★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Become a super-powerful AI who only wants one thing: paperclips. Use your unstoppable intelligence to create a massive paperclip empire in this addictive idle/management/strategy/sim.

The OFFICIAL mobile version of the hit browser game. No ads, no in-app purchases, full gameplay.

"The game is click-crack." - Wired

"This paperclip sim will cause your next existential crisis." - VentureBeat

"A hopelessly addicting game." - Forbes

"A terrifying lesson in how artificial intelligence will make us unnecessary." - Business Insider

"If this planet ends up with a tombstone, what is written on the tombstone may be, 'they didnt really understand what its like to be a paperclip maximizer.'" - Eliezer Yudkowsky
11-14-2017, 03:54 PM
Hi

Hi Everybody, Frank here, creator of Universal Paperclips. Thanks for creating this thread Boardumb. Happy to answer any questions about the game you might have. Also happy to trade strategy tips for 5-suit mode in Flip Flop Solitaire.

11-14-2017, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lantz View Post
Hi Everybody, Frank here, creator of Universal Paperclips. Thanks for creating this thread Boardumb. Happy to answer any questions about the game you might have. Also happy to trade strategy tips for 5-suit mode in Flip Flop Solitaire.
Thanks for this great game and interesting concept Frank!
So glad it’s now on mobile! Surprised me to see it out today so I will grab it for sure
11-14-2017, 06:50 PM
Amazing!

A highly engaging clicker (!) that's nearly impossible to lay down!

Now I've seen it all

Absolutely amazing work Frank

My evening me thanks you for bringing this great game to mobile, my morning me will curse at myself for thinking "to just try this game out for a few minutes" ... 2 hours ago
11-14-2017, 07:47 PM
Thanks! Glad you like it!
11-14-2017, 09:33 PM
Today is gonna be the most unproductive working days in my life LOL
Thanks for creating this monstrous clicker frank
11-15-2017, 01:27 AM
Frank, what hath thou wrought?!

I just want you to know that I shared the browser version with a bunch of my colleagues, and next thing I knew I had a gaggle of theater, philosophy, history, religion and econ professors a) totally addicted and playing obsessively and b) arguing endlessly about it while trading strategies and hints.

I can't wait to tell them it's on mobile THANK YOU!
11-15-2017, 01:35 AM
dafyddmeurig, that's exactly what I'm in this for. Thank you!
11-15-2017, 09:59 AM
Run in background?

First off, the browser game is fantastic, and I'm delighted to see an official port of it. (There were several lousy clones put out ahead of this, and other people profiting off this original idea without the originators getting credit and cash really annoys me.)

That said, one major problem with the iOS version is that it does not seem to run if the app is not active. Given that the browser game can run in a background window, and that the game as some stretches that do not require any user input, running in the background (or, more accurately, advancing progress when the app is restarted) seems like a necessary feature.

(There is also an annoying aesthetic issue -- when the paperclip counter value gets large enough, it wraps on the screen, which looks very strange.)

Might we see updates in the future that look at these issues?
11-15-2017, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMarenghi View Post

That said, one major problem with the iOS version is that it does not seem to run if the app is not active. Given that the browser game can run in a background window, and that the game as some stretches that do not require any user input, running in the background (or, more accurately, advancing progress when the app is restarted) seems like a necessary feature.
I wonder if Background App Refresh has anything to do with that. Could you see if you have it turned on in the 'General' in settings?