iOS as a 'hardcore' gaming platform?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by xXHackzXx, Oct 5, 2013.

1. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran
    iOS is a gaming console even before new 5S,Have you noticed Sony and Nintendo made touch screen devices such as PSP VITA and Wii U against iOS? So ??? Still more touch screen games go to iOS not for those :)

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    #22 MidianGTX, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
    Then what phrase would you use? Maybe you're misunderstanding its usage?

If you can't see the difference between somebody playing complicated and lengthy games that last beyond 200 hours and somebody playing a five-minute iOS game on the bus then there's something wrong with you. One of those is definitely more casual than the other... so the other is called?

It's not supposed to be about superiority, it's just a term used to define somebody who considers gaming a serious hobby and is prepared to put considerable time and effort into it. Whether or not you like it does nothing to how effective it is as a descriptor.

Yeah but they all kinda suck for dev support. There's a good point there though, they're recognizing the market and subtly trying to enter it. Shame it's so subtle.

3. commonlogick

commonlogick New Member

Oct 9, 2013
    I consider myself a long time "hardcore gamer" - console games and even arcade games (yeah I'm dating myself here). But I've been finding myself playing more games on my iPhone and spending a good chunk of time (1-2 hours a day) playing on my iPhone.

I think it just depends on title by title where a large portion of mobile game development is spent on "snack" games... you know, games where you pick up and play for 5 minutes between bus stops, bathroom breaks, and what not. But as more developers spend a greater amount of time into making quality mobile titles where you can spend hours of gameplay, you'll get hardcore followings of those titles.

But it's weird at the same time - I know groups of friends who are hardcore CoC gamers... I mean, they'll literally bring their iPhones to the dinner table to upgrade their towns. I would consider that pretty hardcore. Yet, I don't know if I could ever call gamers who play Candy Crush for hours a day "hardcore"... tho I guess they are.

4. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    That difference I would consider different than the difference between casual and hardcore. That is to say you're using types of games to say what kind of person plays them and then--accurately--describing what a hardcore gamer is as a separate thought. The games themselves aren't that much of a determinant. Really old games are generally simple, but I wouldn't, for example, call someone who actually plays 2600 games rather than whatever the latest system is a casual gamer. A lot of what people say is casual about the popular iOS games is that they are simple. But there's a big difference between my wife playing Subway Surfers for 5 minutes once a week and me actually trying to get into the top 100. The difference is in us, not the game.

Another thing is that iOS offers a better arcade experience than other things do in this day and age. When I was a kid, home systems presented a more "casual" appeal than going to a video arcade because even people who sucked at video games could derive some sense of accomplishment from the games. So when I see how many iOS games are purely based around high scores and relatively short start->defeat sequences, the last thing that pops into my head is casual.

Game length or complexity isn't really a factor either. A lot of the people I've played MMORPGs with over the years really weren't the sort of people I'd consider standard gamers. They were often just bored people who only played a given MMORPG and that was it for them; you wouldn't generally be able to have much of a conversation with them about video games. Hardcore gamers have some permutation of patience, skill and genre-flexibility.

5. Farfield

Farfield Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Games like XCOM, Terraria, SW: KOTOR, Mutant Mudds and some others proves how many potential iOS have to be a serious gaming device.

The problem isn't the hardware or even the touchscreen. Back then maybe the touchscreen could be a real issue, but now the developers have improved those controls for being intuitive and friendly, also we have to see the embrace of the iOS 7 controllers to the market.

The real problem in my opinion is the fact of the people the App Store is getting. Many people rather Runner- Hook-up games than more elaborated games like I mention above. Free to play and freemium games have hit the regular costumers, focusing on people who wants a cheap and entertaining game.

Apple has fault too, if they would promoting those more elaborated- quality focus games, "hardcore" if you wish, the App Store would have more developers making real videogames and not just entertaining ones. Take the recent Batman Arkham Origins for example, it's the same game as Batman Arkham City Lockdown and Injustice was and the freemium factor it's still present, because the game it's just an excuse for the real deal.

Another thing and I thing this is a staying problem it's the fact Apple release devices every year, and those are unsopported by 3-4 years later (in some cases, because it may be variable).

I really see potential on iOS for being taking seriously, but a lot of things needs to change: the costumers, the developers, the market format and Apple too.