Presidential Debate

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by JBRUU, Oct 4, 2012.

1. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    The US debate between the two candidates just ended about 15 minutes ago and it was pretty darn interesting. I've been hearing quite a few theories on the subject but one fact is pretty obvious to me: Obama just wasn't as prepared as Romney was. The far bigger question, however, is this: will Romney's win have a permanent effect on the polls and ultimately the election?

2. Didn't read it since I was wasting my time here on TA, do you think Romney won the debates by a long margin over Obama?

Also, any snafus by either that will be big quotes soon?

3. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    No not by a massive margin like Clinton and Bush, but it was clear that he (Romney) was better prepared and was constantly on the attack.

No huge snafus, but the big bird quote will become a meme and Internet sensation. I really look forward to the VP debate, even though it's not very meaningful to me it will be extremely entertaining. I mean, if Obama the great speaker and communicator did poorly here, how will Biden fair? To be fair it was just obvious that Obama wasn't well prepared, but Biden is just a joke prepared or not. But then again I've never really seen much of Ryan, so we shall see.

4. Biden can be a pitbull for the democrats, so I think he will go on the attack. ryan seems more softspoken and nice guyish, so it will be interesting to see if experience rules or youth prevails for sure.

5. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Biden has made a fool out of himself far to often for me to take him seriously. Historically though, you're definitely right VPs are usually the attack machines. I hope they get into some different territory though like gay marriage and gun control. Those topics always bring out huge contrast in candidates (not that we didn't see enough just now).

6. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Sure Romney was better prepared. When you can pull anything out of your ass and claim it's fact based, making a point is pretty easy.

7. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Neither party is pushing for gun control at this point in time, so I don't see how that issue comes up. The only contrast gay marriage provides as an issue is who's the bigot.

8. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
  9. Codycat

Codycat Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Don't stalk me.
    This is what I cannot stand about these political threads, someone who criticizes a candidate with no facts to back it up.

But anyways, I was surprised with how Romney faired, however the first debate almost always goes to the person that is not the president. Romney should have pointed out more that Obama had four years to make (insert issue here) better.

10. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Actually ABC did a fact check of both canidate's major claims...turns out all of them are either false or misrepresented. And I want gay marriage and gun control brought up because they are massive social issues that are very important to me.

11. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

Of course Romney's more prepared, Obama has a little other commitment, you know, like running the country! :p

Kidding aside, it seems that Health Care and job's will be the main points of this election (much like others). That and Big Bird...

12. Codycat

Codycat Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Don't stalk me.
    I believe social issues should either be based on what each state chooses or for the federal government to deal with after the economy has settled down. I also have strong opinions on both gay marriage and gun control but I would also rather put those issues aside until the larger issues in this country are dealt with.

13. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    I don't really know who I'd say won the debate.

Romney was certainly more aggressive, but often got into arguments with/was trying to talk over Jim Leher (the moderator) and sometimes Obama. He also often looked kind of uncomfortable and shifty. The smile he had didn't seem or look genuine to me- seemed kind of forced. He also failed to explain how he was going to make his ideas work, and spent most of his time denying Obama's claims and saying what his ideas actually were.

Obama was definitely more defensive, and seemed like he was more calm and respectful towards Romney and Jim, but he seemed kind of hazy, like he didn't know what to say at times. His expression was normally neutral, but there were several moments he broke out into a big smile. He attacked Romney very few times though, and drew comparisons between them several times- maybe too many. He did explain himself much better than Romney did though.

14. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Well, the jobs report is in and really brought Romemy's celebrating down to earth. This VP debate is just going to be so entertaining. I hear Biden is training like mad for it, and Ryan is probably hitting the books and practice rounds pretty hard. If Ryan can pull this off like Romeny did, it'll be another much needed surge for the GOP. Man I love election years. All the hype, hate and spin :D

15. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Threads like these don't really belong on a gaming forum. I mean it's not my say, it's just my opinion. Give it around 15-20+ more replies and there will be a huge ass flame war/debate.

16. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    There was a marijuana legalization thread and a "what do you believe thread" previously. I see no reason why this is any different in nature.

17. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Well this was another interesting one. I think both parties will be happy with what their VPs achieved. Biden came across as energetic (maybe to much so, the constant interrupting was getting on my nerves) and probably did much to reinvigorate the democratic base, while Ryan didn't go on the offensive so much, stayed calm (impressed with how well he did on foreign policy with Biden) and caused no damage to the GOP. If anything the topic of conversation coming away from the debate is Biden's energy (and his constant attacks; he certainly played the bulldog) but there is no clear winner unlike last week's obvious Romney victory.

18. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    So can he kick his own ass?

19. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    The amount of whipping Romney is getting tonight..