Tiny Tower - Tips & Strategies Thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by KiddToKmart, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Jengajam

Jengajam Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Game Reviewer/Creative Lead
    Singapore
    I'd like to point out that when you "Dress up" a Bitizen, one coin will be used for the makeover. It didn't really show up on screen until I realised my coin counter dropping. Beware!

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Yeah you should add little tips such as clothes changes being 1 coin, getting 100 buckets of paint for 1 bux and floor moving being 1 bux. Mention the stock icons too, a lot of people miss those :)

3. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Main post updated. What do you mean by Stock Icons?

4. Dragu Rawr

Dragu Rawr Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Shhhhs i'm loving the ART OF CHEATING idk if it works, but it should ;)
    Just go out of the app then switch to settings and change the time to whatever you want :) Hope this helps :p

5. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    #25 MidianGTX, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
    The icons on each floor name that light up to let you know what's in stock. It's useful for simply checking stock and also delivering VIPs as you can see which has the best stuff to try and sell.

Don't add this. It destroyed the point of Pocket Frogs and it'll do the same here. If people want to cheat they can work it out themselves and keep it to themselves.

6. KiddToKmart

Feb 10, 2011
    Agreed. Do consider editing out your post before it catches on and ruins it.

You too, Mid ;)

7. Doffie

Doffie Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Retired, now concentrating on good works and good
    Storrs, CT
    I just don't get it. Some folks, the minute a new game becomes available, look for ways to cheat. Doesn't affect me really, but it always leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth.

Always feel bad for those games and players to whom leader boards matter though.

8. TheCatsMeow

TheCatsMeow Well-Known Member

May 17, 2011
    No point editing it out..it's the oldest trick in the book and I think we have all learnt the consequences of doing that,
    For one, it ruins the entire game, maybe fun for a few hours, then it'd ruined.
    And also, when you go to change the time back to the right timel more often enough your game will be ruined and says "-22737 coins" or whatever..
    Happened to me on virtual villagers so I never did it again.
    Bought 3 lots of 5.99 packs for this game but not going to buy anymore,
    Not as addictive as I thought itd actually be, I do want to check on my tower and everything but it's not as addictive as lil pirates, them again I only get addicted to these things for small periods of time.

Couple little things that helped me-
    When assigning jobs, just remember the colors instead of trying to remember which job needs which points skills, the shop titles are a certain color, which should be paired with a bitizin with their highest skill being that color.

Figuring out where you want to put your VIP before talking to him, because once you talk to hi, you cant check shop stats

Do serve elevator dudes, it's worth it for the bux/save up and exchange for coins,

Only ever exchange 20 bux or 50 bux cause the others you get way less coins for your buck,

At the begining, even in the tutorial, dont spend any bux, as the game progresses everything takes longer and longer and you'll realize paying 1 bux to fast forward a 5 minute job is not worth it,,just wait out all jobs at the beginning basically, wish I did but I was impatient!

Try to equally buy the different genres of shops, if you have 3 food joints and only one of the rest, the food doesmt get as much sales

Always have 3 people hired each shop so you can restock the 3rd item, worth 3 coins a piece, the others only being 1 or 2 coins,

Always restock the highest coin value first, as it's also the longest time needed, then do the second, and the third, and you will get the coin bonus for stocking all items at once

Check bitbookl gives you hints about all types of random stuff and it's pretty funny at times,,
    One of my guys said "I love lamp"

Click on "hire" then scroll through the list and make sure there are no sad red faces, try to make sure every citizen is happy with their job so you get the bonuses, and 2 x stocking, etc.

I got 3 bux for putting a guy into his dream job, so defs aim for that, bux are the highest currency in the game, don't waste bux!

Before you go to sleep build as many floors as you can, so when you wake up there all constructed and you won't have to be tempted tomuse bux
    Always have enough bitizins to fill all your shops employers

9. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I still can't believe you spent so much money, and you weren't even sure you liked the game? Get some help!

10. sanitymops

sanitymops Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    I find that dressing all of the employees of a certain floor in the same type of hat makes the "find the person" mini game much easier... especially when you have a ton of floors to search.

I also keep all of my apartments together to keep things orderly.

11. Mctron

Mctron Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Spaced out Adventurerer
    Cool Sounding Coordinates #5
    Don't do don't even think about doing I did the clock trick and it will wreck this game. It puts every thing to like a 5 day wait even like just the really cheap restocks 5 days.

12. Ssylex

Ssylex Well-Known Member

May 18, 2011
    Software Engineer
    Something I noticed and posted on the main Tiny Tower thread:

You only need a store to be staffed while you're producing an item. So while a level three item requires three staff members at the store to produce, once the item is produced you can move them to a different store and the item will remain at the store, and continue to be sold. I imagine you need to leave at least one bitizen at the store to keep it open.

So you can shuffle level 8/9 employees around. It's super helpful while you're waiting for newly built apartments to fill up, and awesome when combined with certain stores that have HUGE inventory counts, like the soda brewery (stocks 1500 level 3 items).

13. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Quick question: I noticed as I went up in floors, the stores start to take longer to stock. Is that due to the store type, or is it just a function of how many floors up it is? For example, my first store was a frozen yogurt, and it takes something like 5m to stock the basic good. But if someone else didn't get a frozen yogurt until floor 10, I assume theirs would take longer. What would happen if he moved it down to floor 2? Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

14. Jengajam

Jengajam Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Singapore
    #34 Jengajam, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
    You can check which VIP is in the elevator (or "lift") by their looks:

Brown shirt: Deliveryman (Removes 3hrs worth of restocking time)
    Yellow hardhat: Construction worker (Removes 3hrs worth of construction of new floors)
    Green shirt w/ glasses: Big Spender (Buys out item from floor)
    Wearing sunglasses: Celebrity (Attracts a horde of customers to the floor you take them to)

Then decide what to do with him/her without moving said VIP. Just scroll down, but don't tap on the lobby, for a peek. You can essentially keep the VIP trapped in the elevator (still trapped in my elevator, this one). It's up to you whether you want the VIP to hog your elevator or use him immediately, so this may be better for the early parts of your game.

(I'm not sure if big spenders or celebrities are coloured randomly, but all my deliverymen and construction VIPs have the same features.)

15. alain91

alain91 Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    The money flicks off just quietly...LOL, the dresses cost one coin for each are one-off...

16. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Just asked eeen and he said stores stay the same after you move them.

17. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Thanks for asking Midian. Hmm, that still leaves me with a few questions though. Are the stores' times determined by the floor they were originally placed on? Or the order in which they were placed? Or maybe they're predetermined right when you create a new save. Maybe I'll do some testing on a separate TT save on a different device.

18. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Organized some more info to add:
    Dream job guys/girls do give 2x stock bonuses and that should be taken into account in selecting them over another employee with a higher skill level in the same category.
    The construction time is determined by your highest floor. Every time you buy a new floor construction time increases by 30 mins. (Try to start constructions on demolished floors before adding new floors)

Can someone confirm if elevator upgrades also increase frequency/decrease delay between new people arriving?

19. Jengajam

Jengajam Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Singapore
    I haven't seen a difference (besides speed difference, anyway) for the elevator passengers. I'm wondering what PPM is. Passengers per minute?

20. KiddToKmart

Feb 10, 2011
    Main post updated with Advanced Strategies. Still updating, so keep adding :)