Agricola (by Playdek) [Universal]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by pbb76, May 23, 2013.

1. pbb76

pbb76 Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Bit of a shame not to see this released last night considering its been in review for over a week.

Cant wait for it though! Must say, the screen shots released look amazing and have captured the feel spot on.

Any other fans of this brilliant farming boardgame?

2. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    I too am checking daily for this game. I must admit, I've never played the physical board game even though I'm an avid board gamer. I'll buy anything from Playdek as their polish is unmatched, except maybe by BDG. This game looks right up my alley, I just hope Playdek doesn't hold on to it for too long after it's approved. Over on pocket tactics, they (Playdek) are saying the release is "imminent".

3. pbb76

pbb76 Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Yea, hopefully they put it out before the usual Wednesday schedule - if not, its pretty much nailed on for next week - alongside Warhammer Quest, will be quite the board game geeks week!

The physical game of Agricola is excellent - I love how you can play a solo game too, which is fun.

4. cpugeek13

cpugeek13 Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Agricola is one of my favorite games, but because of its fiddliness, doesn't get nearly as much playtime in our group as it should. This is going to be an instabuy for me as soon as it hits. I don't think I've ever been so excited for an app release as I am for this!

5. pbb76

pbb76 Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Yea me neither! Though I finally got around to putting my Agricola pieces into a hobby box that makes it more accessible.

6. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I've never played the real game but it looks like it extends my favorite bits of Le Havre by having all sorts of roles and improvements to make each play through very unique.

7. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Definitely looking forward to this. I can't remember if Playdek has waited until Wednesday for their other releases...I'm hoping they make it live as soon as it's approved.

8. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    I've also be constantly refreshing to wait for the game. Haven't been this excited for a release in years.

9. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
  10. dhgamer

dhgamer Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    New York
    ^This.... especially since typing "Agricola" in iTunes has shown it in the drop down list since yesterday.

11. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Shame: It is a real shame that this has been talking about it since last year and I have applied for the beta testing (but failed), and not until yesterday there is a thread here.

Elaboration: IIRC, Playdek some time does not follow the lets-go-out-on-Wednesday-night-together rule. See Ascension. :D

12. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    I have a funny feeling this may appear really soon..Because playdek games are on sale...:D crossing my fingers...

13. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Dibs on a Saturday release. I think their releases have been fairly random.

14. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    #14 CoreyB, May 24, 2013
    Last edited: May 24, 2013
    It has to be approved by Apple already. Warhammer: Quest was submitted shortly after Agricola and its been approved and scheduled for release this Wednesday. IMO, Playdek just needs to throw the switch and this game is released. I think they are just in marketing mode now trying to get everything in order so they have a successful launch.

15. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    What's the point of releasing your game on a Wednesday with all the garbage that floods the market that day? (Not saying all games released on Wednesday are garbage btw). I never understood that. Release your game say the day before, Tuesday, so people can use up their iTunes cards before the mass of garbage on weds..

Anyway....c'mon playdek..do it.

16. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    #16 oooooomonkey, May 24, 2013
    Games are released on a Wednesday night / Thursday morning because that's when the store updates and you have a chance of being featured by apple.

I think the playdek games probably get enough people playing them without being featured anyway though. But being features can always help sell more.

17. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    #17 CoreyB, May 24, 2013
    Looks like boardgamegeek just posted an article with playdek about Agricola. To me, it sounds like the app has been reviewed and passed by apple( it doesn't say that, just what I'm reading between the lines) and they are clearly working to drum up interest in the game. There is a lot of talk about getting people who have never played the game into Agricola and "exclusive" screenshots. Definetly marketing jargon. Don't get me wrong, when this releases I'm buying ASAP, but the longer and longer this drags out, I'm starting to get more excited for warhammer: quest coming this Wednesday .

18. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008

19. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    You dirty monkey, I actually thought you meant it had dropped.

20. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    That was an awesome interview and I especially liked the part where they said that even eight graders could learn Agricola and how they set up a simulation of async play using the boardgame in the office.

I hope the end result will be as accessible as Ascension and not as initially confusing like Nightfall...