Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 05-23-2014, 02:10 PM

It is entirely dumbfounding that the developer still refuses to put in a much-needed UNDO button in the game.

Shows a complete lack of insight and ignorance of a poorly designed interface that is unresponsive, prone to ignore otherwise valid touches and swipes, and utterly frustrating to use.

Is this developer even listening to the community?

Last edited by y2kmp3; 05-29-2014 at 11:48 PM..
Old 05-28-2014, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kmp3 View Post
I have been thinking about how to use the bonus "multipliers"...

Has anyone figured it out how to best use them? Do you use them always on coins at the end or on the clues in order to earn the most money?

Also, why is the game penalizing you, instead of rewarding you, for stringing multiple bonus "multipliers" together? For 2 x bonus multipliers, you get only 3x not 4x. For 3 x bonus multipliers, you get only 4x not 8x (that is 2x2x2). This is very annoying...
I use them based on whatever challenges i am trying to complete. Some have you collect a certain amount of coins in one move so I save them until the end which makes those challenges easy. Or I will use them to collect huge multipliers of specific evidence when trying to beat those challenges. The reason the bonus doesnt go from 2 to 4 when you collect another bonus is because it only multiplies what you are collecting by one for each subsequent bonus, its a singular multiplier fo each bonus collected even the first time. Its not a penalty, it just multiplies your collection by one each time instead of doubling.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:26 PM

Finally finished this game. All cases solved. 3-Stars. Took 3 months (seriously)!

Want to leave my last impression of this game for gamers who are thinking of giving this game a try...

Overall, this is a LOT to LIKE about this game. The game deserves a lot of credit for expanding the core match-3 game genre in unusual and novel ways. Disguising the assorted mini-games as a detective investigation is genuinely clever. The graphics are excellent, and the writing (of the case descriptions, for example) will bring a few chuckles to gamers who recognize the pop culture references. From this perspective, this game is superior to Puzzle Craft that was the developer's previous game.

However, there are also three major FLAWS to this game. The first is the grind. Even for a freemium game, the grind is excessive (to absurd in the last few cases). Likewise, it is unreasonable to have a timer that lasts days (not just hours) for some upgrades. It turns the game into an overly aggressive IAP pusher to buy premium currencies. The second is the severe imbalance in the early cases, in which the game does not give you enough tools and skills (usually because they are too costly to use) to negotiate the matches. This makes the game unnecessarily punishing and is a big turn-off to gamers who may otherwise be interested in this game. The third is the horrific interface. Taps and swipes would randomly fail to register, causing you to commit to an unwanted action (such as a skill) which you may not be able to recover to eventually win the case. It is dumbfounding that the game has no undo button to backtrack on the last action. Even with the propensity that it could be misused as a cheat, it would not have been necessary in the first place if the interface had actually worked correctly.

The game is definitely worth of a try, at least. As long as you are aware of the lengthy grind and interface issue (and do not get upset by them), you will have a lot of fun playing this game.

PS: While it is not needed to beat this freemium game, buying the newspaper subscription IAP is a good way to reward the developer.

Last edited by y2kmp3; 05-31-2014 at 05:35 PM..
Old 07-30-2014, 07:55 PM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

BIG UPDATE OUT:

12 new cases (new chapter) and added the other mini games into newspaper cases.
My only gripe is that this is the last update It seems like this is the final case.

I'll give my hats off to the devs as this is probably one of the best F2P games I've ever played on the app store. A new twist on the mechanic (plus new mini game ideas) and a fun story about sweets. My favorite part is the progression of your "home" which grows shiner with each thing you upgrade or buy.

@y2k: I somewhat disagree on your points. I can see the grind if you're fast rushing to beat it but the game feels like a mix between a story game and a casual play game. Without the subscription, I can see it getting frustrating because you'd have to wait to beat small cases (in order to play the story cases). However if you're playing at a casual pace and not going straight for story (I have fun just playing a match for 5 minutes), the pacing should be okay. The subscription is probably the best thing you can buy in here. At my rate, I always have full newspapers and when I get bored, I can start a story mission because I have enough newspapers complete stacked up. Again, it depends how quickly you play. I like to enjoy myself and play at a casual pace.

As for the timers on receiving item upgrades, don't mind those one bit. Those things actually make more sense than other games because they're not necessary to win, they're like bonus equips (1 free XX or extra XX). Half of them are only cosmetics. I don't mind waiting because it feels like I'm actually waiting for a delivery. The real abilities that are game changers are used with skill points and given instantly. Other F2P games give you terrible timers for upgrading weapons so you can be stuck at a level and waiting on that one weapon.