Ravensword DLC

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by JoshCM, Dec 10, 2009.

1. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    I just want to get your opinions on whether we should add DLC to Ravensword.
    We've just released an update that had quite a few fixes and some new stuff in it, but I was thinking about DLC as a way to get some "cheats" into the game.

Level ups, Gold, Tons of blast arrows, etc. We're obviously working hard on the expansion now, which is another game. People seem to like things like the Amulet of Mana, where you have unlimited magic power.
    Any thoughts on this?

2. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    I personally wouldn't buy them, less fun.

3. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    I would spend a lot more for Ravensword. It's one of the best indie games on the idevices and one of my favorite games in general. So, no problem for me.

EDIT: I was faster writing than reading...
    No, I would pay for extra content, but i'm not interested in paying for cheats. I wanna level up myself...

4. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    No cheats!! More places! More quests! More equipment. I don't care if you give it stats or not, just more!

5. debtOFskittles

debtOFskittles Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    It may cheapen the feel of the game a little bit... and I personally would want actually CONTENT for dlc, not extra blast arrows (already having a billion) - you might make a few extra dollars, but if you were going to add dlc, you should add new content that would make people feel that their money was worthwhile.

6. Noah

Noah Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Male
    Development Manager
    Atlanta, GA
    I have no doubt you'd sell some of the items you mentioned, but paying for cheats really cheapens the game for me personally.

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I don't think this is a good idea, Josh. Check out the Seed thread for a preview of the likely reception. I'll PM you in a bit.

8. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    ok - just curious. Adding weapons and new things to the old game will just slow the expansion down, so I'm not sure we'd want to do that.
    Thanks for the opinions on it. :)

9. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    That's fine, put all the "new stuff", in the expansion and charge some $$. I just want more stuff.

10. dashzed

dashzed Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    I actually would totally pay for an add-on pack for this game, but only if it were a new area or something. I guessing might as well just buy the expansion tho.

So will the expansion have all the content of the original?

11. gelas_plastik

gelas_plastik Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    #11 gelas_plastik, Dec 10, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
    ravensword is great game as it is, but yet I still think that it is still incomplete especially on the rpg part .. I mean helmet and couple of shoulder armor as the a part upgrades that you can apply to your character give me a feeling that I'm playing a lite version of actual game .. to be frank, i would expect that to be addresses as free update instead of DLC ..

I wouldn't mind to pay for a full blown expansion to the game universe (new map, new quest, new functionality - adding more depth to character development, in other words, it's Ravensword 2), even at premium price .. but if I were to pay, let say to add more items in the shop, to add cheat etc .. I'm sorry to say this, but I think I'll feel cheated instead ..

12. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    ok don't worry - we won't add cheats :)

13. dashzed

dashzed Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    so will the expansion include all the original content or all new?

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    It's a sequel, so I would expect that it wouldn't include the previous game for free.

15. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    there might be some tidbits of old in there, just not sure how much yet - mostly new stuff though. :)

16. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

DLC? For the original? NO!
    For the expansion? Maybe!

my comment. ;)

17. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    +1 to that. I am very much against cheating across the board. DLC I would be interested in would most likely be expansions. Optional to carry on your existing character and/or create a new file all together (see Monster Hunter Freedom series for PSP)

Also i don't think i would mind DLC for additional Character Classes/ be able to actually change your characters looks unless it will be offered in an expansion.

18. itman

itman Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2009
    A mage class could be DLC.

19. Scottlarsen

Scottlarsen Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Keep working on the expansion. Ravensword was very good as an appetite wetter. The expansion is where you could take what you have learned and hit your homerun.

20. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Well, the "expansion" is actually a separate game. Which I'm fine with, BTW, I think Ravensword is a great game as is and has already had quite a bit added to it. But I would be curious to know what their plans are concerning any more updates to the current game, whether DLC or not.