Sarah and The City of Dead - iOS and Android Game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by fatboxsoftware, Apr 4, 2014.

1. fatboxsoftware

fatboxsoftware Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2011
    iPhone Multimedia
    Ormond Beach
    Introducing one of my current mobile game projects. This is the story of a young lady stuck in a world that has deteriorated. She's alone for now, and struggling to survive.

It's rough right now. When on a two week schedule to get this game out of the door, things are rough at the start.

http://everyplay.com/videos/4048879

I put the new Everyplay SDK into this Android project and it worked and uploaded right to Youtube. Doesn't look bad at all considering this was recorded directly from my Samsung Galaxy S2 (which is an older Android device.) This is a project that's currently in a prototype state.

Early gray box testing Video on Youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl7mklCJVNA&list=UU8wwKKr-GpntrUnFpN15kVw

Last but not least an early screenshot of our protagonist hero for this game.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NOTE : In the final development stage will revisit her texture and make sure her clothing is more appropriate for her surroundings (i.e. post apocalyptic world). Right now she looks like she walked out of Old Navy.

2. coderkid

coderkid Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Looks promising, you have my attention.

3. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    This looks pretty frickin cool, but aiming seems a bit wonky

4. master lee

master lee Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Greece kos island
    This^

5. gamesin

gamesin Member

Mar 27, 2014
    Kor
    This is a meaningful achievement. I think the game will be more good if aiming, Zombie's AI can be revised.

6. fatboxsoftware

Mar 15, 2011
    iPhone Multimedia
    Ormond Beach
    Yep. The shooting mechanic is very clunky right now. I'm working on a system to put in place that will smooth that out, assist in auto aiming at a nearest target (but with error amount depending on stress level). Stress level is a complex term, but in simpler terms will just be a few math variables to determine how many enemy are around her and how near they are to her. This will help determine the error amount. Don't want to make the auto aim too simple, so that it's just a gun and run situation.

7. fatboxsoftware

Mar 15, 2011
    iPhone Multimedia
    Ormond Beach
    Did a bit of Photoshop work today to get a placeholder logo in the game build menus. This is the result of an hour so of work.

[​IMG]

8. ToonuvaGames

ToonuvaGames Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Game Developer
    Burlington, Vermont.
    I have full faith you'll make this great! :)

9. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    I am very excited about this game you are developing!
    How's it going?

10. fatboxsoftware

Mar 15, 2011
    iPhone Multimedia
    Ormond Beach
    Update on this project's transition. I'm very aware of the major issues right now in the game play. This video demo is a bit odd due to using a mouse to simulate the touch events.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rqT6_nW3MA&list=UU8wwKKr-GpntrUnFpN15kVw​​

Looking for ideas from the community.

Project is a sidescrolling, wave shooter. Need some ideas to enhance gameplay or reward players. Basic shoot and kill zombies is working, player damage is working, wave spawning and increased zombies/difficulty per wave is working. Here are my current notes on the build.

Sarah and the City of Dead Bug Fixes/Revisions/Improvements:

1.) Implement different weapons, currently player only carries an M4 single shot rifle. Could do a 3 round burst option, shotgun, machine gun, samurai sword, baseball bat, pipe wrench, etc.?

2.) Implement better spawning for zombies, better placement, etc.
    Right now they (zombies) spawn randomly down or up the road surface and if you are close to a random spawn point, they just suddenly appear right on top of you. It’s possible to make them appear to walk out from behind buildings or other structures. Maybe they can crawl out from under the ground? Crawling option will require a unique shader to produce the “hole” in the road surface.

3.) Many sections in the earlier waves now feel “vacant” and I have to go “hunt” down zombies to kill. This creates a lull of downtime that extends what is acceptable for a fun experience.

4.) Reward players with some kind of gathering collectible that will enhance or improve gameplay somehow. It’s possible to reward cash or coins or something so the player can purchase new weapons. Maybe our undead zombies had some cash in their old crusty wallets?