Serious question about the state of RPGs in mobile gaming.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Montanx, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    #1 Montanx, Dec 3, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
    I have a few thoughts but let me start with the actual question. Why must I just accept that JRPGs as good as FF4-5-6, chrono trigger etc are just not going to be made often or ever again?

Mobile gaming capability has come a long way. Those old school JRPGs that are universally beloved are decades old now. FF Dimensions was the breath of fresh air that I had been waiting for. Why can't more like that be made? Sure they try and we get things like Chaos Rings and Kemco but they just aren't the same. These games are not as expensive to make as big AAA titles. Is it too much to ask that we get games as good as FF6 or even Suikoden 2? Is it simply because the genius of those developers and storytellers can't be matched and we were lucky to have them when we did? How can 20 years go by without the magic of Final Fantasy 6 or Chrono trigger being matched or far exceeded?

2. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Good question.

3. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    As someone who owns every FF and DQ game in the App Store I agree but it comes down to this. This is my opinion based solely on observation. If you think about it those games involve story archs, character building reputations etc and today's developers are just too lazy to do it. What is classified as RPG now on App Store is anything that involves leveling up characters and that has become the way to force their greedy IAP. F$$k a story we just want you to focus on the character leveling and there is also multiplayer so now you will get your character destroyed if you can't level up as fast as Mr Whale who spent 100$ just to get his character to a crazy high level. This is what has become of our beloved genre. This country is a great model in itself for how greed ruins everything so now it's filtered it's nasty claws into gaming and sadly enough the best most cherished genre of gaming in my opinion.
    Now having said all that we can only hope the trend dies off. By the way I live in USA where greed is the motus operandi of the day.

4. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    Also the closest thing to Chrono Trigger I have found is a legit JRPG style game called Dragon Fantasy II. If you don't have it I highly reccomend it! Also wish we get another chrono trigger a new one for mobile from square that would be cool and I would be willing to pay anything for it :)

5. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    I'm thinking that I'm simply asking too much. Is Saying "why can't there be another FF6" like saying "why can't we have another Mozart or Michael Jackson etc"?

I just can't help but think they could be churning out 16bit RPGs and they would sell well. FF dimensions was the step in the right direction. I want more like that.

6. SimonMagus

SimonMagus Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2015
    There is no Dragon Fantasy ll in the app store.. I suppose you are talking about a different platform.

7. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Here.
    „Dragon Fantasy: The Black Tome of Ice“ von The Muteki Corporation
    https://appsto.re/de/AHSQ-.i

Aldo, Lunar Silver Star Story is very Chrono-Trigger-y.
    „Lunar Silver Star Story Touch“ von SoMoGa, Inc.
    https://appsto.re/de/umhxD.i

8. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Here.
    „Dragon Fantasy: The Black Tome of Ice“ von The Muteki Corporation
    https://appsto.re/de/AHSQ-.i

Aldo, Lunar Silver Star Story is very very Chrono-Trigger-y.
    „Lunar Silver Star Story Touch“ von SoMoGa, Inc.
    https://appsto.re/de/umhxD.i

9. elthesensai

elthesensai Member

Nov 13, 2012
    #9 elthesensai, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    Serious question about the state of RPGs in mobile gaming.

The genre is pretty much dead. The classic games you mention came out at the perfect time and made their mark. Developers in Japan are having trouble getting their games recognized and the JRPG is no different. Sure NIS, Square Enix, among other small publishers are still coming out with games but it's a very small niche. There are many articles on the net you can read about the death of JRPG. best console to have for them seem to be PlayStations. As far as mobile is concern I don't see them taking off on here. Developers make more money on free to play than they do on big budget titles. I see so many people scuff at $14.99 games for developers to ever make mobile anything but free to play. Oh and some would argue that JRPGs never died but has evolved.
    http://kotaku.com/please-stop-asking-if-jrpgs-are-making-a-comeback-1567719519

10. baldeagle86

baldeagle86 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Money.

It's easier to make a shallow F2P timer game than spend the time/effort. I have nothing against F2P games, except they are hindering the games you're looking for from seeing the light of day.