Tower Defense, best?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by magihiro, Jul 4, 2009.

1. magihiro

magihiro Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Looking for a really enjoyable Tower Defense game. I've got StarDefense, The Creeps, and Sentinel, but I'm looking for something better. Any suggestions of a really good TD? Is Fieldrunners as good as everyone makes it out to be, that I'll get a lot of play from it?

2. dominator246

dominator246 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Nice I've got all those, if you want a little more yes, definitely get Fieldrunners it's well worth it. 7 Cities is also good. Tap Defense is free but more slow paced than the rest.

3. Chapperz :D

Chapperz :D Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    England
    wait to to see how towers of war is

4. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    FR bored me to tears. It's the best looking as far as 2D TD's go.
    GeoDefense is good. It's really hard, and more of a puzzler, as there is often only 1 way to win, and you need to use a bit of trail and error to work out which way is right. Very polished.

5. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

SweetWater Defense is good (and 3D!). :) There's alsow a lite version.

Fieldrunners is a good TD, too

6. dhustead

dhustead Active Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    That is a tough call, I think I have most of the TD games on the platform. I am currently hooked on Star Defense Challenge modes, thanks to NGmoco:) and their plus+(nick: dhustead) The Creeps would be my second favorite, great graphics, challenging levels. I was not sold with Fieldrunners, although I can see the appeal. I prefer fixed path TD games, instead of the build your own path. To each their own though. Defender Chronicles is a fresh take on the genre as well, may be worth a look for you. Come on Towers of War, best of both worlds!

7. organerito

organerito Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    I have most of the TD games. There are may good ones. The ones I have played the most are Fieldrunners, Besiegement, Sentinel, Sentinel 2, Defender Chronicles and Tower Madness. I think DC takes the longest to finish.

8. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

Defender chronicles is the best I have played. So much better and different to the others

9. dominator246

dominator246 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Zombie Attack is a pretty cool TD, I believe it's only .99

10. asianness

asianness Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2009
    I like The Creeps and the fixed path TD

What are other good games like that?

11. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    FieldRunners is Good... only if You want to better your High Score though...
    I love the Look of INKoming! & has a difference to the gameplay too.
    You could also check Garden Wars

12. beachmusic

beachmusic Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2009
    For me its hands down Star Defense! The 3d graphics is the most impresive plus the plus+ integration gives it limitless replay value

13. bghoward

bghoward Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Game Developer
    Austin, TX
    You should check out Dungeon Defense too (although I'll admit I'm biased).

Check it out: iTunes Link

14. Combzzz

Combzzz Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2009
    DEFENDER CHRONICLES! its a new towerdefense based game but it also has a kinda story mode type thing to it and its different from every tower defense game
    this and field runners are my best 2 tower defense games and the only ones that kept a spot on my phone
    u wont regret defender croniclos at allband field runners is great

15. FilthyCanadian

FilthyCanadian Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    Star Defense, Defender chronicles,

16. Man of Mystery

Man of Mystery Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2008
    texas
    geodefense has only been mentioned once which is crazy

geodefense

fieldrunners has a lot of play time if you think watching a screen counts as play time

17. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Co-owner and CTO at Color Monkey
    Sweden
    #17 Anders, Jul 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
    Best: geoDefense
    Good: Fieldrunners, Creeps, Defender Chronicles

18. Albo

Albo Member

May 8, 2009
    You already own my personal favorite, The Creeps, and StarDefense, and Sentinel/Sentinel 2 are fairly decent.

As for the rest,

Dungeon Defense is pretty decent, although it is kind of short, as there are only 3 levels and 3 towers (at least since I last checked, I haven't updated it in a while).

Fieldrunners is alright, but I don't think it is as amazing as some claim it to be. It does have a decent free path system though and will keep you busy for a while.

Defender Chronicles is cool, very unique, and has a sort of RPG element to it. It can be very challenging, and has a decent variety of towers and cool upgrade system (your towers are basically unit spawners, and upgrading increases damage and the number of units spawned at once).

Zombie Attack! is alright for $0.99, but it is very short (a game lasts about 5 minutes or less, and each game is basically the same) but it is unique and pretty fun in short bursts.

I never got into 7 Cities, but a lot liked it (Same with Sweetwater Defense, although it is less popular). 7 Cities has a decent upgrading system similar to a skill tree.

Tower Madness is 3D and has decent gameplay, but it isn't really the best TD. It does have downloadable levels though, and a decent variety of towers.

Geodefense is very challenging, and, as someone mentioned, somewhat puzzle-like due to the limited number of ways to win (it is extremely placement/speed reliant).

Crystal Defenders is alright, but very standard and not too unique, although it has a Final Fantasy theme if that appeals, and it is fairly long. It also uses units instead of towers, which is refreshing visually.

Elemental Monsters is decent and combines a card system with the Tower Defense genre, but I personally find the game very limited because there are pretty much the same few cards just repeated in every element, so it really does not have as much variety as I initially thought it would. It is definitely recommended by many though.

Besiegement is pretty long and has both a free path system as well as a fixed path system for variety, although I personally never got into it (again, many recommend it though).

INKoming! has very different gameplay (based on ink and colors), but I didn't enjoy this one, although some did.

There are also a bunch of others that I never got around to playing (and don't seem very popular), like Dragon Defense, Tribal Trouble, Retro Defense, SG Tower Defense, TapDefense (free), Port Defender, Hextop, Touch Defense, Defense Station Touchable, TowerDefend, Garden Defense, Tower Defence, Kill All Bugs!, iDefend, Mote-M, Circuit Defenders, Galactic Invasion, Antivirus, Free Towers, iTD, and Last Portal (among others, this list just shows that there are tons of Tower Defense games out there in the App Store that most have never heard of). Buying one of these may be alright and suit you if you're lucky, but I haven't seen many people on these forums talk about them, so I honestly have no idea whether or not they are worth it to buy (I would stick with one of the more popular ones).

19. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

I'll probably never say positive things about Geo-defense since the app decided to bump back to $3.99 just a few hours before I decided to buy it for $0.99.
    I bought Fieldrunners, and it's so-so. Graphics are pretty good (though just average really, but being compared to other ones it's pretty good), the sound effects are really cute, but it's very slow paced like mentioned before. It's either really really easy or insanely hard depending on how you played for the first couple of rounds. It's also 100 rounds, which gets a bit boring since the first 50 rounds do not have fast forward (seriously this is really really annoying).

20. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

thats just stupid. Maybe if the game wasnt great but something as good as geodefense thats ridicolous. Its not the devs, apples or the app (wtf???) fault that you didnt buy it sooner.

And the slow is only there the first time you play it. Once you get fast forward, its always there. And getting it the first time on easy is not that hard.