Have Rovio waited to long to move on to the next title?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by NickFalk, May 13, 2011.

1. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

No, I’m not about to complain about Angry Birds or the incredible level of success Rovio have had with the franchise. I’m merely thinking that they should have released a couple of different titles before A.B. became such an omnipresent powerhouse of an app. Why? Well, whenever they decide to do move on there will be a lot of eyes on “Rovio’s first new app since Angry Birds”. Anything but a huge success might be interpreted as a failure, possibly resulting in bad press.

What do you think, are they risking becoming a victim of their own success or have they done the right thing spending all(?) their resources building the Angry Birds brand?

2. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Ummm why should they? The Ab franchise is working. They might as well keep developing of it. More updates maybe some new characters which you can unlock with In app Purchases?

3. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

I think my post kind of suggests why(?) ;)

Releasing another game does not mean they should abandon Angry Birds that would be a mistake. I just think they have in a sense put all their eggs in one basket. (Pun not intended, but made a lot of sense).

4. Rofl Copter

Rofl Copter Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2011
    To be honest, I think Rovio's going to stay angry birds. It's made them a ridiculous amount of money, and any game they sell for it will be successful.

If, however, they do release another different game, it'll be a hit anyway and seeing Angry Birds Rio I think it would be pretty high in quality.

5. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    They have another game on Mobile that is like a gears which would be great if it was ported to IOS.

6. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    I think it's up to them. I mean, they've made quite a bit off of AB, but it's just not the kind of game that I like. It looks like they have some pretty good talent, so why not move into other genres or styles?

7. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    Angry birds works because people can trust in it. They know what to expect, so they are willing to cough up the money. I think we will see a few more angry bird spinoffs climb the chart before a new game from Rovio