Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-24-2014, 03:08 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeKhan View Post
I am loving this game!
The art is great. Loving the tactical element of the raids. Really fun so far! Earning plenty of currency just by playing.

I don't understand the hate for free games. If it is done right, what's the problem? Tiny Tower for example.
If you don't like it just delete it. If you do like it , throw the dev's some cash so they can feed their kids. There are many "premium" games that are garbage, yet you had to pay for them. There are many freemium games that are just cash grabs, just delete them.
In the end, it is less about the payment model and more about the developers. I support good developers, and that includes many point on the spectrum between free and paid.
I agree, i dont like freemium much but like you say i've bought many games over the years which are premium and are rubbish, do i then sulk and say 'i'll never buy any premium games again ?' - nope.

One major reason why smaller devs go freemium is to make money, how many times have we seen here some dev talk about he only had 13 sales in the first week etc ? You cant blame them. You buy their games and i doubt as many go freemium, but theres too many 'i need 78 reviews to read before i decide to spend a dollar...' views.

Anyway as for this game i'll give it a go shortly, like the look of the graphics, oh oh hold on ! 'A network connection is required to play' - Okay thats why i'm out then !
Old 01-24-2014, 03:13 PM

I've managed to get myself stuck pretty early on. You get a timed quest to get more wood to build your second house. I did that quest, set the house building, then went to sleep. When I woke up the house and the wood were gone, and of course the mission had timed out. I can't do the next quest because I need to have trained the 2nd archer, and I can't repeat old quests to get wood. I may have to delete and restart
Old 01-24-2014, 04:08 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

This is actually a pretty unique and fun game. Especially for a free to play game. I really like and appreciate the approach on design this developer took. Between building your tree fortress there are battles in which you control your units. It's a nice change for sure. I haven't noticed any timers other than ones where you have a limited amount of time to complete a mission, not the type that keeps you from playing which I hate.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:42 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotDamn View Post
... I'd like to think as iOS gaming becomes more mainstream, consumers will become tired of the freemium model that made King and Supercell filthy rich.

There are still plenty of premium games that come out...
Probably not a discussion for this thread, but the essence of the problem is Apple themselves. Every app only gets 7 or 8 days MAXIMUM of decent visibility in the store and that's where most users find their games. The majority of people don't use sites like TA hunting for the next and best games. They see what Apple shows them and the chart positions are engineered such that it's almost impossible for developers to keep their game in a visible position for more than a week no matter how much they spent on developing it unless they spend a boat load of cash on user acquisition through other means to keep downloads going and extend their stay high in the charts.

Supercell and the like of course can afford these shenanigans but most devs can't. And downloads of paid apps are less to a factor of probably at least 50 or much more in most cases, like 200 or 300 x less. Everyone that REALLY wants a paid app will get it pretty soon after release, so downloads will tail off rapidly and discoverability ... gone!

The flip side is that the paid charts are a bit more stable because the download numbers don't fluctuate so rapidly, so the same app tends to stay up longer but even then after 2 weeks you are gone.

The only way out IMO is if Apple change their ranking system to take into account the QUALITY of games as rated by players over a longer period but seems the star rating a game gets has much less (if any) weight in the rankings.

So it's hard and risky to make an expensive to develop game knowing it has just a small window of global opportunity unless they spend loads of effort and money on marketing as well.

I'm sure we will keep seeing niche titles as paid because as said above the loyal fans that are looking forward to it before launch will all grab it and they get the bulk of potential customers in the first week but the drop off is really scary after that!

The free route gets developers more players which drives more visibility and more players etc quickly (quickly being the key coz you need them in the first few days to make the most of your week of "new game" boost Apple applies to rankings).

I think a lot of people would be surprised to know how little the top of paid actually makes in income. They may be top 10 but that is not millions of downloads for sure. Maybe just a few thousand / tens of thousands.

Last edited by Baracus; 01-24-2014 at 07:48 PM..
Old 01-24-2014, 07:57 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baracus View Post
Mate, I have to say you are on a losing battle! Paid apps are dead in terms of number of downloads these days so this is the only way it's going to go. You are going to miss out on a hell of a lot of games if you don't ever want to budge from your stance. I totally know where you are coming from but surely for your hobby, if you can enjoy a game, it's worth putting a bit of cash in?

And hey it's free to try and get a feel for if it fits with what you deem reasonable for the amount of entertainment you might get from it. In this case it can't be as bad a sink as one of those lame MMO's so you should be OK
I totally understand your point and perhaps you are right, but I will stick to my principles and my promise to myself and avoid freemium games ..even if it means missing out on a really good game, so be it.

I'm sure there will be a few good premium games out this year.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:13 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mene View Post
I totally understand your point and perhaps you are right, but I will stick to my principles and my promise to myself and avoid freemium games ..even if it means missing out on a really good game, so be it.

I'm sure there will be a few good premium games out this year.
By "freemium" you also mean free games with a single unlock (like a demo) or DLC approach or just ones with consumables and the need to keep buying "gems" or whatever?

I'll tell you a little shameful secret of mine. That Assassins Creed Recollection TCG last year right? That was paid (then went free) and I spent an extra 150 on 'virtual card booster packs' in that game! Crazy I know. And I stopped. But I didn't see that as freemium really. I had immense fun playing it. Was totally addicted hence spending that much, but looking back on it I don't regret it one bit. I spent hours and hours on that game. At least a few games every day and pretty much all weekend for months!! So for half a days wages it's a fine trade off for me.

What I don't agree with and won't ever play are the blatant games that force you to stop or grind or remind you at every step that you should be upgrading or buying something and there is this special "time limited" offer on for this massive pack of sh#t!! If the game is quality and fun I can make my own mind up how I progress thank you very much!

But yea I'd be much happier spending 10 or 20 on a full game! "Free" won't stop me assessing games I think might be fun tho - if anything it makes it easier.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:47 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Has anyone found out how to rescue more villagers? I'm stuck where I can't do the quest to get the third hero because I don't have enough villagers.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:04 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzrick View Post
Has anyone found out how to rescue more villagers? I'm stuck where I can't do the quest to get the third hero because I don't have enough villagers.
Keep doing side quests it will come eventually
Old 02-05-2014, 03:49 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Does anyone know when this will release in the US? Looks like something that I would like to try.