TA's OFFICIAL GotY List Discussion

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by defred34, Dec 21, 2012.

1. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Ok, so TA just announced their top games of the year. Long story short:

Winner: Waking Mars
    Runner Up: 1000000 (I hope I got the correct number of 0s)
    Consolation: Devil's Attorney, Super Hexagon, The Room

What do you guys make of the list? Personally, I thought Waking Mars was a good title, but I'd really rate it 4/5. It is different, unique and polished, but really...there was something lacking in the core gameplay. I found it to be too slow for my liking.

I never played the runner-up. Devil's Attorney....I can understand it being on the list. Extremely fun, creative and loads of cheap humour. Super Hexagon too, surely deserves to be on that list.

So, is this a good GotY list, or a little poor from the guys running the show around here?

2. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Guess they aren't counting ports...

And even then there are a plethora of better titles than Waling Mars, IMO it's a very niche genre. And praising it for being "non violent" — guess we should give points to racers and sims for being nonviolent, too.

3. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Clearly depends on the taste of the guys at TA. I completely disagree with the GotY list though.

4. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Never played 10 millions, The Room or Devils Attorney, but I can see why they picked Waking Mars and Super Hexagon. The first for being something else, a gaming great experience and the second for the satisfaction it gives each time you best yourself.

5. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I can see where they picked Waking Mars and Super Hexagon, even though WM won't be my GoTY. 10000000 is a fun game but really don't think it's GoTY material. And, well, haven't played The Room so can't say much about it.

6. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Not really my type of games, but I do respect them for picking iOS originals. Also a bit surprised Devil's Attorney made it in there. I loved the game as well but it hasn't gotten much attention in these forums.

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Their choices are great titles, but i wont choose them as my GotY, mainly because these arent the titles that gave me the most enjoyable and immersive gaming experience for this year's iOS gaming.

Also, titles like Super Hexagon, despite being really good, are not even slightly considered to be a part of my GotY. When i make my GotY, i have my own criteria and rating system which goes something like this: Graphics, Sounds, Appeal, Polish, Immersiveness, Atmosphere, Content, Variety, Gameplay, the amount of time i spent in them, and the satisfaction i got when playing the games. I do not consider who the devs are, the IAP models or the pricing for my choices.

This means one-trick ponies like Super Hexagon, wont be a part of my list, unless i found them to be absorbing my thoughts and time into it when i play.

In the same boat does Devil's Attorney ride for me. I definitely loved Devil's Attorney, but so did i games like Saturday Morning RPG, Cthulhu Saves the World and TWEWY which i find to be similar because of the RPG battles, and a involve a bit of completing a collection. The latter titles just offered so much more in terms of depth, story, and gameplay elements... and im not considering the fact that one of them is a port, or that it is from a huge company.

10000000 is also a fantastic title, and is definitely one of the best games on the iOS for me, but i have my sights else where for GotY titles, although this may have made the cut easily if I had more reason to play it after i was done.

Waking Mars... This one was considered to be a part of my nominations. The game is totally immersive at what it does, offers a great deal of exploration, totally great presentation, can easily be played by anyone, and took me into it's world rom the first time i saw it to the time i finished it. It wont be my personal pick for GotY, but i definitely understand why it can be a good choice for one.

8. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Interesting picks. Glad to see 10000000 up there though! I'm sure TA will have another article or two for staff favorites and best of genres soon anyways.

9. SamF1sh

SamF1sh Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    New Zealand
    I'm honestly disappointed with the selection this year it seems like it has to be non-violent and a puzzle game to win. Can we have a forums pick of the year please?

10. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    #10 DannyTheElite, Dec 21, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
    Mine would have been
    Winner - Minigore 2 : Zombies
    Runner Up - NFS : MW
    Honourable mentions : Fifa 13,RR2,cubed rally redline
    On the TA picks I say
    Super Hexagon - this is a great way of breaking your iPod it's that frustrating
    1000000-once you get the score it gets boring
    The Room - doesn't work on my iPod
    Devils attorney - never got round to buying this.
    Waking mars???- never heard of it.

11. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    There were so many outstanding releases that picking just a handful strikes me as pretty arbitrary. Given that, I think TA's list is pretty good. I have played 4 of the 5 games (I have not played Devil's Attorney), and enjoyed those four. I would not include Super Hexagon anywhere in my list for precisely the reasons put forth by Exact-Psience and the fact that it was a bit too hardcore for me. Of TA's list, my favorite was 10000000.

My general preference would be for TA to list perhaps the 25 best games, and broken out by genre. In any case, I found many many games IOS games released on 2012 to be fantastic. It was a great year to be an IOS gamer!

12. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

#12 Eli, Dec 21, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012