Universal Phoenix 2 (by Firi Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Haha that took me a while to notice as well :)

2. Selachii

Selachii Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    And why did you notice it now?
    (serious feedback mode!)

3. zohaali146

zohaali146 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2017
    Wow the screenshots seems extraordinary, will try it and recommend it to my father too. He loves playing space shooter games :)

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    The very faint on and off glow. It wasnt too noticeable, i thought it was just part of the UI design to highlight your player level, and not a hotspot for getting level up rewards. I think you need to put a more noticeable plus sign or something.

5. ovalprocess

ovalprocess Well-Known Member

May 13, 2010
    Southern California
    This happened to me, too. I noticed it because now it slowly flashes.

6. ovalprocess

ovalprocess Well-Known Member

May 13, 2010
    Southern California
    Aurora Bullet EMP vs Yigothu Reflex EMP

The Bullet EMP on Aurora clears most of the bullets on the screen instantaneously.

I've been trying to use Yigothu, fully maxed. The Reflex EMP takes a while to charge to clear the bullets, and it clears a smaller area than the instantaneous Aurora Bullet EMP. Also, the Yigothu's offensive bullets stop firing while the Reflex EMP charges. The Relex EMP charges at varying speeds, making it difficult to rely on.

Using Yigothu's Chrono Field in conjunction with the Reflex EMP is a lot to keep in mind while playing, compared to the simplicity of Aurora's Bullet EMP. I guess the tradeoff is that the player doesn't have to aim Yigothu's offensive bullets. But Aurora still dominates, even with having to aim shots.

I haven't seen Yigothu on the leaderboards anywhere. Yigothu is a beautifully designed ship, and the ship's colorful bullet graphics are awesome.

Seems much easier to use Aurora compared with trying to play with Yigothu.

7. Phrog

Phrog Member

Feb 23, 2017
    sad person
    I agree that the Reflex EMP is just "a worse bullet EMP." Bullet EMP outclasses Reflex EMP in almost, if not all, ways. Reflex EMP does not "recharge" fast enough for the later stages, while you can freely spam Bullet EMP granted you can graze bullets fast enough (I sometimes do this in a panic to stay alive and break out gaps that I can slither through). Like you said, Bullet EMP is larger instant and has no offensive penalty.

I hope Reflex EMP gets a buff in some way (or Bullet EMP gets a nerf?) so the two have more distinct advantages and or disadvantages.

Also, I am saving up for the yigothu right now too, hehe

8. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    The glow used to be very subtle and now it is more of a blink. However, you did not miss this "from the beginning", the button was added in 2.0 I believe. Before there was a dedicated button in the 'Pilot' tab.

With regards to Bullet EMP vs Reflex EMP, the Bullet EMP is more effective as it is an Aura ability. It costs energy to use, while the Reflex EMP is basically free and always available. There is a diminishing return on it so it can only be used every other encounter unless you have the time to charge it a couple of times in a row. (It is also quite nice to clear bullets between Acts)

9. Phrog

Phrog Member

Feb 23, 2017
    sad person
    Hmm, never thought of using it to clear bullets between waves...
    But anyways, the thing with bullet EMP is the recharge time. I run the Saber, and after using the EMP, I'm left to face a massive wave of bullets which is basically impossible to dodge (SSSS League). I've now retired the saber to my "just for fun" ships, as I don't think it can function in such high leagues. With other ships that have auras to assist the Reflex EMP, like maybe the Yigothu, the cooldown time probably isn't much of a problem.

Also, out of curiosity and based on what you said (Auras are more effective zen modes) is Personal Shield a secondary Barrier?

10. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Hmm no, because a Personal Shield also clears bullets within the shield, while the Barrier can be a snow-globe filled with bullets :p

11. Den Den

Den Den Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2014
    @Selachii,

Is there a plan to implement replays? I'd love to be able to click on a name/score on the leaderboards and watch that player/game's replay...

12. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    #792 Selachii, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    @Den Den

We would absolutely love to do that! In fact we are big supporters of similar features like the 'always recording' option that the current console generation enjoys. To be able to say "wow that was a great moment, I am going to save that" instead of having to actively start recording before you start playing 'just in case something epic happens'.

Apple's ReplayKit is currently fairly limited in this regard (but a step in the right direction). We are always experimenting with the latest ReplayKit functionality and we are actively requesting these kind of new features from Apple. Tijmen, the other guy from Firi Games - who made the game engine and everything-, used a very nice word to describe the current state of ReplayKit, 'fragile'. It is exactly the reason why we had to disable recording on devices older than the iPhone 7.

So yes, we would definitely like to expand the leaderboard inspector with a kind of 'replay' system. If there are any developments with regards to these kinds of features I will be sure to post them here. Thanks for the suggestion!

13. UncleDecade

UncleDecade New Member

Feb 17, 2017
    Could you please tell us something about the next version? I just can't wait to know that. Now I only know the new type of bullets on your ins.

14. Phrog

Phrog Member

Feb 23, 2017
    sad person
    The perfect holiday gift for friends and family: Bullet Globe!

On their Instagram page, there are video clips of bombs that spray out lasers and fast bullets, so we might see that in-game sometime soon. Now that we're on the topic of their instagram page, has anyone noticed that the boomerang turrets were leaked before they came out? (Look at the picture about the new enemy cockpit designs)

Also, some news: A GOD AMONG MEN HAS FINISHED AN SSSS LEAGUE MISSION WITH THE SABER TODAY.
    [​IMG]
    Lots of lasers in today's mission, if you were wondering.

15. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Actually, we showed the boomerang turrets, including their animations, during development almost a year ago. I would link the Vine, but that site stopped in the meantime :) That said, we wanted to tune their gameplay before making them available to the enemies.

We have a cool new update planned with several additions and fixes as you guys have come to expect. Among other things it will include 5 new ships _again_! I will probably show one on our Instagram page at some point. Speaking of which, what you guys have been seeing there are several tests and attempts to unify the weapon sets that the enemies use. Specific enemy types will only have access to certain weapons. This includes trying mirvs of each projectile type. Some of these might make it into the game, some not. For example, the laser mirvs are a ton of fun, the boomerang mirvs not so much.

16. Lockyn

Lockyn Member

Mar 18, 2017
    I feel like updates need to be more focused on play features rather than ships. But I'm also fine with ships.

17. ThousandSon

ThousandSon Member

Feb 21, 2017
    I feel more ship the better.

18. UncleDecade

UncleDecade New Member

Feb 17, 2017
    When will the new version be released? I'm looking forward to it,

19. Lockyn

Lockyn Member

Mar 18, 2017
    The new version has been confirmed on the end of March. Maybe some time around the end.

20. Emuser

Emuser Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2016
    #800 Emuser, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    It's been forever since I posted...

I will be honest, I was initially disappointed with the 2.0 update originally when Mega Laser became laughably overpowered and how good ships were was basically like this:

"Do you have Mega Laser?"
    Yes: Already better than any ship that doesn't have Mega Laser
    No: RIP YOU

I have played a little bit steadily since the updates dropped, but finally sitting down to see how the ships have changed over time has been a nice little change. For example, Tillat'or which I would have never imagined using ever before has actually become somewhat useful for survival because of buffs to rapid fire weapons that happened in the past. I did another "New Ships 2 Tier List" over time for fun, but since I see another update is coming at the end of March, I figured I would share as a "take with a grain of salt" list due to possible changes that may occur. This is based solely on ease of use + versatility overall, as things have shifted from clear times being the only real goal in Phoenix 2 to reaching higher leagues as a more attainable goal imo. A few adjustments to what I perceive as outclassed or weaker would be nice to spice things up, but I personally don't think that anything NEEDS changes like previously in 1.0 or early 2.0.

Each individual tier provided is in a perceived order from top(better) to bottom(worse).

S Tier – Dominant, ease of use overall
    Aurora Best mix of offense and defense
    EX04239 The dominant offense oriented ship
    Razor VI Best balance of burst damage and barrier defense
    Cinnri Powerful and easy to use
    Photurius Insanely powerful spread shot, good lockdown

A Tier – Good, under dominant
    Saber High damage, piercing, free bullet clear periodically
    Juggernaut Good burst damage, balance of abilites
    Heechi Incredibly strong for ease of use, tanky
    Trireme Good utility overall, ease of use
    Veil Nearly as good as Juggernaut due to same abilities
    Prime X Good utility, can be better than Trireme at times
    Hime Ghetto Cinnri
    Geist Good burst, balanced kit
    Wrackr Good weapon and kit
    Atlas Buff to main weapon makes it pretty nice again, a little weaker than Geist overall
    Krillou Not bad but falls behind the more dominant ships
    Fujin Good offense based kit, but not the best if going full offense
    Tempest Good balanced kit, a little weaker than Juggernaut and Veil more often than not
    502-Q8 Cheesy mega laser strats

B Tier – Average Overall
    Barret limited firepower against multiple enemies, but deals with biggest ships fairly well and two defensive abilities
    Proxymar Nerfed, weak main weapon when no particles are collected.
    Buhloo Nerfed, still decent but losing in power creep.
    Von Braun Troublesome, but can be good with cluster of medium enemies
    Dragonfly Not too shabby after weapon buffs, similar to Tillat'or but no defenses
    Havoc A little worse than Fujin due to less reliable main weapon
    Tillator Much better after massive buffs, decent weapon and good defensive kit
    Valkyrie Cheesey mega bomb strats not as strong as 502-Q8 mega laser strats
    Torrent Decent strength, two defensive abilities
    Lokie Well rounded laser storm kit
    Arietis Average after point defense and main weapon buff but mega laser nerf
    Xaniea Weaker after laser storm nerfs
    Yoth-Hola Not too strong or weak
    Mist Star Easy to use, limited strength
    Vani-Vith Balanced, nothing outstanding
    Baqlor A bit lacking other than having a decent weapon
    Jn'dur Good against waves without too many big enemies
    Kada Veni Slightly worse than Jn'dur now
    Hunter balanced ship with teleport, a bit lacking

C Tier – Lacking in strengths, but not as bad as D
    Gorthaur Better after buffs, still worse than other ships
    Essin Outclassed by Lokie
    Elyon Worse than other laser storm users
    Ogon Worse than other laser storm users
    Vuxine Slightly better than Tar'cah, Zephyr
    Tar'cah Nearly identical to Zephyr
    Zephyr Nearly identical to Tar'cah
    Phoenix Not powerful
    Shinova Sporadic shot, Bullet EMP spam is ok
    Yigothu Slow and weak main weapon (this ship is S+ tier in art design and presentation though)
    Gladius Weak, better vorpal lance users
    Proteus shot, while powerful, is troubling to handle

D Tier – Outclassed, lacking in any advantage
    Sakura Outclassed by Tillator(ty based rapid fire buffs)
    NC-150 Outclassed by Torrent
    Czar Bad single target shot, delay between shots
    Jericho Outclassed by Phoenix
    Oran Outclassed by Mist Star