'Wizard Ops Tactics' Needs You! [Async, Multiplayer, Turn Based Strategy Game]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Justin@PhykenMedia, Apr 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justin@PhykenMedia

Justin@PhykenMedia Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2011
    Project Manager
    #1 Justin@PhykenMedia, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2013
    Beta is finished because the game is now live in the App Store! Thanks to all of those who participated and provided feedback!

Visit the Launch Thread to further discuss the game

Here's a quick Overview of the Game:
    • The game is a Turn based, Strategy game (similar to Final Fantasy Tactics and Disgaea)
    • It is Asynchronous Multiplayer (similar to Words with Friends)
    • It does not have a Single Player campaign
    • It is a Free 2 Play game and does have IAP

Reveal Trailer:

Gameplay Trailer:

Attached Files:

2. AceWizard

AceWizard Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2011
    Studying to become an Electrician
    Sweden
    #2 AceWizard, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
    You had me at Wizards, gonna try right away, looks awesome, and i love me some turnbased gamed.

EDIT: First impressions, love the fact its asynchronous multiplayer, and that i can have more then one game running at a time. Second, was really excited to see you could combo the moves together in one turn, for a more "cinematic" feel. Also the graphic style and humour (Crab Crossfire, really? :D) makes this game a winner already to me.

3. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    I can't install Unity on my work laptop so cannot beta test unfortunately. However can I just request that you implement a variable timer for the asynchronous. It seems to be an omission from every async game that comes out for some reason and leads to so many unfiinished games where people just give up if they're losing.

4. AceWizard

Oct 9, 2011
    Sweden
    Yeah would be nice to either be able to pick a set time, 1 day, 3 days, a week.

Ive played some games that have that option and its nice, if you know you want a quick play then just have 1 day or a few hours for turns, and then if you play with a friend or know you can play it for months then have a week or something as a choice for the time per turn.

5. Justin@PhykenMedia

Aug 31, 2011
    Project Manager
    Glad to hear that you like the game so far!

The variable timer is a great idea! For our random matching the first thing we take into account for pairing up players is how often they play but a timer would definitely help to ensure games get finished (or at least they'll expire quicker so the player who wanted to keep playing gets their Gold and EXP).

Do you have any games that you know of that have implemented such a timer. I would love to check them out and see how they implemented it.

I'm not sure I fully understand what you all are saying (without seeing an example of it) so here are my thoughts on it, and you let me know if I'm going in the right direction.

So looking at this I think a variable timer could work in this way. During match creation you would select the time length each player has to submit their turn (1 day, 3 days, 7 days, etc). Your opponent would be given notice of the timer [Let's say in this example you pick 1 day] when they accept your challenge. So each time it is your turn in that battle you would have 24 hours to respond or the battle expires and your opponent is declared the winner. We could also have the game notify you when your battle is a few hours out from expiring (that should also help ensure players play out a whole battle rather than forgetting about it and the battle expires on them).

6. AceWizard

Oct 9, 2011
    Sweden
    Thats exactly how i mean it. Good to know you're already thinking about it.

7. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Pretty much exactly this. You create your game choosing the length for each turn, people then search for games and get a list of available games and how long the timer is set for each turn for that particular game, you want quick, set it to/pick 30 mins, you want leisurely, set/pick a week, or anything in between. The end turn starts the clock for the opponent (push notifications pretty much essential) and they can see it on their screen counting down, if you don't move by the time the clock runs out then you forfeit and lose.

I believe two that implemented it (one at least following requests from TA members) are Ascension and Summoner Wars.

8. Justin@PhykenMedia

Aug 31, 2011
    Project Manager
    Cool! Thanks to both of you! I checked out Summoner Wars to see how they implemented it and it's definitely a cool feature. We'll be discussing this in the office to see what changes we would need to make to the game to implement that feature fully.

Please keep the feedback coming! We want to make this the best game that it can be and the only way to do that is to listen to the players!

9. wuzmaname

wuzmaname Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    What if 2 players started a game and 1 of them deleted it? Would that automatically count as automatic win?

10. Justin@PhykenMedia

Aug 31, 2011
    Project Manager
    I think the best way to handle this is to only award a win to a player if their opponent has accepted the battle and taken a turn. That way you couldn't spam a bunch of users with battles that have 24 hour time limits, knowing that some of them wouldn't respond in 24 hours, and within a day you have a bunch of wins.

Of course there may still be better ways to handle this but that's the first thought that came to mind.

11. AceWizard

Oct 9, 2011
    Sweden
    Sounds like a good way to prevent "Afk" farming.

12. Justin@PhykenMedia

Aug 31, 2011
    Project Manager
    Just wanted to let everyone know that we have put a new build up!

Here is a quick overview of some of the changes that have been made:
    • All Enchoicements should be working correctly now. We noticed some of them weren't giving you the bonuses they said they were
    • Animation tweaks. In the older version the Trooper was spazzing and looked he had drank too much coffee. He's calmed down now!
    • Particle Tweaks. Hopefully everything looks even better than it did before!
    • Bug Fixes overall

We definitely like the idea of the variable timer and we're just trying to figure out if we're going to implement it for the game's initial launch or include it in the game's first update. It mostly comes down to how much time do we have left and how do we allocate that time. Any time we spend implementing that feature is less time we have for bug fixing but on the other hand the variable timer will help ensure people can play at the pace they want to.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? If we didn't have the variable timer in the initial launch would it dissuade you from playing the game?

13. Justin@PhykenMedia

Aug 31, 2011
    Project Manager
    #13 Justin@PhykenMedia, May 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2013
    We just wanted to thank everyone who participated in the Beta! The game officially launched today and Update 1 has already been submitted to Apple and is awaiting approval!

All of the major features for Update 1 were created from the feedback we received from everyone here! This is the list of things you can expect in Update 1:
    • Variable Match Lengths: When you create a Battle you can set it to expire in 7 Days, 3 Days, or 1 Day
    • Tutorial Tweaks: Changes to the flow of the Tutorial should make it easier to learn the basics and jump right into the game
    • Fast Forward Button: During your Unit's executions you can speed up the animations to make the battle go quicker!

Visit the Launch Thread to further discuss the game