Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamalovesyou View Post
Until devs learn how to code/port games this is a no buy,imo.
You are of course welcome to your opinion, and I am sorry you have had issues with the game, but this last quote raises my hackles.

I am one of the developers of this game, and I can tell you, myself and the huge team I worked with are highly experienced in both making and porting games. Not only that, but here in Japan we work our little arses off, with very little concept of free time. This was not a rushed port from a small lazy team, this was a HUGE job, several years with a very large skilled team, working late and at weekends to hit deadlines.

The thing you must understand is that porting a very old game is so much harder than creating from scratch. All assets had to be converted from obsolete file formats (lacking the original code, tools and documentation), and had to be made to fit the extreme constraints of the apple and google stores. The enormous amount of spaghetti code had to be converted to a different language, again with limited documentation. The game has to function and be optimised for the myriad devices and wide range of screen sizes, memory sizes, cpu and gpu powers. The controls HAVE to be different because this is not a sit at home with a brick-like console and a bulky joypad in your hands, this is slip into your pocket and play one-handed on the train.

I am sure there are various issues, for certain people who expected a more faithful experience, or have obscure or older devices, or are frustrated by mobile controls.

But the fact is, SE wanted to repurpose a much beloved game and introduce it to a new generation. Obviously sacrifices had to be made in certain areas, and such a huge job was always going to have few bugs, which are being diligently eradicated as we speak.

And as for price, that's not my business, but this cost shit loads to make and it is a huge, no F**KING HUGE game. You get way more than your money's worth. To say "don't buy" because a bit of lag in crowded towns. Pah!

I am obviously biased, but I think we did a fantastic job, considering.

Last edited by HellaciousPuppy; Yesterday at 07:41 PM..
Old Yesterday, 08:52 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellaciousPuppy View Post
You are of course welcome to your opinion, and I am sorry you have had issues with the game, but this last quote raises my hackles.

I am one of the developers of this game, and I can tell you, myself and the huge team I worked with are highly experienced in both making and porting games. Not only that, but here in Japan we work our little arses off, with very little concept of free time. This was not a rushed port from a small lazy team, this was a HUGE job, several years with a very large skilled team, working late and at weekends to hit deadlines.

The thing you must understand is that porting a very old game is so much harder than creating from scratch. All assets had to be converted from obsolete file formats (lacking the original code, tools and documentation), and had to be made to fit the extreme constraints of the apple and google stores. The enormous amount of spaghetti code had to be converted to a different language, again with limited documentation. The game has to function and be optimised for the myriad devices and wide range of screen sizes, memory sizes, cpu and gpu powers. The controls HAVE to be different because this is not a sit at home with a brick-like console and a bulky joypad in your hands, this is slip into your pocket and play one-handed on the train.

I am sure there are various issues, for certain people who expected a more faithful experience, or have obscure or older devices, or are frustrated by mobile controls.

But the fact is, SE wanted to repurpose a much beloved game and introduce it to a new generation. Obviously sacrifices had to be made in certain areas, and such a huge job was always going to have few bugs, which are being diligently eradicated as we speak.

And as for price, that's not my business, but this cost shit loads to make and it is a huge, no F**KING HUGE game. You get way more than your money's worth. To say "don't buy" because a bit of lag in crowded towns. Pah!

Wow. Thanks for sharing and for all of your guys' hard work! You all have introduced me to this game that I probably wouldn't have played otherwise. And it's quickly become my favorite game thanks to not only the amazing game itself, but the brilliant mobile controls and menus. Please pass on my gratitude to those involved around you.

And keep up the great work!
Old Today, 01:56 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:

Last time I considered buying DQ8 for my iPhone, I decided to wait, maybe for a better price. But if you sir are who you say you are and if your statement is true, I have been suddenly much more interested in the game, maybe buying it this weekend.
Old Today, 02:56 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:

Love the post. Got more than one person emaducated im sure.

At least now more people know that taking a building down and remodeling is a lot more difficult that making a new one on a vacant lot.
Old Today, 03:02 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Hiatus x Hiatus