Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 11-17-2013, 10:34 PM

It's showing as free to me on the us App Store so I didn't nab a key.... But it is very cool of you to provide them, thanks. Looking forward to trying this out tomorrow on the way to work. Cheers!
Old 11-18-2013, 08:56 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

So I've given it a proper go...

It is a solid first effort as a team with a few minor problems. First I would say is to control issue. While the controls are decent and work, often times I found that the control sticks would become unresponsive at times. This is probably due to the way that the virtual sticks are not anchored to a specific point the rather float which causes them to constantly reset on their own. This causes issues sometimes where the character while moving, would stop moving into the night was moving them or stop shooting in the direction I was shooting with them. This is a minor issue the one that should be addressed immediately, preferably by giving the option to give the player locked in virtual sticks.

The second issue I have with the game is that while fun and technically sound, the game feels quite bland. The environments are interesting to look good though they do tend to all become amount of us and blend together. The other issue is that there is no sense of progression in the characters abilities. I think it would benefit if there were other weapons, upgrades, power ups, or other things that would otherwise make the gameplay more interesting. As it stands is just a very good-looking dual stick shooter looking up into various modes of play but is lacking some diversity in the gameplay and incentive to keep playing. Loot is the name of the game with these type of games; different guns and such are a great incentive to keep you playing.

Lastly, I will agree that it needs some music, something to help not make it feel so empty.

Other than that, it actually is a good game. Don't take the critique as a diminish meant of your accomplishments here, this is a solid foundation for a great game!
Old 11-18-2013, 09:21 AM

I have played through the entire first level and here is my feedback. This is a great first attempt and it is obvious that you put a lot of work into this. A few things that you could improve on would be: Adding sound effects for enemies and the environment. Add some soft, eerie, spacey background music. Iron out the controls just a little bit. I noticed when attempting to shoot, sometimes it would work. There are a couple of bugs that I noticed. First one would be my character launching in the air nearing the end of the level. Second one, I hit next level after the end of the first and it took me to the main menu. Once at the main menu, I could not select level 2(not sure if that is released yet). Lastly, I'm not sure what your endgame is with this, wether it will be a full game that you wanted to create, or just a tech demo that you are using for experimentation, but if you wanted to use this character/game in the future and build off of this, I would recommend providing a little more back story.

Overall, it plays pretty well and the character designs are pretty cool. It's a very good first attempt at iOS.
Cheers and best of luck!
Rob

Edit: I played through defense mode. Very awesome. I did have the level issue again, where it took me back to the main menu and now I cannot select level 2. I'm sure you'll work out the bugs though.

Also, going back through comments, it seems like you are taking feedback very seriously. I would love to bata test for the updated version if you need testers.

Last edited by tre8or; 11-18-2013 at 09:46 AM..
Old 11-18-2013, 01:07 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bool Zero View Post
So I've given it a proper go...

It is a solid first effort as a team with a few minor problems. First I would say is to control issue. While the controls are decent and work, often times I found that the control sticks would become unresponsive at times. This is probably due to the way that the virtual sticks are not anchored to a specific point the rather float which causes them to constantly reset on their own. This causes issues sometimes where the character while moving, would stop moving into the night was moving them or stop shooting in the direction I was shooting with them. This is a minor issue the one that should be addressed immediately, preferably by giving the option to give the player locked in virtual sticks.

The second issue I have with the game is that while fun and technically sound, the game feels quite bland. The environments are interesting to look good though they do tend to all become amount of us and blend together. The other issue is that there is no sense of progression in the characters abilities. I think it would benefit if there were other weapons, upgrades, power ups, or other things that would otherwise make the gameplay more interesting. As it stands is just a very good-looking dual stick shooter looking up into various modes of play but is lacking some diversity in the gameplay and incentive to keep playing. Loot is the name of the game with these type of games; different guns and such are a great incentive to keep you playing.

Lastly, I will agree that it needs some music, something to help not make it feel so empty.

Other than that, it actually is a good game. Don't take the critique as a diminish meant of your accomplishments here, this is a solid foundation for a great game!
In the options you can choose a static joystick already ^^ but still shooting doesn't feel as pleasurable as I would intend will experiment a lot more with that for the next release. Some of the previous feedback suggested I should play with the rate of fire, and maybe increase it by at least 2x.

Loot is definetly the name of the game! I'm indeed planning to create a inventory system and add loot to the game.

Don't worry, I know that critique is the path to success xD It's really hard, near impossible to do it perfect the first time, but with enough feedback and work things can get better ^^ I really appreciate the feedback, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre8or View Post
I have played through the entire first level and here is my feedback. This is a great first attempt and it is obvious that you put a lot of work into this. A few things that you could improve on would be: Adding sound effects for enemies and the environment. Add some soft, eerie, spacey background music. Iron out the controls just a little bit. I noticed when attempting to shoot, sometimes it would work. There are a couple of bugs that I noticed. First one would be my character launching in the air nearing the end of the level. Second one, I hit next level after the end of the first and it took me to the main menu. Once at the main menu, I could not select level 2(not sure if that is released yet). Lastly, I'm not sure what your endgame is with this, wether it will be a full game that you wanted to create, or just a tech demo that you are using for experimentation, but if you wanted to use this character/game in the future and build off of this, I would recommend providing a little more back story.

Overall, it plays pretty well and the character designs are pretty cool. It's a very good first attempt at iOS.
Cheers and best of luck!
Rob

Edit: I played through defense mode. Very awesome. I did have the level issue again, where it took me back to the main menu and now I cannot select level 2. I'm sure you'll work out the bugs though.

Also, going back through comments, it seems like you are taking feedback very seriously. I would love to bata test for the updated version if you need testers.
That in the end is a little easter egg, using it you can access that elevation in the center of the map, there is an enemy spawner there where you can spawn the different enemy types to test.

I'm trying to find good Sound FX Packages now, the game needs sounds for sure! Hopefully I'll have sounds soon.

I'd definitely like to have some people that have played plenty Twin Stick Shooters to beta this one especially to make sure that the controls are working how they should. Sent you a pm \o