Evo 2013!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by arta, Jul 12, 2013.

1. fffan7777

fffan7777 Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2011
    First hype AE match: John Choi vs Arturo Sanchez!

2. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Hm... given my recent Injustice kick, which has led to me start playing Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe, Mortal Kombat (the new one), and consider opening my Street Fighter X Tekken, I think this might be a prime time for me to watch the streams of EVO! I might enjoy it a lot more now that I'm in a Fighting kick :p

The only reason I'll really be paying attention, though, is for the character reveal of who will be the next (and apparently final?) DLC character in Injustice: Gods Among Us! :D

3. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Oooh boy, gotta love Jigglypuff's Rest :D

4. Snooper

Snooper Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2011
    Australia
    Day one was great. Highlights were PR Rog vs infiltration, Lord Knight vs Banana Ken in P4A and Haitini in general. Shame about the 3v3.

5. EddyDaKing

EddyDaKing Member

Mar 18, 2013
    I hope GamerBee wins SF4...I freakin love Adon.

6. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
  7. MasterChief3624

Oct 11, 2009
    So uh... Yeah... never mind about watching this stuff lol. I tried watching videos from last year's EVO, and even tried watching a few minutes of streaming from this one, and I have no idea what is going on. I see two people using cool combos to fight each other... I don't understand all this crazy lingo.

It's actually really annoying to me when something happens on the screen, and then the announcers and audience go super crazy! I have no idea what they're going crazy about :( The only time I was able to figure it out was that one video of the guy blocking Chun-Li's special kick move. That was neat. But I couldn't even begin to try and understand what was so special about, well... anything I saw lol.

:(

8. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    You mean this vid?

In SF3, like all street fighters, you block by holding away from the opponent. You take no damage from regular moves, but take a little damage if they use special or super moves.

There is a system called parrying in the game. You tap towards the opponent at the exact time they attack. If you miss you take the damage, and it's tough to do in a professional match against a regular move.

So in the Diago/ Justin Wong video, Daigo was dead to rights. Justin Wong decided to fake around for a bit and them surprise Daigo with a super move to catch him on the ground and kill him even if he blocked. But Daigo did the near impossible and parried the entire supermove (about 14 times) and surprised Justin with a combo of his own, which killed him. Most regular people (like me) at the time had trouble parrying 3 moves, and didn't even know you could parry a supermove. :eek:

As for other games, you'll appreciate them if you've played them for a bit. For example, I don't really watch Marvel because it's way too chaotic for me, but since I play SF and MK, I can follow those. As for the lingo, you'll catch on after a while, or you can ask someone in the SF Volt thread for help. :)

9. MasterChief3624

Oct 11, 2009
    Yeah, that video! I understand the mechanics with that one, and I definitely feel the excitement :)

But even with the games I have played a lot of ...Street Fighter IV, Marvel vs. Capcom 3, King of Fighters XIII. Maybe I should try to watch some of the Injustice videos from this Evo, because that one is probably the fighting game I've played the most!

10. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Injustice is actually coming up in a minute or two: http://www.twitch.tv/srkevo1

11. MasterChief3624

Oct 11, 2009
  12. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Okay, I remember that Spider-Man moment from last year. UMvC is full of powerful characters that bully and abuse all the others. Spider-man is not one of them, everyone at Evo knows that, yet that guy killed 3 characters with just him.

Part 4. In SF, landing Akuma's Raging Demon is easy on newbie opponents, but the better you get, it's harder for someone to catch you with it, so usually on a professional level, you're careful how you use it. You don't throw it out randomly, you wait for the right rare moment to sneak it in and catch someone with it.

Infililtration, however, was someone catching multiple skilled opponents with the move like it was childsplay. Over and over again, even in grand finals. It's like catching people with a simple crossover and 3-point shoot in the NBA. Repeatedly.

Part 2 was KOF just being so unexpectedly hype in its first appearance. People had never seen those long ass combos. Plus there was a national rivalry between the US and a bunch of mexican players.

[​IMG]

Stuff like that.

13. MasterChief3624

Oct 11, 2009
    Haha... well then. Thank you for the clarification :) I understand now! I still don't get a fangasm over that stuff though :p

So far the Injustice one has been very entertaining... maybe it helps that I have put in about 20 hours since I got it a week or two ago? :D

14. MasterChief3624

Oct 11, 2009
    #16 MasterChief3624, Jul 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
    Ugh. DJT... what the hell? I thought in these professional fighting game tournaments, people didn't stoop to such cheap and stupid lows? He kept doing the same move over and over :(

Edit: DJT is pretty damn good, actually.

Edit 2: HOLY SNAP! That ChrisG Black Adam vs. Superman fight... WHOA! :D :D :D That was insanely close! I jumped out of my chair for that one :)

Edit 3: Ugh, what a letdown. The final is DJT's Green Lantern versus ChrisG's Green Arrow? Come on now. :( How disappointing :p

So I finally figured out why no one seems to be using the < + A attack.. it's because it generally kicks the opponent too far away to continue a combo.. is that why they're not using that attack? :D

Edit 4: Ugh, that last fight was insanely boring. I thought DJT was bad with his attack patterns, but that Superman player? That was just plain cheap. :( I definitely wanted DJT to win out on that one, but I think my favorite player was ChrisG. He is so dang good with Green Arrow and Black Adam, and that Black Adam/Superman fight was just amazing!

But the winner, with Superman, he just trapped his players in a corner. I guess that means he's good? But I thought that was considered cheap as hell. Is that why everyone was booing him?

15. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Yeah that's why.

LOL at Microsoft getting booed at the KI showing.

Marvel now.

16. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Dudes! MM and John Stewart as DLC!
    Awesome.
    The game's DLC keeps getting better.

17. MasterChief3624

Oct 11, 2009
    Ah okay.

Man, now I want to break open my Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3. :D What made me stop playing, though, is that my friend is just... so good at it. It was too hard for me to have fun with it. It also seemed really difficult to pick up and play, as opposed to Injustice. There is so much more strategy in MvC, from what I've seen, because of the Tag mechanic.

Yeah! :D I only just heard about Martian Manhunter a few days ago. I was sad that it wasn't the Looney Tunes martian character, but this guy's neat, too :cool:

18. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    ... Maybe Marvin will be an alternate skin.
    They are both Warner Bro.s
    Idea for DLC: NEO.