iPhone Halcyon (from creator of Bit Pilot and Unify)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by stfj, Oct 20, 2010.

1. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    #1 stfj, Oct 20, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
    Hey guys, I wanted to post a preview video of my upcoming iPad game Halcyon. It's an action puzzle game / musical instrument.

If you liked Unify, you will definitely enjoy Halcyon.

This is a preview of an entire single play-through of Aggression Endless mode. The endless modes in Halcyon dynamically adjust difficulty to challenge the player no matter their skill level. Aggression tries to make you lose, while harmony (not shown) is more of a zen mode, encouraging you to play longer and feel like you are doing better. Sorry about the iffy quality of the video. swamped with development on a few projects so I didn't have time for an HD trailer yet, and I wanted to show something to you guys as soon as possible :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

[​IMG]

Halcyon is named for the mythological bird of ancient Greece, said to charm the winds and seas into a calm during the Winter Solstice.

It is a spacial action puzzle game and interactive stringed instrument designed specifically for the iPad. Colored currents are fated to travel the length of the strings inexorably toward each other. Strum the strings to manipulate the currents to their matching colors, creating both phonic and visual harmony. Take on the role of the Halcyon, conducting nature, and bringing calm to the wind, sea, land, and stars.

Attached Files:

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Looks fun!

3. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Yes, looks fun.

4. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    That looks great!

Is it multitouch? (i.e. can we shift triangles on both sites of the screen ala Unify?)

5. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    it sure is. It's also pretty interesting to it co-op play with a friend (putting the ipad between you and each taking a side)

6. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    It looks really fun, but I'm not a big fan of the art. I loved the art in Bit Pilot though. So will there be an iPhone version?

7. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    @doodlejumper I'm sorry you're not into the art :( it's definitely targeted more in the abstract representational direction of unify than bit pilot... and to keep disappointing, there probably wont be an iphone version either.

the game was really designed from the ground up to be for the ipad. the mechanic is built around the idea of using multitouch and the large screen size to drive a unique puzzle game.

I hope that if you have an iPad you still check it out though. I think you'll enjoy it if you were into bit pilot. Both games play off a similar part of the brain.

8. doodlejumper

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    It's not that the art is bad, but I'm not much for abstract. And that's a big bummer about the iPhone version, this looks epic and I won't be getting an iPad anytime soon if at all. :(

9. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

holy shit you're a master at this game! multitakers never were my type of game though, so i dont think i'll be missing out. i've got my good ol' ipod with bit pilot to keep me company :D

10. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    ahaha,. sorry to hear that you're not into multitaskers, but glad to hear you're still playing Bit Pilot..... there might be something nice around christmas time for you regarding that..... ;)

11. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    #11 stfj, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
    Halcyon was submitted a few days ago and hopefully will be out soon!

Also, I just posted a new trailer!
    Here it is along with a few newscreenshots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. magihiro

magihiro Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    he can read, folks

13. doodlejumper

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    Let's all give him a big hand.

On another note (dev), what percent chance do you see this getting ported to iPhone. I'd LOVE to play it and don't see why it couldn't be done. Sure it's easier on iPad because of this bigger screen, but games like Bit.Trip.Beat have proven the power of both the iPad's, and the iPhone's screen. Plus the fact that there are many more iPhone gamers than iPad gamers, so better for sales. :)

14. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    I'd love to port it to the iphone but theres no way it would work. The difference between games like this and something like bit trip is that halcyon is all about selecting things and moving them specific places. With the tiny screen size it would be impossible and the controls would go from being really nice to frustrating :(

one thing I am thinking about though is making a special iphone vs. version where you can play against other players with iphones on a smaller instrument size so the controls aren't as much of a problem

15. 5duc29

5duc29 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    #15 5duc29, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
    The videos were awesome! Looks like an instant buy for me when it releases.

What will be the price for this good looking game?

EDIT: Never mind, looks like it was just released..