App Store Revenue Ranks by Country

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by fiveohthree, Sep 26, 2011.

1. fiveohthree

fiveohthree Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Does anyone have this kind of information? I'm mainly trying to figure out which are the top 10 markets by country for iOS apps. Google is failing me at the moment (or maybe I fail at google, take your pick).

I know the top two are the U.S. and then U.K. but what about after that?

Thanks in advance!

2. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

After that it depends on the game, available translations, and marketing. France and Japan have good revenue, but you have to cater to them!

3. mommagamehouse

mommagamehouse Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    CEO
    india
    China is 3rd. I am not sure but i have read somewhere

4. Manta Research

Manta Research Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    I haven't seen significant sales come out of China, but hopefully this will change.

US, UK, Australia, Canada, Germany, Japan are typically the top 5 (in that order) but as someone pointed out it really depends on the app itself (ie if it targets a specific niche market), how user-friendly it is to non-english speakers, localization, etc.

5. DomAjean

DomAjean Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    France is a big one too.

6. These are the ranks from my 3 most recent apps.

[​IMG]

7. Moonjump

Moonjump Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    China ranks high for the free version of my game, but not the paid full version.

8. fiveohthree

fiveohthree Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    I've been seeing the same results too. Using Distimo I noticed that China was #2 in the total downloads of our apps, while in terms of paid downloads they are lagging behind. I attribute it to the culture...I don't think the Chinese like to pay for software as they consider it something you can just grab off the internet.

For comparison, I live in Taiwan and the culture here is quite similar to China's. About 100 downloads a day will easily net you a top 20 spot in overall apps.

9. Kyena

Kyena Active Member

The question we should discuss is which country prefers which type of game or app. Each country has their own characteristic on what they go for and how the behave. Art/Graphic styles are very important when it comes to comparing eastern to european markets, same goes for UI Design and/or how you present your app overview.

Rules and regulations come into play as well (take Germany with the harsh rules on violency in games for example, which are in extreme contrast to some of the asian games).

Essentially, it's more important to decide which countries you want to develop for and know the tendencies that lead to a specific target audience to like your product.

10. Emeric

Emeric Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2010
  11. Actually if you make your app free then google it, you will see that it hits a ton of different Chinese app websites that crawl for price drops.

12. voodooetc

voodooetc Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Of course United States is the best country you should aim ;)

13. pezhu

pezhu New Member

Jan 6, 2012
    Where do you find these statistics?

Hey guys,

do you know any website that actually lists the revenue or the size of each app stores by country?

thanks,
    p

14. smash.rs

smash.rs Member

Apr 21, 2011
  15. IntrinsicGames

IntrinsicGames Well-Known Member

^Thanks for posting the chart, seems to be in line up with what we've been hearing

Interestingly enough, China edged out United States for most downloads over the holidays - 27% of downloads for the time period versus 26%, despite it being in English only (and we're based in Los Angeles). United States was way more profitable though, accounting for 53% of the revenue.

16. Arty Tales

Arty Tales Active Member

Dec 22, 2011
    EU
    Anyone know what the best ad network to use for an app specifically targeting Chinese and Russian users?

I would appreciate any comments or experience with this.