What Exactly is a "Doodle" App?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Vauxhall95, May 14, 2011.

1. Vauxhall95

Vauxhall95 Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Is the term Doodle in the title of an app simply an acknowledgement that the game uses hand drawn graphics, or is in reference to a development kit used to design the app?

I'd never heard the term in the context of an application until I bought an iTouch a few years back, and now there must be tens, hundreds(?) of "Doodle" apps in the App Store.

Thanks,

Vaux

2. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Most people use it as a term to describe the graphics. Ever since Doodle Jump led the way in utilizing the style, there's been tons of hate.

3. stonery

stonery Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Editor
    Neverland
    #3 stonery, May 14, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011
    I always thought of "doodle" as "casual" .

4. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    A craap. A cheap, insulting, lazy, uninspired, shameless, lowest-common denominator cash grab. Some call it a game. I call it a joke.

5. Vauxhall95

Vauxhall95 Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Okay.

Now, tell me how you really feel... ;-)

I think I got my answer though: it is not a development kit. Curious though: has anyone seen the YouTube clips for Sketch Nation II? Seems to me anyone will be able to make one of these "doodle" apps and post it to the App Store for sale.

If everyone feels there is an influx of these titles now, just wait until Sketch Nation II. I realize one will be able to use Photoshop level creations; however, you can also just doodle a game out in a couple minutes. Seriously, if you haven't watched the YouTube clip do it. They created "Doodle Jump" in a little more than two minutes. Which is both very cool and a precursor to tons of these clones being dumped into the App Store as the new version of Sketch Nation gives you the option to not just create a game but sell it online.

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    It's just a reference to the art style. It can be an easy way out for developers with little to no artistic skill, or it can be a refined art (see Cosmic Birds).

Sketch Nation is pretty cool with it's level editor, but when it boils down to it I'm still left with a bunch of genres which are vastly oversaturated on the App Store and beginning to bore the hell out of me. Different graphics won't necessarily change much of the gameplay and it's not as though you can add in your own game mechanics to really create something unique. It'll be fun for a while, especially for people with artistic talent.

7. Nitzan

Nitzan Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
    #7 Nitzan, May 20, 2011
    Last edited: May 20, 2011
    Just to clarify some things about Sketch Nation 2:

Here is the link to the thread with the YouTube videos: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=86003

Sketch Nation 2 will allow you to both add your own art, and to change the game mechanics so you can create your own unique game. SN2 also automatically makes your game fun and challenging based on the parameters you select.

You will be able to release your game to the App Store, but only if it first approved by us. We will only be releasing high quality games, so rest assured that we have no plans on flooding the App Store with anything that is not fun.

Future updates will add more genres and options. Our goal is to enable you, the game creator, to create the best game possible.

8. Vanaple HK

Vanaple HK Well-Known Member

May 18, 2011
    iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad App Development
    HK, China
    Yeah, I agree. It seems to signify freedom. You know everyone loves freedom. So it's more likely to attract players' attention by using "doodle" as a part of app name! :D