gift apps

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by baobaoaz, Aug 8, 2010.

1. baobaoaz

baobaoaz Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    so i want to gift this app and i got a gift card with 15$ but when i try to gift it it says my credit card is declined.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. songbird

songbird Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    You need a credit card to gift apps. You can't gift apps from giftcard credit. :( Apple's rules.

3. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Are you serious songbird? :(

4. songbird

Dec 4, 2009
    #4 songbird, Aug 8, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
    LOL! Your post said something different a minute ago :p

Yes, sadly Apple decided that giftcards are too annonymous for gifting apps. I think they did this so big companies couldn't get their app into the top grossing/best selling by gifting their own app.

5. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Not sure why, but I tried to send my brother a gift certificate through e-mail using my iTunes account (which has a credit card tied to it) a few weeks ago and it kept declining my card. I was able to buy apps myself though (bought Squareball at that time just to check) and I ended up just sending him an iTunes card through the mail from the Apple website, which also worked fine. Dunno what was up with that.

6. songbird

Dec 4, 2009
    The gifting app function isn't always perfectly functional, iTunes has been having a bunch of issues with it. However it is a fact that you can't gift apps with giftcards.

7. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Yeah, I wasn't trying to gift a specific app to him, just wanted to e-mail him a gift certificate. Anyway, maybe that is just janky at times too for whatever reason.

8. songbird

Dec 4, 2009
    Yup, contact apple - loads of people have issues with gifting giftcards.

9. Gifting an App doesn't go into the grossing/best selling statistics.

http://majicjungle.com/blog/?p=246

10. songbird

Dec 4, 2009
    Interesting, thank you for pointing that out. Ok, then I don't know why. I just know Apple made it impossible to gift apps without a credit card.

11. funkynubman

funkynubman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    News Reporter/ Superhero
    Right. Behind. You.
    High-five. Oddy Smog is awesome.

12. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Problem is I can't get it gifted to me now. So I can't experience its awesomeness.

13. jwcasser

jwcasser Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Does anyone know if apps can be regifted to another email address? I won an iPad app but don't have an iPad and want to give it to my friend. Is the gifting tied to my account?