Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-15-2014, 07:03 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

I never played Across Age 1 so these imps come fresh and unbiased by the first.

You're given 3 save slots and you can save at any time when you have control over your character.

Opening cutscene is decently voiced and the visuals are undeniably gorgeous even on my iPad 2!

The story seems to be a rehash of something I've heard before but it's too early to close judgment. A tyrant king destroys a village and a local decides the only way to avert the tragedy by going back in time to defeat the king before he takes the throne. You play as Ales and Ceska that are first tasked to investigate the appearance of monsters around a beam of light on a nearby island. They then find themselves trapped in a cavern and this tutorial dungeon sets the pace for the rest of the game.

There's no auto rotate but there is a toggle to flip the screen. Across Age 2 has game pad support with button customization. For those without a controller, sadly, only the virtual d-pad can be moved up and down.

The fixed d-pad has a dead zone in the middle and does not require you to drag from the center to any of 8 directions. You can just tap on a part of the d-pad to move in that direction. It works well.

The game rather frequently stutters during exploration, mostly when I try to attack. It's annoying but still playable. I haven't tested if playing the game after a fresh restart prevents this from happening. Does this happen on newer devices?

You can alternate between the two characters by tapping on their portrait. This isn't just a gimmick. The entire game revolves around this feature. Ales can pick up Ceska and throw her to another platform to pop a switch or pick up an item. NPCs will often have something different to say depending on who you're controlling. Complex puzzles will demand you to split your team up to solve and certain enemies can only be killed by a certain character's attacks. Fortunately, experience is shared so you can stick to your favorite for the most part.

I found switching to be very buggy when rapidly switching while moving and this prevented me from switching at all until I completely let go of the screen.

Combat is quite satisfying. Skills are linked to your basic attack and consumes SP with every swing. Attacks can be charged even while moving to be more powerful but consume more SP. Ales' first skill sends out a mid-range arc with every slash. Ceska starts of with Manashot and sends long distance magic balls flying towards an enemy, with a little bit of auto aim tossed in. If you run out of SP, you can still attack in melee range. Mobs drop refills often enough that you don't have to worry about running out as long as you don't hammer attack. Some enemies are even immune to either physical or magic attacks so switching characters is integral to the game.

Similar to Star Ocean 2, skills become more powerful the more you use them. Ceska learns more magic by finding magic crystals around the world.

Enemies become invulnerable for half a second when you hit them so you can't spam the attack button to kill things that need more than one hit. It might just be slowing down an inevitable kill but further play will tell if this was a good design decision.

Puzzles are gradually introduced starting off with pushing blocks around to pass a room. Eventually things get more complex and you'll need to split up your team to handle things in separate rooms.

The game has 53 achievements to unlock and a leaderboard.

It's a pleasant game to play so far and I'm looking forward to finishing it!

Last edited by Echoen; 01-15-2014 at 07:25 PM..
Old 01-16-2014, 01:13 AM

thanks a lot for sharing your first impressions! glad you´re enjoying it! we've spent much time enhancing and tweaking many aspects of the game.

one thing to mention is that Ceska's airshot (her standard attack) does not consume SP and can always be used by pressing the small action button, no matter which magic is equipped
Old 01-29-2014, 09:59 AM

Across Age 2 HD v1.0.1 is now also available on the App Store, reducing the file size by 150mb.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:30 AM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Any IAPs in this game? I don't have my ipad with me and don't know any other way of checking.

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2014, 01:35 PM
In Time-Out
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorlen View Post
Any IAPs in this game? I don't have my ipad with me and don't know any other way of checking.

Thanks!
No iaps, but be wary. I bought it but after 10 mins of playing, I've deleted it.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mene View Post
No iaps, but be wary. I bought it but after 10 mins of playing, I've deleted it.
Ouch. May we ask why you did??
Old 01-29-2014, 07:17 PM
In Time-Out
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofunguy View Post
Ouch. May we ask why you did??
Sure, It probably won't bother 99.9% of people but I found the way the characters were animated very jarring, it annoyed me and got on my nerves very fast, hence the delete.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:19 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Send a message via Skype™ to Johnny1st

Help! I'm stuck at the end :
•••Spoiler:   I can't figure out how to solve Jonathan's last side quest whích he gives you personally after finishing all the regular ones. I just can't find the other entrance to the Isle of Light.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:25 AM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

I've been wanting the first version of this game for a while.