★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Good "Visual Novel"-style games?

03-09-2013, 03:08 PM
#1
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 721
Good "Visual Novel"-style games?

I'm in the middle of finishing the final chapter of "The Secret of Chateau de Moreau", which has been an awesome experience so far. I was wondering if you all had any other games of that style to recommend, since Phoenix Wright has yet to make it to iOS.

Thanks!
03-09-2013, 05:56 PM
#2
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Philippines
Posts: 20,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpha View Post
I'm in the middle of finishing the final chapter of "The Secret of Chateau de Moreau", which has been an awesome experience so far. I was wondering if you all had any other games of that style to recommend, since Phoenix Wright has yet to make it to iOS.

Thanks!
You know there's one Phoenix Wright game for the iOS already right?

Cthulhu Uber Alles has a great story and narrative, but is lacking in gameplay mechanics.

Try the gamebooks too. I liked Judge Dredd a lot, but wasnt able to complete everything. Fighting Fantasy Blood of the Zombies is one of my favorites.

Im not sure if point and click adventures are ok with you, coz the telltale games are so well written in story and gameplay for almost every single one of their titles, with The Walking Dead being their most powerful title.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword

03-09-2013, 08:15 PM
#3
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
You know there's one Phoenix Wright game for the iOS already right?

Cthulhu Uber Alles has a great story and narrative, but is lacking in gameplay mechanics.

Try the gamebooks too. I liked Judge Dredd a lot, but wasnt able to complete everything. Fighting Fantasy Blood of the Zombies is one of my favorites.

Im not sure if point and click adventures are ok with you, coz the telltale games are so well written in story and gameplay for almost every single one of their titles, with The Walking Dead being their most powerful title.
I'll definitely check those out; thanks! Don't know why I temporarily had amnesia on Walking Dead-- been meaning to try those out. Derp.

There's a Phoenix wright game out already? I thought the HD trilogy was the first ios release they were doing of the series, and that still hasn't hit yet. Thanks for the correction!
03-09-2013, 11:14 PM
#4
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 913
There is an english translation patch for the ios port of Steins;gate . You don't have to be jailbroken to apply it apparently.

http://tsuuun.blogspot.sg/
03-10-2013, 12:28 AM
#5
Joined: May 2010
Location: Deepest Circle, Hell
Posts: 7,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpha View Post
There's a Phoenix wright game out already? I thought the HD trilogy was the first ios release they were doing of the series, and that still hasn't hit yet.
I have no idea what kind of pricing Capcom have in mind for the HD trilogy, but if you buy the PW game that's already on the app store now, when HD Trilogy comes out, it'll basically be an update to the current app. If you want to take a chance with that, go ahead, but they could always go the "Ghost Trick" route and release something (be it the first game [doubt it], the first case, etc.) for free. Your call.

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"
03-10-2013, 04:47 AM
#6
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,390
Yeah Walking Dead has probably one of the best stories, but as EP also mentioned the Tinman Gamebooks aren't too bad, visually they tend to be a bit rushed past the cover but they're pretty good value overall.
03-10-2013, 09:20 AM
#7
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Over The Rainbow
Posts: 3,154
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
Hector: Badge of Carnage
The Silent Age
Broken Sword: Director's Cut
Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror: Remastered
Beneath a Steel Sky: Remastered
The Last Express

Enjoy.
03-10-2013, 09:26 AM
#8
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: The Garden of Sinners
Posts: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by violentv View Post
There is an english translation patch for the ios port of Steins;gate . You don't have to be jailbroken to apply it apparently.

http://tsuuun.blogspot.sg/
Oh sh!t I have no idea there's a patch for the iOS version, thanks a bunch

Now I wonder if there's a patch for Chaos;head too... Wait that group is also working on Chaos;head? Awesomesauce!!!

Last edited by squashy; 03-10-2013 at 09:29 AM.