suggestion to reduce code stealing

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by lunarbase, Jun 25, 2010.

1. lunarbase

lunarbase Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Hi,

I am a developer and I constantly post promo codes for my apps. Generally codes don't last long and people grabbing these codes never thank or acknowledge the codes they grabbed. Probably people reaching the forum from google, that are not even registered on touchArcade.

Here is my suggestion that can prevent this and, at least, force people to register.

Create a tag or marker that we can use to wrap promo codes or other informations we want to make invisible and let the parser remove what is wrapped in this tag from what is seen without log in.

what do you guys think?

2. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    My opinion is that there are a million threads debating this. And it pretty much boils down to the same conclusion - there is NO right answer yet many will be suggested.

It's up to you the developer to distribute the codes how you want. If you don't want people just taking the codes then you can ask the first however many codes you have people to PM you and then they must be members. Not only that, you will know who got your codes and you can follow up with them for reviews or posts.

3. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    It is a tad harsh to call it stealing since you gave the codes away to whoever [whomever?] wanted them. Also, in business, you have to realize that your potential customers (by and large) will perceive "free" as "worthless." I have seen some devs distribute codes to winners of trivia contests. This insures the codes go to members. They have to work for it so it has value. The trivia is itself a game and that generates more interest. The thread will likely stay in regular rotation on the front page for a lot longer. In short; use your creativity.

4. Myrobotwillneverdie

Myrobotwillneverdie Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    SEPDX
    Well said! ;)

5. marco76

marco76 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Verona - Italy
    ..force people to register and in my opinion also by PM from the dev

6. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Am Glad to hear this from a Dev's mouth!
    Phew...

On anothr note starjimstar is a clever one & knows how to puts things across whr PpL start THINKING about it

7. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    upload codes in a text file.

[/thread]

8. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Why isn't this thread either moved into the other worthless pile of crap we call "Lurkers beware"?

9. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    ImNoSuperMan... someone is questioning you :rolleyes:

@ImNoSuperMan, we all do not have access to iTunes everywhere
    iKno we can redeem it right from the iDevices, but there are PpL like me who have an ipod touch, office does not allow iTunes store access (ports blocked?)
    No iTunes on the pc....
    On the other hand, PM is an assurance that the a code is MINE & cannot be taken away by anyone else (until the devs. give the same one to someone else accidentally or purposely)

10. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    He was looking for a specific solution and wanted new tags to be added to the forums for it. I simply pointed out he can already do the exact same thing by just uploading the codes in a text files. Non members cant download any attachments unless they log in. No new tags/marker are required.

He didnt ask for the best way to giveaway codes. I which case I'd agree, PM'ing the codes (either first come first serve / randomly selected members /or some sort of contest winners) is the best way a dev can give away his codes and have a chance at getting the maximum feedback possible.

PM, trivia contest were already mentioned by NEG, Starjim, so there was no point in re-suggesting the same thing, especially when he didnt even ask for it in the first place :)
    Coz it was created by a dev. He's gving away codes. Not by someone who's just pissed coz he cant get free games. Dont think I saw any other such thread created by the dev in quite some time. So decided to leave it alone.

11. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    I now See that you were suggesting a .txt file instead of adding tags.
    :)

12. Fletch11

Fletch11 Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2010
    Just tell people to PM you. And the first amount of people who PM you get the codes.

13. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head

This...:cool:

14. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

OH FOR GOD'S SAKE WHAT'S WRONG WITH LURKERS?
    dudes, does making an account make you so much more aweome and 'deserve' to get the promo codes? (ignore that...)

15. 10 codes, 100 pm's...

16. heman

heman Well-Known Member

May 13, 2010
    heres an idea MAKE IT A MEMBER ONLY...wat every you call it

17. swishinj

swishinj Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    CEO at Apple Inc.
    #17 swishinj, Jun 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
    or we can just make the thread locked to members only, I really don't care either way, i do perfer PMs though.
    All of the complaints about this, you would think arn would have done something or said why they let it be open to lurkers :confused::rolleyes:
    oh, and PS, why are there no more TA podcasts!?!

18. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I find it strange that these threads get shot down so quickly seemingly without any attempt at even trying some of the ideas. They may not work perfectly, but some of them would sure help the situation at least a small amount. I mean seriously, we've sent people into space, mastered the art of wireless communication and created synthetic life, and now apparently we totally unable to stop random people lurking codes from a forum? You're just not trying.

19. swishinj

swishinj Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    CEO at Apple Inc.
    Yes, i agree, i mean at least arn or imnosuperman should speak up about why lurkers are allowed promos! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

20. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    look at timestamps? i'm sure you won't get 100 PMs in 60 seconds.