OpenGL 2.0 question.

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by dreadwench, Jan 27, 2011.

1. dreadwench

dreadwench Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2011
    We've written an application using the opengles 2.0 libraries but have since found that there are still a lot of people using older devices that do not have the ability to run these apps. Has anyone had any experience backporting a gles2.0 game back to 1.0? How much effort is involved and is there any documentation on this particular issue?

2. Golden Hammer

Golden Hammer Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Indie Game Developer
    Boston
    I wrote up a post a while back about converting from ES1 to ES2. It's not perfectly what you are asking for, but maybe you can apply it in reverse. It has a chunk of code in it that lets you initialize a 2.0 renderer on devices that allow it and a 1.0 renderer otherwise.

http://goldenhammersoftware.blogspot.com/2010/10/converting-from-opengl-es1-to-es2-on.html

For materials I basically describe a fixed function version, and specify a vertex and pixel shader. My 1.0 renderer ignores the vertex and pixel shader, and my 2.0 renderer ignores a lot of the fixed function stuff in the file. It's not perfect, but it's working for me.

A lot of effects you can create in ES2 can't be recreated in ES1, at least not without heavy performance cost. You'll have to start basic and figure out what effects from your ES2 game to try to simulate.

3. dreadwench

dreadwench Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2011