Setting the "Availability Day" on the day the "Ready for Sale" email arrives not work

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by karlth, Sep 30, 2009.

1. karlth

karlth Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Iceland
    Twice now I have set the Availability Day to the current day around 3-4 hours after the "Ready for Sale" email and in both cases neither application has been displayed in the New Releases list.

I have submitted around 8 updates before and this has always worked. Did something change after the iTunesConnect outage last weekend?

Has anyone successfully updated an application in the last week and seen it appear on the New Release list?

2. NJ Software

NJ Software Member

Sep 26, 2009
    iPhone app developer
    I'm having the same problem. I had an app approved for sale on 9/28/09, set the availability date to the same day shortly after receiving the approval e-mail, but the release date still shows as 9/19/09. It's been almost 2 days since I changed the availability date, yet the release date still doesn't change in iTunes. As a result, my app was never at the top of the new release list.

My app is brand new, as opposed to an update. I'm not sure if that affects the problem we're seeing.

I sent a message to Apple through iTunes Connect about the problem, but they haven't responded.

3. Vexxed

Vexxed Active Member

Sep 8, 2009
    I'm in the exact same boat. App was approved on the 28th, but the date is stuck at the 16th.

4. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    My last update was about two weeks ago, and it went up fine. Looks like updates went up fine for many yesterday, given the listed dates. Hopefully this is just a glitch, and not a blanket change. Without the bump, we don't have a lot of reasons to give people free updates.

5. Vexxed

Vexxed Active Member

Sep 8, 2009
    I had an update for one of our other apps go live the day before our new app went live. The release date on the update worked fine, but the date on the new one wouldn't change.

6. PixelthisMike

PixelthisMike Well-Known Member

Apart from keeping the customer satisfied of course! ;)

7. NJ Software

NJ Software Member

Sep 26, 2009
    iPhone app developer
    Maybe the problem is only with new apps then. I know of other people who have had updates (not new apps) approved recently who have not had this problem. The app I'm having a problem with is a new app.

8. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Well hopefully the game was satisfying to begin with. :)

9. karlth

karlth Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Iceland
    #9 karlth, Sep 30, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
    No, I had the same problem when updating version 1.4 of one of my apps.

I changed the "Availability Date" both times around 3-6 hours after I got the confirmation email.

(It seems to be working for some as I'm looking at 4 "applications" from the infamous McApps at the top of the Adventure category)

10. jeanmm

jeanmm Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2009
    I had same problem yesterday, but successfully changed the release date on an App on the 28th, so hopefully this is a temporary feature rather than related to all that crap from last week.

11. mrvsoftware

mrvsoftware Member

Jul 16, 2009
    I have the same problem, I had two new apps approved yesterday, one data change was succesful ( app was approved at 11:10 am pdt ) the other not, just shows with submitted date in the app store ( app was approved 1:32 pm pdt)
    The date changed app is in the utilities section, the one with the problem is in the games section (action/puzzle).

12. jeanmm

jeanmm Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2009
    I've had a new thought on this one - the games took an abnormally long time to go live (even for iTunes!), and went live the same day, even though they were submitted a week apart. I think what may happened, is that they were actually put live on the dates that are now listed as Release Date which were 19th and 26th, but that iTunes may have still been a bit broken on those days, so they didn't actually go live. They probably actually went live on the 30th when a backlog got cleared, or something.

I hope that makes sense...

13. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    Someone brought something to my attention today… Could the reason apps aren't showing at the beginning of the "recent apps" queue be because Apple are approving circa 700-1400 apps per day?

14. quantumsheep

quantumsheep Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    The Head Cheese, Top Dog, Numero Uno Honcho, Quant
    London
    #14 quantumsheep, Oct 8, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
    I've had my first app approved today! Went straight to iTunes connect and changed the release date to today's date.

I assume there's a wait still before it's available on the app store? Do you get an email confirmation saying it's on the store?

Many thanks in advance - very excited :D

QS

EDIT - no worries - it went live about an hour later! :D

15. rohitvats

rohitvats Active Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Software Developer
    London
    set availability date in future

Just wondering, is there a way to set the release date in future, once the "ready for sale" email arrives?

16. bossman696

bossman696 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Graphic Designer, Commercial Printer
    Alabama
    date changes...

Date changes for updates have to come BEFORE the email that states it is ready for sale. I change the date of my pending updates every morning until the it is actually released. This has always worked for me. You have to change it to the current date. Any future date will remove the older version of your APP from the iTunes Store until that date.

So you have to be careful....

17. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Before and after seems to work. I've done dozens of updates, and have always changed it AFTER the email arrives, with zero problems. Whether they've changed this in the last week, I have no idea. But I've been going through the same update routine for a year now.

18. bossman696

bossman696 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Graphic Designer, Commercial Printer
    Alabama
    Interesting....

That's have NEVER work for me..... interesting...

19. Knight

Knight Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Game Developer
    Same for me. As soon as I get the email I change to current date.

Note that out of the several updates I have done, only once has Apple not sent me an email that the app was ready for sale. Not sure why, but thankfully someone at TA posted about the update which I saw and was able to change the date that same day.

20. rdklein

rdklein Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2009
    sw developer, tv producer, hw developer (microcodi
    Munich
    indeed it seems no longer to work.
    I set the date to the todays date (same as on app email) as 13. oct,
    the App Store show release of 12 oct (which is ok) but on the photographic section its not listed (a first was there on 13 th oct and 12 the does not show AClapboard so far).

---