Regarding Promo Codes

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by HelperMonkey, Feb 7, 2010.

1. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    I don't know how many developers here distribute promo codes to market their games. But for those who do, and who do so using the TA forums, I have a novel (or not) idea.
    Usually when developers/distributors post promo codes they do so in a basic list of the codes. And when a gamer takes and uses a promo code, the polite action is to announce and display the code that was taken. Thus other gamers will know that they don't need to bother trying that code, etc. You know how it works.
    Anyway, my idea is just stupid and simple.. But why not assign a number to each promo code in the list. That way, there would be no need for a gamer to browse through the thread to see if "ABC34QRS567" is taken, or announce that they have used "sdf456qwe789." Instead you could just see posted, or post for yourself, that "I took #12."
    Make sense?

2. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    That's all fine and good, but developers really shouldn't distribute codes blindly at all. I could go into reasons why, but it is a really bad practice that needs to be abolished.

3. SunriseMoon

SunriseMoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Got ABC34QRS567! Thanks!

4. HelperMonkey

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    I agree with you if considering it from a developers viewpoint. Many of the randomly supplied codes go to lurkers, who by their nature are non-participatory. And being non-participatory means they won't be writing you a review, dicussing your game, contributing ideas, etc.
    Meanwhile, there are the "conscientious" types who deliver an automatic five stars just because they got the game for free.
    Nonetheless, I generally support free choice and would hesitate to "abolish" a practice that some developers choose to engage in.
    So. Anyway... While they're doing it they might as well number their code lists.

5. MexicanJesus

MexicanJesus Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    I don't think it would matter. Usually all codes are taken by lurkers and they don't reply with anything. I have never got a promo from a thread only PM. It would be nice if it was something like "first 5 to reply get a code via pm" or something. A lot of the time the first or second reply is "FYI there are none left"

6. HelperMonkey

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    By the way,
    I hope that gets you something good.

7. Rocotilos

Rocotilos Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    iOS Apps & Games Developer
    I want to stop giving out promocodes alltogether.
    Most of reviews I got from promocodes giveouts are damaging reviews.

8. Appy_Entertainment

Appy_Entertainment Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Brand Director
    Carlsbad, CA
    We've had excellent results giving away promo codes, and I wish Apple would afford us more than fifty codes per game revision. I am perpetually short of codes. We're also going to be in a bind when we ship Tune Runner later this month. It's a free app with a premium version unlockable through in-app purchase, but promo codes only allow download of the base game, and can't be used to unlock the in-app upgrade.

9. MexicanJesus

MexicanJesus Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Some game had this dilema and made a way to download the inapp purchase via dev created "promo codes" I can't remember what game, but I read about it on here.

10. Appy_Entertainment

Jan 28, 2009
    Brand Director
    Carlsbad, CA
    That's good news, thanks. I'll have to hunt up that thread.

11. thothling

thothling Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    It became dangerous to distribute code blindly
    I knew a developer who sent a lot of codes, one person take 5 code, left 5 bad review, and blackmail the developer saying if you paid me I will give you good review..
    What a world

12. Appy_Entertainment

Jan 28, 2009
    Brand Director
    Carlsbad, CA
    I don't give them away blindly, but promo codes make excellent fodder for online press sites, who then use the codes for contests and Twitter give-aways. It's an effective way to get other people talking about your game for you.

13. Mr Jack

Mr Jack Well-Known Member

Could you give a little more detail, Appy? What's your advice for those of us new to having to promote our own games?

14. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    Sites like http://thecurrentgamer.com consistently have contests to give away promo codes. This isn't considered 'blind', because the contests usually require some effort and the winner is contacted directly. I think enhuski gives away codes too, at http://www.appsized.com

Basically, it is a really bad idea to post a list of codes and then leave it. Make people work for it and get something out of it, and don't expect it to raise your reviews.

Early on, I ran simple contests to grow my Twitter followers (I got something out of it). I also ran a contest where participants needed to list at least 3 free games- I gave away 22 codes that day and ended up with a huge list of free games to play.

15. Appy_Entertainment

Jan 28, 2009
    Brand Director
    Carlsbad, CA
    U.S.-based websites love giving away promo codes. Generally I'll follow-up with review sites that have given a favorable review of our games and offer them a few codes for give-aways. The site then promotes the giveaway via Twitter or their own site, sometimes giving the code to the "Xth" person to respond to the tweet, or to a clever comment at their site.

It creates a virtuous circle -- the site uses the codes to promote their site, usually referencing their original review in the process. Fans click the links or RT the message to enter the drawing, all of which raises your profile and gets your game's name repeated. It helps to have third parties talking about your game. Best of all, your job as dev is done the moment you hand off the codes to your press contact.

16. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Haha, this is awesome. Great insight to the human side of a dev's mind :p