Porting your iOS Game to Android

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by jaoued, Aug 22, 2014.

1. jaoued

jaoued Member

Aug 20, 2014
    Entrepreneur
    London
    Has anyone come across solution called MyAppConverter?

The service is not opened yet and from their site it says:

MyAppConverter lets you convert instantly and automatically your iOS game to Android. Beta service is currently under way and public service will start next month. The code conversion operates with the following supported frameworks: Cocos2d, Foundation, CoreFoundation, AVFoundation, OpenAL, OpenGLES, AudioToolBox, CoreGraphics, GLKit, UIKit and SpriteKit, IOS 7.1 to Android 4.4.2, iPhone5 to Samsung 5.

Key Benefits of MyAppConverter:

1. It is native-to-native code conversion using our online cloud based conversion core engine or via a developer's IDE plug-in
    2. The code conversion process takes minutes only and covers the main mobile dev platforms and devices.
    3. It is not based on current cross-platform development solutions, so no SDK to download, no new framework or language to learn, etc, ...
    4. The code conversion is based on Semantic driven transformation, which is unique in the current market.

2. vbnn2

vbnn2 Active Member

I suggest you should use multi-platform framework rather than porting tool, i try to use Apportable with cocos2d-iphone v3, many step and i fail...

3. jaoued

jaoued Member

Aug 20, 2014
    Entrepreneur
    London
    #3 jaoued, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
    Thank you. However I use SpriteKit. I have signed up to MyAppConverter and will give it a try. They gave me some free conversions to test my game to convert to Android. The explaining video states it converts native Objective C to native Android. As I also know Java Android, I am keen to see it working.

4. vbnn2

vbnn2 Active Member

I'm glad if you sharing your result here.
    I love to work with objective-C more than other language :)

5. jaoued

jaoued Member

Aug 20, 2014
    Entrepreneur
    London
    Sure will do. Cheers.

6. jaoued

jaoued Member

Aug 20, 2014
    Entrepreneur
    London
  7. Rogue

Rogue Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 9, 2011
    Games Developer
    Brisbane, Australia
    Android, iOS, Windows and OSX will all run openGL and C++ and of those 4 platforms, 3 will support openAL. For this reason, we use basic openGL wrappers on each platform and run the same game code and, generally, the same shaders. This also gives us complete control over our game engine and our games source remains platform independent.

If you want to support multiple platforms I would recommend a platform independent approach. You want to avoid objective c and java.

8. jaoued

jaoued Member

Aug 20, 2014
    Entrepreneur
    London
    Thank you. I don't want to give up on iOS and since Swift is on its way, MyAppConverter seems to be a good approach to generate native Java from Obj-C.

9. TheBunny

TheBunny Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2008
    MMO Mac Lead ZeniMax Online
    Baltimore
    All 4 should support support openAL
    even if you need to build your own version of the libs... which is easy and are floating around the net.

10. Rogue

Rogue Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 9, 2011
    Games Developer
    Brisbane, Australia
    True, you can build openal software libs which wrap up openSL or soundpool. I found since I had a basic sound system wrapping openal on my other platforms, that it was easier/safer to use openSL on droid rather than possibly slow down my system using any openal software libs that I personally cannot verify are leak free and fast. The differences are not so major to be honest.

Because swift is platform specific you are boxing yourself into supporting apple platforms and relying on conversion tools for anything else. My feelings on metal are the same: The porting cost (whether money or time) just goes way up.

For the record: It took me about a month to port to android, with most of the time spent learning to build a basic app with the NDK (and a mere 2 days for OSX - it was very like iOS). Before that we had a look at using a conversion tool but it seemed too restrictive.