Games like Redshift's "The Quest?"

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by maawolfe36, Oct 22, 2012.

1. maawolfe36

maawolfe36 New Member

May 28, 2012
    Summer job hunting right now. Full-Time student.
    Chattanooga, TN
    Lately I've fallen in love with "The Quest" which is an old-school style first-person dungeon crawler RPG. I loved the turn-based mechanics and the retro art feel, and I'm looking for any iOS games similar to it. I've tried a few but nothing really sticks out to me as being very good or replayable, especially after playing something as amazing as The Quest. Does anyone know of other games similar to this? I'm trying Undercroft but I really don't like the choppy movement. Call me picky, but I like how you can see the movement take place in The Quest, as opposed to Undercroft's "jumping" from one space to another. It just makes it feel a little better as far as gameplay mechanics go. I'm willing to try anything, though. I found an earlier thread about this that referenced DragonBane II but that isn't available on the app store. Suggestions?

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Alternate Reality: The City
    Alternate Reality: The Dungeon

In the World of Retro Games app

These are the C64 versions, you might prefer the Spectrum ZX versions, City & Dungeon, but they're a buck apiece.

Sad to hear that DragonBane II is gone from the app store, it's dated, but a real classic, and a real contender to The Bard's Tale II. (Though it did not scroll smoothly like The Quest.)

3. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I've played both Undercroft and the Quest.
    IMO both games have great stuff and drawbacks.
    I would say, stick through a couple of hours of Undercroft, and it'll grow on you. You'll get used to the movement and I believe the game is worth it.

Also, there's loads of expansion packs to the Quest, enough to last for months, so if you haven't tried those, then what are you waiting for? :)

I particularly liked Undercroft because of the party system which The Quest lacked, but each to his own..

4. Bloko

Bloko Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
  5. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    #6 spacecowgoesmoo, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
    And Wolfenstein RPG. They're both pretty short and slightly RPG-lite tbh, but really innovative and worth your time if you've never seen them before.

There's also some modern Wizardry games if you don't mind anime graphics and a 6-man party. If you want unofficial 'remakes' of the original ones with slightly different maps, there's a series of free games entitled Sorcerer.

The Bard's Tale (which is a port of the PS2 remake) contains all 3 of the original DOS games. Not a one-man party game, again, but it's close.

6. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Silversword anyone? I haven't seen it mentioned and I think it fits greatly with the style of game as The Quest series of games (and there are a few of them). Mission Europa and Eternal Throne are two more that come to mind!

7. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    It kills me that the Wizardry license is split between regions, as I personally don't care for the Japanese developed entries in the series, and the euro and western developed entries have been drew and too far between in my opinion. Bards Tale is a worthy mention though, having the original three games included is a nice throwback down memory lane!

8. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    There is...

Alternative Reality The Dungeon &
    Alternate Reality The Dungeon
    Alternate Reality The City
    Akalabeth - World of Doom!
    Crawler ?
    Descend RPG
    Doom II RPG
    Dragon Bane II
    Dungeon of the Damned
    Eternal Throne
    The Labyrinth Phase 1
    Malum Umbra
    Princess Demelza
    The Quest
    The Quest Gold
    The Quest: Celtic Rift
    The Quest: Cursed Chess Set
    The Quest: Islands of Fire and Ice
    The Quest: Hero of Lukomorye I
    The Quest: Hero of Lukomorye II
    The Quest: Hero of Lukomorye III
    The Quest: Hero of Lukomorye IV
    The Quest: Hero of Lukomorye V
    The Quest: Mithril Horde
    The Quest: Mithril Horde II
    The Quest: Escape from Asteroids
    The Quest: Lost Archipelagos
    The Quest: Attack from Asteroids
    Silversword
    Sorcerer 1 [Free]
    Sorcerer 2 [Free]
    Sorcerer 4 [Free]
    Temple of Arkdoom
    Undercroft [Free]
    Wizardry Labryrinth of Lost Souls
    Wolfenstein RPG

9. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Great list, Undeadcow - unfortunately DragonBaneII and Princess Demelza are both gone from the AppStore.

And you forgot Tumulus of Fen. ;)

Also, the OP asked for games that scroll smoothly like The Quest.

Best alternatives on iOS are probably Wolf 3D RPG and Doom II RPG as they have 3D engines. (Too bad iD didn't port Orcs & Elves, that was a great game on the DS using the same engine.)

10. maawolfe36

maawolfe36 New Member

May 28, 2012
    Chattanooga, TN
    Thanks for all the help folks! I'll definitely look into those!
    I have Wolfenstein, and I would consider it more like an early FPS as opposed to a dungeon crawler. Still a great game though. The main thing I like better about The Quest over Wolfenstein is the turn-based action.
    Tumulus of Fen looks promising. :D
    I wasn't really impressed by Silversword, but it might grow on me if I play it a bit more.
    I actually own The Bard's Tale and love the new 3d top-down version, but the original games are hard to control on an iPod's small screen.
    Is DOOM II turn based, or rail shooter, or more like Wolfenstein? I'll probably end up buying it anyway, but I want to know what to expect ;)
    I looked up Eternal Throne and it had some bad reviews... Makes me a little leery of it, but I might try it if it goes on sale.
    Akalabeth is a little TOO old school for my taste :p
    Alternative Reality and Dragon Bane are not on the app store :(

Thanks again for all the help you guys! Any other suggestions, I never have enough video games ;)

11. Issac

Issac Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Oubliette. It is like Wizardy, but the battle system is like Final Fantasy's ATB. Alos, it's free to download, and then you can purchase the rest of the game after playing a few levels.

I really haven't played that much of it, but from the little time I have spent with it I'd say it's at least worth a try :)

12. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Legend of grimrock is supposed to be coming. Im still waiting for that.

I play Socerer #5 but that might be too old school for some people. Its pretty rough but plays like a true dungeon crawler.

Nothing like The Quest though. Thats almost like a 2D elder scrolls game.

13. Bloko

Bloko Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Doom II RPG is turn based, just like The Quest.

(Wolfenstein has an RPG turn-based version too.)

14. Issac

Issac Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Is Grinrick still coming to iOS? I know you can get it on gog.com for PC. Why not Mac? Waaaaahhhhh!!!!:mad:

15. 99c_gamer

Mar 23, 2009
    last I heard its coming to ios. You can play it on your mac if you have windows installed it runs fine.

16. Issac

Issac Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    True. I'd rather not have Windows... but the growing list of gog.com titles vs. the paltry Mac selection might sway me...

17. 99c_gamer

Mar 23, 2009
    If you have it in dual boot it shouldnt mess up your Mac stuff at all. I use an external drive with windows vista on it so theres no overlap. Older games run fine Im Playing Shadow of Destiny PC version right now which I bought off of amazon for $5

18. maawolfe36

maawolfe36 New Member

May 28, 2012
    Chattanooga, TN
    I found Tumulus of Fen for free a couple weeks ago, which was AWESOME! (I love free stuff lol) I do enjoy Tumulus of Fen, but it's not as story-driven as the Quest. I've gone through a couple of expansions for The Quest since this post, so for now I'm content lol

I bought DOOM and I absolutely LOVE it! It's a great RPG but it's more smooth and not turn-based like the Quest. Is Doom II RPG as good as the first?

As always, huge thanks to all you folks for all your suggestions!

19. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Note that Doom: RPG is a turn-based RPG based on Doom, which is pretty much an action game. They share lots of elements, but play very differently.