Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 11-18-2013, 05:10 AM
iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.x

As the AppStore does no changes after Dec 21st to Dec 27th, I am assuming that if you do get a game out on the 20th, it could be staying in the "Free" or "Paid" section of its category for that whole week. Not sure how many other people will try this, my guess is a lot. But it might give a bit of a boost to sales.

On the down side, the competition to be featured will be much higher.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleau View Post
@ChaoticBox - Is the answer from experience or apps/games that you know of? I also found this article that takes on this topic - Want to get your game noticed during the holidays? Forget it...
Experience (and from what I've heard from other devs). I've been at this since 2008 with a few releases in Nov-Dec. It's difficult to get noticed at any time of the year, but there's just so much going on in these months that even if you do get coverage it'll likely get buried the same day. Getting a decent App Store feature with dozens of big-budget games out at the same time is also next to nil.

First week of November is the cutoff date I recommend, but by that point you might do better releasing first or second week of January. TA just posted a relevant article today: http://toucharcade.com/2013/11/18/th...december-27th/ Pay attention to the last paragraph

Last edited by ChaoticBox; 11-18-2013 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: Grammer
Old 11-19-2013, 02:28 AM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Thanks for the link! You points and that last paragraph make a lot of sense.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:42 AM

I must agree with what has been said here. Don't try to compete with the big guys before Xmas. Of course we'll all read about great numbers (downloads, revenue, etc) after Xmas. From my experience it's better to wait and release the game after Xmas. There will be plenty of new devices after new year (not just during Xmas .

Last edited by appdownme; 11-21-2013 at 08:46 AM..
Old 11-23-2013, 04:53 AM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

I was also considering launching in the third/fourth week. In many companies that i know of or where my friends work, usually they get the salary on the 25th or around that date. Just curious if this applies to most of the companies or i just got the wrong data )

The strategy being to launch when they have money. In the first weeks of January, no money ) unless you have a free game. Then you have a slight advantage
Old 11-23-2013, 10:11 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

For big games, BEFORE. They'll probably get featured and be stuck on the feature list for the full week during shutdown.

For small games, probably after. Since everyone would be tired of all the big games by now, and all the companies throw out what they've got just before lock out, so the following weeks should be pretty bare..unless some big companies just missed the cut off date.. So your small app could get more exposure since it won't be up next to the big boys the following week, giving it a better chance at being featured.

However, it's now known that the following week is bare, so it wouldn't surprise me if some of the big companies have a trick up their sleeve and an extra title waiting to release after the lock out period, publishers especially.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:58 AM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

For big publishers I don't think they will keep any big attractive game for after the holidays unless they actually don't have budget allocated for it (which I doubt). The only reason would be that the game actually launches in January. Otherwise, I see no reason why they would not push with all their games for the Christmas Iced Apple Week. Hey, we have an Acronym now ) - CIAP/CAP (Christmas Iced Apple Week) )
Old 11-25-2013, 04:40 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

I recommend releasing the game before the Holidays.

Cause many people got iDevice as a gift during holidays and the first App/Games they download are the free ones.

Goodluck!
Old 11-26-2013, 11:27 AM

Here is an interesting article [url]http://mobiledevmemo.com/memo/fiksu-october-index-predicts-large-mobile-marketing-push-this-holiday/?d=e[/url]

which basically says everyone wants to be at top during the holidays..
Old 11-27-2013, 09:38 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Assuming you are not a massive company with an amazing game and a huge funding...

My advice: after the war will be better. The competition on the store is ENORMOUS all the year around. But for Xmas, it is even worst, so personally, I just don't even try to compete with a fresh game.

Anyway, it is extremely hard to get visibility even outside the holiday season. So, in reality, it doesn't matter witch day you'll get out. It will still be extremely hard and you still have to promote your games for a long period of time. So the initial launch day is just like any other day, it doesn't matter.

JC