Loving mobile gaming really surprised me, did it surprise you too?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by klink, Aug 14, 2015.

1. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I was late to the mobile scene starting with an iPhone 5 and iPad 3. I wasn't really looking for a gaming device and I didn't have high expectations. I've been pleasantly surprised how much I love mobile gaming. My perception was that mobile gaming was going to be a bunch of casual 'Angry Birds like' games. The reality is that I've been overwhelmed with the variety, creatively, and depth of mobile games. It's honestly renewed my interest in gaming. What's been your experience?

2. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    #2 Kenan2000, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
    Well because I was busy with school,I ditched pc and started playing on mobile,hoping to find at least SOME fun games,not even dreaming about awesome titles being released in the near future on ios.

Well my dad bought a bunch of games on my iPhone: puzzles,action,rpg,etc and to my surprise,there was this weird game with a skull icon called "The Quest" and this game made me fall in love with mobile gaming,I was sure that there will be more awesome games just like The Quest and I was right - Backstab,Nova 1/2,Modern combat 2,Starwar collision (forgot the name,not sure if it's right) , Spiderman games and of course Order & Chaos online (I will never forget good old days of oac,RIP oac,pay2win has destroyed you) - all from Gameloft , many awesome games from Mika mobile like OMG pirates,zombieville,games from Triniti interactive (i still remember that bundle from Triniti with like 20-30 of their games),Chillingo ltd games,Madfinger games (shadowgun) and to my surprise - Gta Chinatown Wars from Rockstar and Galaxy on Fire 2 from Fishlabs (i still remember how hype I was because of the Valkyrie dlc in April of 2011,oh and I did not even know that Supernova was under development in 2012) , Aralon sword and shadow from Crescent Moon and Bug Heroes from Foursaken media, these were my most favorite games.

The mobile gaming is just getting better and better for me,despite having so many awful free2play games in the appstore,cause I am happy and will always be happy with "leftover ports" on ios such as Terraria,Mhfu,Bioshock,KOTOR,TWOM and awesome games from dedicated indie developers such as Battlestation:Harbinger,Mission Europa 1 and Mission Europa 2 (ME 2 is under development) , Barren roads (under development) , Radiation Island,Drylands,Hardboiled,etc.

Long live Redshift,long live The Quest (it's good to know that they're kinda doing better now because they updated their game,plus I'm sure that The Quest 2 will be even more popular and awesome),long live ports,long live awesome indie games and long live mobile gaming.

3. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    #3 ackmondual, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
    I got into it in 2010. I was in a honeymoon period where I purchased about $126 of games that year alone, although that doesn't count alot of freeware games, or games that were on sale for free. From then on, my purchases would decrease, and drop off sharply a few years later. I have a huge backlog of iOS games, but also those for Android, Wii, and Steam/PC that I did have to adapt the mentality of something has to be deeply discounted for me to buy it.

Working through some of those games as best I could, although realistically, i'm shooting for 50%. Some games are "meh", but others really are nice and unique. Driven by innovation, as Yahtzee would put it!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVwzmHx-Q9c

Mobile gaming is still a strong industry, but it is quite saturated enough that changes will be made. Be on the lookout for those! I guess more free to play, or resurgence of premium pricing at $10 (3x of what they currently are is minimum what's needed, but I doubt it). If Apple introduces new hardware features, those will get made use of in time as new phones and tablets get those features too and devs are more up to date on those techs.

4. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Nothing beats playing awesome games on bed before sleeping or on the go. Always loved portable devices, so it was a no-brainer that mobile games would entertain me a lot.

Long life iOS. The only thing that really bothers me is OS updates breaking older games.

5. Wrath

Wrath Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    Seattle
    I was always a casual gamer before I got into iOS gaming (which I suppose is still technically 'casual gaming' to most people, but if I were brave enough to ever check out how much money and time I've now spent on mobile games I think that opinion might change). I love the convenience of playing a game on the iPad and then being able to continue where I left on whenever I'm out and about on my phone. The graphics are great, framerate is smooth, variety of genres is insane - and now with game controller support - it's been a nice transformation for mobile gaming. If Apple opens up the Apple TV to gaming, I couldn't be happier having invested in so many games. :)

Only downside so far is too many unplayed or unfinished games that I don't have room to keep on my device and always have to delete stuff to install updates, etc. Ugh. (#first world problems.)

6. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    I just switched after playing consoles since I was 6 playing NES when it came out . I've bought or received every console since. Now that I'm grown and have kids and don't have time to sit and play a game I found mobile gaming and realized it is perfect for me. My lifestyle is always work or family but when I have ten minutes or an hour I can take my phone out and give my favorite games some time and instantly just power off and put in my pocket

7. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    I also thought that mobile games were basically just mini games and time wasters and then my wife got an iPhone 3GS. One day I was browsing the App Store on her phone and found Final Fantasy. I think I had an iPhone within a month and the rest as they say is history.

8. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Not surprised at all! Been game-crazy since the beginning of time--that is, since 1974 when I got Pong for the first time! Been a console gamer ever since, and then went for all the hand-helds later so mobile gaming was a natural progression for me! At the moment, I only own an IPad, an Android phone, and a Vita for my gaming needs. Had a PS4 and two Xbox Ones already, and they're gone! Not sure if I'll really have any interest in any future consoles, but I learned a long time ago not to say never again! Heavily involved in IOS and Android gaming these days and that's all I need. ;)

9. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Well said! :)

10. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I've been playing the Sorcey! Trilogy right before bed and it's perfect.

That's pretty much my situation. The days of being able to sit down and play a game for hours on end are far behind me.

11. Warriv

Warriv Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 21, 2015
    Portugal
    Hey there! I had pretty much the same experience, arriving late to the party and all. I was quite surprised at what mobile was capable of, but what really surprised me was this:

That's what's I wasn't expecting. I have bought and played more games in the last year than the whole decade before it. And have had more fun too. Thanks to toucharcade for that, really.

12. Psst! List the games that changed your perception. ;)

13. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Of course. Here's a list of the games that originally change my perception.

World of goo
    Infinity Blade 2
    Ticket to Ride
    Osmosis
    Ski Safari
    Waking Mars

14. ashxxxx

ashxxxx Member

Nov 3, 2012
    me too, i play pc games from 1994 and now i've more fun when i play mobile games on my ios device, its more original and fast

15. SpaceMammoth

SpaceMammoth Active Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Cambridge, UK
    I think it surprised the whole industry. It seems obvious now we love playing games on our phones and tablets - its amazing to be able to touch the screen and properly interact, and always have the games there when we want to play. But before the iPhone and app store, I don't think anyone really expected mobile game sales to come close to those of other platforms. I think everyone has walked he same path, thinking that mobile games are just tetris or snake to understanding the scale.