Breaking Bad.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by arta, Sep 10, 2013.

1. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
  2. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    The article explains it.

3. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
  4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Well i've been avoiding this thread for a while but now i've seen all the episodes

I was a latecomer to Breaking Bad, loved watching 2 episodes or so a night. Its now weird (and sad) its all over !

I must admit after hearing all the hype i was a bit disappointed as to me a lot of episodes were quite 'slow' in the beginning but i still enjoyed it.

The final season i thought was great, specially the final two episodes. I bet the makers of the show are now a bit annoyed they killed off Walter White as the ratings were very high at the end as more and more people were talking about it. So no more future episodes

I heard there might be a 'Saul' series which i would probably watch but it wont be the same

On one hand i'm glad they did end it the way they did as it'll always go down as a classic tv series, if they carired it on it might have got stale and then not get renewed or something.

But a great 2 months watching this whole series. Now the question is what series to watch next !

5. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Yeah, a lot of hype that people give the show now is based on season 3 onwards, where the scope widened drastically in tandem with a much darker tone. S1 and S2 still had that suburban angst thing going on.

I saw the show from the beginning, so at the time those episodes were tense. Now, I realise the episodes are slow but I watch the Wire, where each season deals with a single police case, I don't mind those episodes as much as newer fans who came in on the cowboy stuff.

S3, S4 and S5 also have improved HD cameras and cinematography.

6. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Who else saw this awesome letter from Anthony Hopkins to Bryan Cranston?

"Dear Mister Cranston.

I wanted to write you this email - so I am contacting you through Jeremy Barber - I take it we are both represented by UTA . Great agency.

I've just finished a marathon of watching "BREAKING BAD" - from episode one of the First Season - to the last eight episodes of the Sixth Season. [Ed note: There are in fact five seasons of Breaking Bad; this might have been wishful thinking.] (I downloaded the last season on AMAZON) A total of two weeks (addictive) viewing.

I have never watched anything like it. Brilliant!

Your performance as Walter White was the best acting I have seen - ever.

I know there is so much smoke blowing and sickening bullshit in this business, and I've sort of lost belief in anything really.

But this work of yours is spectacular - absolutely stunning. What is extraordinary, is the sheer power of everyone in the entire production. What was it? Five or six years in the making? How the producers (yourself being one of them), the writers, directors, cinematographers.... every department - casting etc. managed to keep the discipline and control from beginning to the end is (that over used word) awesome.

From what started as a black comedy, descended into a labyrinth of blood, destruction and hell. It was like a great Jacobean, Shakespearian or Greek Tragedy.

If you ever get a chance to - would you pass on my admiration to everyone - Anna Gunn, Dean Norris, Aaron Paul, Betsy Brandt, R.J. Mitte, Bob Odenkirk, Jonathan Banks, Steven Michael Quezada - everyone - everyone gave master classes of performance ... The list is endless.

Thank you. That kind of work/artistry is rare, and when, once in a while, it occurs, as in this epic work, it restores confidence.

You and all the cast are the best actors I've ever seen.

That may sound like a good lung full of smoke blowing. But it is not. It's almost midnight out here in Malibu, and I felt compelled to write this email.

Congratulations and my deepest respect. You are truly a great, great actor.

Best regards

Tony Hopkins."

7. WunDaii

WunDaii Well-Known Member

I loved the fact that it's all so slow. There's so much imagery and depth to the show that's shown largely during the still scenes. Not to forget the cinematography, Michael Slovis is just pure class. The music throughout the series was perfect, too; Dave Porter is a genius.

Regarding the timing of the final season - they chose to end it at its peak for good reason. Bryan Cranston said in an interview that he'd hate people to say, "Breaking Bad? Is that show still on?", and rather say, "Breaking Bad? I loved that show."

I love that show.

8. WunDaii

WunDaii Well-Known Member

I'm refraining from saying (admitting?) that Bryan Cranston's acting in Breaking Bad is the best I've ever seen because I'm a huge fan of DiCaprio. I love both of them.

9. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    I complete agree. I love/loved the pacing of the entire season, even the "slow-paced" seasons. So many things in entertainment these days are so fast, too much happening on-screen and not enough time to process everything. Breaking Bad took it slow at the beginning, and the pay-off at the end was all the more sweeter.

Best show ever. And yes, some of the best acting ever.