

At Times like today I usually even have the Freedom to left the Office for a few Hours to play all those Games, create the HD Gameplay Trailer and then return to my Work.

That sometimes leads to strange Working Hours but as long as my Work is done I can easily return to my Work back since I`m living very close to it.

About those HD Gameplay Trailers:

Yes they are created by myself to avoid any Copyright Policy. Youtube is very strict in this Case and I can tell you that a lot of People that I know since a few Years had got a lot of Troubles because of just taking other Trailers, cutting them together and uploading them.

Sure it would save me a lot of Time if I would do it the other Way around but the Result would be as shitty as it can get.

Take a look at the Video Review of Infinity Blade II at IGN . They didn`t created the Material for that Trailer on their own and that`s why the Quality and the used Screen Resolution is changing the hole Time and also the Main Hero does have in one Scene Shadows and in some Not.

That`s overall just because a few Editors are as lazy as it can get and I would kick their Ass if I would be their CEO.

Is it worth it or do I get paid for it by TouchArcade?

Let`s just do a simple Math. Take a look at today`s Bill:

[​IMG]

As you can easily count that`s only one Day and I can assure that I have seen already Days where it been 50+. So it`s save to say that I`m spending around $200 each Month on the iTunes Store.

Yeah it does sound like it would be really a lot - $200 are $200 you have to first earn before you can spend and we all know that Money isn`t growing ont the Trees.

But there is a catch that isn`t easy to see and I will show you the little Secret:

Since I`m from Europe I don`t pay in $ I pay in €. Which might sound strange makes it actually a lot cheaper for me then anyone else ( Maybe if I would shop at the Russian iTunes Store it could be cheaper :D ) since those $200 are €156 and if you cut that through 4 Weeks that are each Week like €39 which isn`t that much since I`m driving currently a Car that does eat more Diesel each Week then that.

So do I regret it spending those €39 each Week? Not really. Nobody is forcing me to do so. I`m not getting paid by TouchArcade to create those HD Gameplay Trailers but I don`t see a Reason to post them at IGN/Gametrailers/SlidetoPlay were they actually have People on their Pay List that do nothing else then that the hole Day and trust me when I tell you that they are Lazy and if I could I would wipe their Ass for that laziness.

So if your Main Question was if I`m spending a lot on the iTunes Store - Hell yes I do. Do I regret it?

No, not at All. I could smoke that €39 through with some bad Shit and would have nothing then a headache the next Day. By creating those HD Gameplay Trailers at least a few Developer do have more Units sold and some of you can cry me a River how bad my Gameplay is :D

I`m pretty sure he and his Friends had a bet running if I`m actually paying for those Games or if I am someone from Apple.

2. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    I have to applaud you for your work. Seriously, you contribute a ton to these forums with your gameplay videos. I do have to ask though, do you ever get a chance to finish a full game with all the apps you own? I honestly can't see myself going back to any single game if I played as many games as you.

3. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #3 backtothis, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
    Do you play games on any other platforms? If not, then you're not spending too much money on games. Definitely a lot iOS-wise though I guess. It's a whole different story if we're talking about the amount of time you're spending contributing to TA though. Definitely commendable. I enjoy watching your gameplay videos, and look forward to them every Wednesday morning/afternoon. It's awesome you give the community a great glimpse of what all the releases are like long before they're available, especially for us here in the US. I'd imagine it'd be hard/impossible for someone who works full time to finish even 1/10 of the games you've bought for the iOS. I spend $50-$100 monthly on just iOS games, and I'm not even able to finish 1/5 of them. In any case, I hope you enjoy doing what you do, and are not just buying games for the sole purpose of making gameplay videos for us.

4. Barcâ

Barcâ Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Would you mind sharing your video recording setup? how DO you do it?!!

This is something that I have been trying to figure out but keep coming up stumped.

5. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    *applause*

I definitely commend you for your work as well. I really doubt that there is anyone out there that works as hard as you to put together so many gameplay videos each week for the TouchArcade community, and probably any community at all for that matter.

6. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Applause* You've helped me decide to buy a game very often and you're really important to this forum, thanks for your work around here :)

7. Red1

Red1 Moderator

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    *more applause* Thanks for all your efforts on the game-play vids Sanuku. It's always great to see the newest games so clearly. You're awesome!

8. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
  9. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Some maniac is currently in the process of spamming the front page comments with threats about how he will post every 5 minutes until Sanuku is brought to justice!!!

Someone call the internet police.

10. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I always assumed Sanuku got promo codes for all the games he posts videos of. He is doing the developers a service and they should be happy to help him in that way. Perhaps Touch Arcade could facilitate that (Hodapp)?

In any case, thanks so much Sanuku! You are part of what makes these forums great!

11. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Sucks you even have to defend yourself Sanuku.

Although I guess I shouldn't be surprised someone has that much time to take out a personal vendetta against you. I would figure they're most likely a child. ;)

You'd be surprised how much some of us have spent on apps around here, before Sanuku it was Big Albie. I guess it's hard for kids to imagine actually paying for whatever apps they wanted.. :rolleyes:

12. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator

Jul 30, 2009
    Another thanks to Sanuku on several levels.

First and foremost the gameplay videos - for good or for bad (you can look at that so many ways) have convinced me or saved me from buying SO many games. Sometimes I watch only as much to get the concept so I don't ruin the begin inning of the game but other times I watch several times through. Then don't forget the walkthrough videos for some games that are tricky. So for all the effort and time that takes away from real life I too applaud you.

Second, though on a purely selfish level - not only does Sanuku take the time to do the vids up right and all, he will send me the link in the proper format to add to a thread so it is merely a simple cut and paste action for me. He knows how I feel about this but I did want to make a shout out that he takes the extra effort behind the scenes as well.

And (don't get mad at me for this Sanuku), he is quite humble. I started to add in the edits "adding Sanuku's video" for why I might edit a post when he told me that was not necessary and he wasn't looking for the credit. It wasn't "credit" to me because I thought people should know where all these videos were mysteriously coming from, but he said he just liked to do it for the forum.

13. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Thank you again Sanuku for all of your hard work!

It is much appreciated. :)

14. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

Agreed same here! Your a legend :)

15. Xapped

Xapped Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Apple should give you like a reviewer account that gives you access to all games or something.

16. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Apple should link every one of this videos to the app in the app store.

17. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Thanks for all the quick uploads. Hero of Sparta II still wasn't freemium. ;)

18. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    I find myself mainly looking for Sanuku's gameplay video when I'm looking into a thread about a new game that I don't know anything about.

So for that, thanks Sanuku. :) Very much appreciate your videos of games no matter what the game's genre or quality.

19. Thumbs up to @Sanuku. Most release trailers are useless to even get a sense of the gameplay. I also based my purchases on quite a few of your videos.:)

20. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    Sanuku's gameplay videos are almost always the first thing that i look for when i have to decide whether or not to buy a game. I always assumed that he was on TA staff. Silly of me. But it's really incredible that he is neither paid by TA (I probably have no right to say this, but they should) and also has to pay for games (which he really shouldn't have to). His videos have been a ton of help to me, and as can be understood from the replies here, to others. A huge, heartfelt thanks to Sanuku.

But as others have asked, how in the world do you make those videos? I wanted to make a video of a bike baron level i recently made... and have been googling without any simple answers yet.