Help me to decide about my game

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by 8bitmfker, Apr 7, 2015.

1. 8bitmfker

8bitmfker Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2012
    Poland
    I made a small retro platformer after my day job hours, 56 levels (7 chapters), retro art and engrossing story. I put a lot of effort in animated cutscenes, mechanics, tile map integration and other things. Gameplay is very similar to League of Evil in my opinion which is one of my favourite iOS games so the similarity is obvious. I spent about 4 months on this project and I got less downloads than from some super stupid game I made in 1 day (just because it has "hockey" keyword in its name).
    Do you think that I should work on it more or leave this project and start working on something else because it will be only waste of my time?
    I was thinking about hiring someone to make good graphics and music.
    I thought I could also hire someone or use some marketing services to promote the game? I mean people like IndieViddy. Is it worth doing it? Do you know any good services?

Game link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/golden-house/id903806337?l=pl&ls=1&mt=8

2. Rogue

Rogue Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 9, 2011
    Games Developer
    Brisbane, Australia
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rl2mCFLFHg

Actually looks pretty decent. I would be curious what others think it is missing. Personally nothing is drawing me into it (no unique mechanic or interesting artwork). I am pretty picky about what I play though. Does it have ads? How have you monetized it? Did you do the whole game yourself?

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #3 psj3809, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
    As someone who loves platformers and retro art i think this game is very appealing. But i cant quite put my finger on it, i've only played a few levels so far and i dont know. Its 'close' to being an exceptional retro platformer but i think the lack of enemies (and shooting) so far makes the game seem pretty 'light'.

(Unless this happens later ?)

Would be great if there was a bigger story around it, eg a 'town' level at the start (Similar to Devious Dungeon) where you 'accept' or take on a mission and then it basically jumps to one of your levels. Eg get 50 coins if you complete an easy 'level 1' type of level. More coins if you try the later ones.

But its a shame theres the usual level select screen. Like i say for me personally if it was 'built' around a bigger story/better level select screen it could be great

Needs more enemies

A brilliant example is to look at Swordigo. Now i'm not saying copy the graphics but the whole storyline around it is brilliant, you do 'sub-quests' to get stronger and stronger so you can do harder quests etc.

More variety of graphic tilesets would be good and like i say a slightly different take on it than the usual level select screen

An '8 bit' version/homage of Swordigo would be brilliant

Sorry to hear sales havent been great, again i think the game shows you have talent but theres been quite a few games like this now. Be nice to see something a bit different (eg non-linear so you can jump to various different levels at the start) Just needs something a bit different than the usual

4. 8bitmfker

Sep 25, 2012
    Poland
    Rogue: There are interstitial ads after level is finished. Yeah, I made it whole by myself. Thanks for posting my video trailer I almost forgot about it :]
    psj3809: Maybe I made first 8 levels too simple, levels are getting really challenging later in the game.
    I think generally you pointed the same thing: lack of something unique, which is pretty true I guess :(
    If you had to choose between options: leave it or polish it, which one would you choose?

5. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

I tried the game a played a few levels.

Pros-
    Controls are responsive
    Character art

Cons-
    Levels are a little dull, sparse
    Are there enemies later?
    Name of the game

Just my opinion.

6. 8bitmfker

Sep 25, 2012
    Poland
    BazookaTime: thanks for sharing your opinion. I will consider changing the name, you're not the first one telling me it isn't cool enough. Some say it's like the real estate agency name. There are some enemies later.