GameClub Mage Gauntlet (by Rocketcat Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Rain1dog

Rain1dog Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    This game is truly amazing. It's one of the 3-5 five games made throughout the year of the thousands that is perfect. It could be a platform seller. Great controls, great graphics, great sound, awesome gameplay, levels, spells, weapons that proc.... Awesomesauce!

I bought all the IAP to support you guys.... Great work!

2. Prhaber

Prhaber Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Just found that worked for me as well! Feels a bit like cheating but you can just run through the level without fighting - picking up 1 spell on the way - and the enemies can't catch up. The best solution til the update adds some more spells!

3. SirDarkened

SirDarkened Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    I posted couple pages back (pg 42-43) about how Open Feint glitches and stuff about gamecenter.

4. UmbraVir

UmbraVir Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Student
    CT
    Bought it at the day of release and am thoroughly enjoying the game.

As first, I admit, I was a bit skeptical about the game as at first I thought the game was supposed to be mainly an RPG type game.

As I progressed through the game though I started to realize that Mage Gauntlet was supposed to lean more towards an arcade style than anything. The three lives system + the stars system according to lives is an extremely good idea. It keeps me coming back for more, trying to complete the game perfectly(OCD freak here :D). I wasn't a big fan of Zelda, but I must say that this game reminds me a lot of it.

On the other end of the coin though, I have to complain about the controls a little. I have gotten through maybe two to three hours and still have not fully gotten used to the controls. I don't exactly like the pro or the analog, I prefer the d-pad, but the one implemented in the game is way too large. If I want move right, I have to slide my thumb about 2 centimeters(which is a lot in respects to my iPhone's screen).

I hope that future updates include the option to change the location and size of the dpad.

Other than that, the game is amazing :)

5. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Oh yeah, I answered way back. We're just taking OpenFeint out. Then we're adding an in-game achievement browser that will work whether you have gamecenter on or not. We actually submitted this update on Wednesday, waiting for a response from Apple.

6. Trysis3

Trysis3 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    @kepa is it possible to have the option to download extra stuff to the game after installing it (more animations ,higher res gfx etc...) like fragger !!?
    to keep game size low ??

7. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Kind of? The problems are numerous: It costs server money to do that, time in which we'd have to design new art for absolutely everything, I don't know how many people would actually use it or even care. Fragger did it, but we have a hell of a lot more art assets than Fragger did.

Finally, I like the art style of the game, and it will almost certainly be like this for sequels/spin-offs. Different games we do will probably have a more high-res art style, though. Still pixely of course, just higher res.

Glad you asked this here so I didn't have to figure out how to cram this into twitter, by the way.

8. WooHooII

WooHooII Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Am I missing something in the Master Mode safehouse sidequest? I was expecting to at least find an exploration achievement room or something, especially after the elaborately hidden passage full of demons. Perhaps I'm supposed to take the note there as a clue to where to look?

Anyway, I have playing this game obsessively since its release. I just got all the boss hats; now I'm going for three stars in everything. Only two more levels in story and about 15 in master left.

9. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Whoa, way to go! The note and curse-skull chest after the note is the end of the questline. You should have gotten an exploration achievement for finding all his notes. If not, there's a bug.

How'd you kill all those demons?

10. WooHooII

WooHooII Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    With the crystal staff. The cursed skull seems cool, but the Arcane Heart kind of makes all other trinkets obsolete (except for the Phoenix Feather, which is even better but costs money).

I read all the notes in the safehouses in the garden, the boarlands, the forest, Tetramont's area, the undergarden, the crypt, and the bunker. Since they specifically said that there were none in the slime areas and the volcano, I'm thinking it is indeed bugged, but I'll try to read them all again just to be sure. I think the test tube area in the slime cave is also bugged, since it didn't give me or my brother an achievement.

14 more 3-stars to go.

11. littlezoe

littlezoe Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Lucid Dreamer
    In your dreams
    That's nice to hear. I was worrying about your guys taking out Openfeint as i don't have a constant internet connection, so GameCenter is not good for me.

But a built in achievement browser sounds like a nice idea :)

12. ikemike

ikemike Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Chicago
    How often does the Inferno Blade cause the explosion?

13. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Roughly 6-7% of the time, same as the crystal staff. Though it's slightly more complex than that.

14. UmbraVir

Sep 4, 2011
    Student
    CT
    So uhh.. Any upcoming updates with changes to control? Anybody know?

15. DahakaJR

DahakaJR Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2010
    I drive trains, Locomotive Engineer.
    Pacific Northwest.
    There are 3 ways to control as is? What specificly do you seek?

16. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    I hope not! These are some of the best controls I have encountered on an iOS game! With plenty of choices to boot!

17. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    #537 Kepa, Oct 23, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah, not sure when though, because what people really want is a way to resize /reposition the elements both ways. That'll take longer.

EDIT: He wanted a way to resize the D-Pad, specifically.

18. DahakaJR

DahakaJR Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2010
    I drive trains, Locomotive Engineer.
    Pacific Northwest.
    Honestly, resizing the D-Pad would be a pretty slick option...

19. UmbraVir

Sep 4, 2011
    Student
    CT
    Ok thanks. Will be waiting for the update :)

But yes, I agree with others that the control schemes provided are very nice, but it's probably a minority who have problems with not being able to use a smaller d-pad(I've just gotten used to it so much is all).

20. nobius

nobius Active Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Is the IAP fire sword the best equipment in the game? I wish equipment said how good they were so you know when one is better than another.