Universal Super Monsters Ate My Condo! - (by adult swim)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Sep 26, 2012.

1. LordFerocious

LordFerocious Active Member

Sep 26, 2012
    While we liked the crazyness going on as well, we spent a lot of time working on making the game easier to understand, as it was identified with the original that a lot of people just didn't know what was going on. Reducing visual clutter and the addition of the combo beams were the two major changes we made to try and make the game simpler to understand.

2. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Right on, makes sense. Thanks for the response. =o)

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Hi LordFerocious... Is there anychance you could implement something that could make farming coins easier? Farming coins in between high-score-attempts is what's taking the fun out of the game. i bought the double coins IAP and still am nowhere near desired rate and balance between farming coins and playing for high scores using boosts. I can imagine those who didnt buy the double coins IAP are struggling twice more than I do.

Right now, it's either farm the boring way, or buy coins through IAP, or just abandon the game and play the first MAMC.

4. LordFerocious

Sep 26, 2012
    #164 LordFerocious, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
    I can assure you we're paying attention to your guys feedback and are interested in how the economy is working for everyone. Any suggestions made won't be falling on deaf ears. Personally I'm not important enough to make any promises on what will or won't happen ;)

In lieu of any changes, I'll just point out in case people don't know, activating solid tower (blue power) doubles coins collected from piggy banks, time from clocks and multipliers from multiplier condos. That can help when grinding for those coins.

5. Hoodie78

Hoodie78 Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Love the game, but I usually play on the subway and it doesn't seem to post my high score to Game Center unless I earn it while I have a signal. The game has recorded my high score, but the one on GC is way lower. I've opened the app and GC multiple times above ground and the score still won't post.

6. LordFerocious

Sep 26, 2012
    We noticed this as well. Should be fixed in the next update =)

7. ElectricGrandpa

ElectricGrandpa Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Thought I'd post a quick video of my current opening strategy... With this strategy, every single game I hit at least 1 billion points *with 2 minutes still left on the clock*. Read on to find out how it works.

[hqyoutube]64x6dPzD3n0[/hqyoutube]

My strategy revolves around the pink condos (pigs, clocks, x's).

I grab these boosts: green 2x, double good, slow chain.

For the first 30 seconds or so, I use blue's power constantly, so that all the pink condo benefits are doubled. This means that I have super long games (8+ min), but also get a really high multiplier AND make a ton of money (with the coin doubler, this strategy makes more than enough to pay for these boosts every single game).

The use of the slow chain boost means I get a lot more clocks, because clocks are created every time you do a chain. More clocks means more time and more x's.

The green 2x boost is the part of this strategy I'm the most unsure about. It seems to work best with it, but I'm testing out other boosts instead. I don't want to start with cat/dog, because I really don't want to go into megazone before the first 20-30 seconds are up (which is really easily to do accidentally if you have a cat).

Again, just re-emphasize: because of this strategy's emphasis on pink condos, with the coin doubler I make enough money *every single game* to buy these same boosts. When you account for the wheel at the end of the game, this strategy actually makes a healthy profit on average, AND has the potential for 10+ billion high scores.

PS: my Game Center name is ElectricGrandpa if you want to add me :)

8. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^Wow. that is pretty impressive. And the boosts arent the most expensive too.

9. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    QFT :eek:

That is some good **** right there. Thanks for the vid.

10. Thawkk

Thawkk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Holy crap. I tried this and almost tripled my high score with it. Thanks!

But if I may ask, what's the purpose of the 2x green boost, if you're trying to use the blue power for the first 30 seconds? Is it just so you can get a power going so you can switch over to blue when you get an upgraded condo? If so, couldn't you use the 10x yellow boost starter for that, since it's about half as cheap?

11. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Thanks for the video and strategy!
    I just wish I could fling those condos as fast as you can on my iTouch 4g!

12. ElectricGrandpa

ElectricGrandpa Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Good question! So first it's important to note that the powers stack, so if you activate blue in the first 20 seconds, you'll have blue and green power at same time.

The reason green is good is because it creates lots of upgraded condos, which in turn mix with the pink condos to create large combos, which give much larger bonuses. So really the purpose of the green is to make the impact of the pink condos even greater.

13. Thawkk

Thawkk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Ah, okay, I didn't realize the powers would stack. I thought that only happened if you used a dog condo or if you used the yellow and green starting boosts at the same time. That makes sense now. Thanks for clarifying.

14. runliketurtles

runliketurtles Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    I've tried to like this game, but I just can't. Having to do any farming ruins the fun. This game represent everything wrong with iOS gaming these days. I could imagine people who like FarmVille liking this game. Me, I'm taking option 3. Deleting Super again and going back to the vastly superior original.

15. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Same here, 100%

They could have made the greatest game of all time and instead they made one based on IAP

Btw, MAMC is one of my favourites, going to play it now :)

16. GeekyDad

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    I wouldn't say I've taken a 180-degree turn in terms of how I feel about the game, but at the end of the day, I still have to say this is the better game. I went back to MAMC today, and it kinda pales in comparison to the excitement of SMAMC. That being said, I still resent the cost of boosts and having Orient Express constantly shoved in my face at a cost of 10k coins per run -- that's truly insulting. The gameplay itself, though, is just superior to the first one. I'm having the opposite experience: I tried to hate it, but I can't. If they can tweak it a little so that it doesn't insult veteran players and is less grindy, I will be pretty much completely satisfied.

17. LordFerocious

Sep 26, 2012
    #177 LordFerocious, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
    Sorry to tell you that this isn't true! If you only have one "power" boost active it's effectively the same as if you fed a diamond to that monster. Feeding an upgraded condo to another monster will thus keep the 20 second timer, but double condo won't be active anymore. You'll notice in your video that when you've activated the blue power, your second match of 6 condos (4 red + 2 pigs) only produces 2 bronzes (1 for each 3 in the match) at 0:17.

It might look like they stack if you swipe it during a match. This is because when the match is formed, if the green power is active it will already apply double condo do that match. Then you swipe before the match finishes triggering stable tower, and it then still spawns double the condos, even though green power is no longer active. This works the same way in that you can activate double condo during a match, and it will still apply to that match even though you formed it before double condo was active.

So yeah, you're not making very good use of your 3rd boost in this strategy ;)

18. LordFerocious

Sep 26, 2012
    #178 LordFerocious, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
    Just curious if you were referring to anything other than grinding for coins here?

19. GeekyDad

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    That and, as I mentioned before, the absurdly overpriced Orient Express that constantly pops up. It should be an unlockable option after you reach a certain rank, playable whenever you want and have its own leaderboard.

As an aside, it would be nice to have a separate no-boost leaderboard as well.

20. bacon-N-eggs

bacon-N-eggs Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2012
    This!!!!