Please help me with creating my game

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Mikecro, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Mikecro

Mikecro New Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Before I start I would like to say that I have absolutely no experience in game development no do I know anybody who does so that is why I am turing to you guys the experts.
    Now for my idea...

"Music Circuit"
    *Mario Kart style 2D racing game.
    *Race as 4 cartoon instruments such as drums, a guitar, a trumpet and even a piano.
    *7 exotic courses like a sunny beach, a busy city, a steamy jungle, a red hot volcano, and more
    *4 fun game modes grand prix, time trail,vs and ghost
    * collect notes to make a song and you race along and hear the finished piece at the end, but if you miss any or collect them in the wrong order you wont get as many points.
    *Public domain songs like Happy Birthday and BINGO
    *Use a sour note to screw up your friend in VS mode
    That is my idea which I have been thing about for a while now but due to lack of resources and experience I am unable to fulfill.
    So if you can help me out please contact me at [email protected]
    Thank you
    W

2. Are you looking for help in locating resources to do this yourself, or are you effectively looking to gather together some people to design the game for you?

3. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

Side note: warner holds the US copyrights to "happy birthday"…

4. therhino

therhino Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Georgia
    Learn as much as you can, you need a Mac or Hackintosh, and you need at least the basics in Objective C. I would suggest you start off with something easy like Pong, but it's up to you.

5. The legitimacy of its copyright status is highly debatable. The melody itself is public domain, as the song was derived from and is identical to "Good Morning to All" by Patty and Mildred J. Hill whose copyright has long since lapsed. (It was copyrighted by a company under the Copyright Act of 1909.) The debate over the copyright of the altered Happy Birthday lyrics revolves around the fact that they were originally originally improvised by a group of young kids who never received any compensation when they were copyrighted, as well as the fact that the melody having been derived from earlier should render the copyright null and void.

Regardless, if anyone's going to use the song, it's best only to use the melody without the lyrics just to avoid getting into a messy copyright debate in court.

6. ejjib

ejjib Active Member

Feb 25, 2010
    only in USA

7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Last I heard, "Happy Birthday" was one of the most expensive songs to feature on TV commercials in the EU due to it's popularity, which is why you never hear it.

8. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

Yes that's generally the idea of US copyrights. ;)