Mobile battery packs

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Teknikal, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Anyone else using these?

I just bought a new one as there has been plenty of rioting, bad weather and power cuts here in Belfast the last few weeks and I rely a lot on my phone and other USB powered gadgets I'd hate to be stuck without them.

I already had a small 2,500mah one which can fully charge my phone once but I decided that's not enough and bought a 10,000 mah one which has dual USB slots (one at the full 2 amps and one at 1 amp).

Surprised me a little to see the first initial charge has to be about 14 hours but I think it will be a useful thing to have, can't wait to experiment and see how many charges I can get on my various gadgets.

2. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Yeah I had one, but it is now rendered obsolete, ever since I got my 5th gen and it's Lightning port. :p

3. Why would that be? Most of them are usb out, so you should be able to use the lightning connector usb cable. But maybe you had a brand with a dedicated 30 pin port I guess. Some of those case batteries were like this.

4. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    #5 ninjackid, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
    Yup, hold up lemme see if a can find a picture.

EDIT: Ok, here it is:

[​IMG]

5. Wow, that almost looks like a wacked out sex toy with all those suction cups, never seen a case battery look like that before. Makes my Anker external battery look quite tame. But thanks for the pic, it was quite interesting.

6. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    LOL

So that's what my girlfriend borrowed it for... :p

7. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Been playing around with the one I bought, Seems as good as you could expect really and charges things pretty fast probably due to the 2 amp thing I'm not sure any of my USB plugs supply that much.

One disappointment is I couldn't get it to work on my Vita but I'm pretty sure that's Sony's doing to sell their own charger my Sony ereader is the same unless I use a third party charge cable which works fine.

Guess I'll have to wait a few days and see if it really lives up to 10,000mah it's looking good so far.

8. Well my Anker 10,000 mah battery does supply a long charge, but it does not supply power as fast as a power supply. So when I am using the ipad on power supply, it stays at the same % level. But my ipad slowly drains a little even with the external battery on. If this differs in your experience, let me know. And after age, the battery will degrade a bit. My battery probably only works about 80% of what it originally did 6 months ago, but this should probably be somewhat common too. That's why I recommend the bigger the better. Even 10,000 mah in 2 years may be only equivalent to 5,000 which would be way too small for my needs.

9. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Yeah all batteries degrade no getting around it, I could have bought a cheaper one that had 500+ cycles but went for the more expensive 1000+ cycles. I don't have an iPad to test but I was successfully charging two devices at a time and as quick or quicker as my USB plugs but I don't know how many amps they actually supply I suspect only 1A at best.

Things I've tested are my phone, my Gear4 Streetparty speaker, iPod, Plantronics headset and my ereader their all at a full charge and the battery still showing full.

To be honest I don't think I'll use the battery that much but I wanted it just in case as I would hate to have my power go down and not even have my phone.

10. #11 Connector, Jan 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
    Oh, I thought you had an ipad. The ipad pulls power at 2a and has a much bigger internal battery, so it differs alot from iphone charging. My external battery has no problems at all powering my iphone. It will charge fast and will always increase the iphones battery level. On my new ipad though, when being used, it loses about 5% an hour or so. Power supply loses about 0%. So I was kind of hoping that it could charge faster. It's a whole different case too if I have my ipad off with the battery on, it was primarily designed to be used in this format.

But for iphones, it should be fine, and 10,000 mah should be more than enough. I wanted 15,000 mah originally for my ipad but couldn't really find anything that worked. But if I was iphone only, probably 7000 mah would be enough. 10,000 mah should be plenty even for 2 iphones.

11. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Yeah I was looking for the biggest I could find as well, I was looking at the power gorilla but it's a an awful lot more expensive and I couldn't actually find it's mah rating which worried me. To be honest though I think that's more for laptops and stuff and would no doubt be serious overkill for what I needed.

I think the one I bought will probably do the job fine worst case scenario I should get about 4 to 5 charges from it and I can't remember the power ever being down that long usually it's sorted same day.

12. Yeah, I would estimate I can get about 4 full charges on my iphone, which is quite a bit. For my ipad, it probably charges about 80% of one full charge, which normally is fine, but if I am using my ipad for more than 12 hours, it's not enough. That's why I wanted 15,000 mah, but the tech isn't there, either expensive or huge. 10,000 mah under your scenario should be just fine, and who knows if you ever get a tablet you can use it for that too. Good luck with it, let us know how you like it after a bit.

13. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Did more digging on the power gorilla apparently that one is 21,000mah but yeah huge and expensive, they also claim it can recharge a phone 20 times which I find unlikely in honesty.

14. Wow that battery is big, almost the same size as my ipad sizewise. My external battery is about the same size as an small external hard drive so it is great suze to put into my backpack. I really doubt 20 charges, if it can get half that it would be lucky. But would love to have a battery rated that good, I wonder too how fast it could charge my ipad, whether it would charge anywhere close to a regular ipad charger in terms of speed.

15. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I read a review on amazon.co.uk the USB is rated at only 1 Amp output so it probably would last for a long long time but I doubt it would actually raise the percentage unless the iPad was off in honesty.

Really I'm not sure if it's actually possible to power up an iPad while it's being used best bet would be maybe a battery that supplied 2 amps output might be able to.

16. Check this out, it's kind of interesting.

I check out Amazon, and Anker just came out with a new battery! And get this, it is rated 3A out, not 2A!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Lightning-Sensation-Thunderbolt-connectors-customized/dp/B009USAJCC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1359326014&sr=8-2&keywords=anker+external+battery

My older one, rated 2A

http://www.amazon.com/Multi-voltage-Recorders-Lightning-Sensation-connectors/dp/B005NGKR54/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1359326052&sr=8-5&keywords=anker+external+battery

Reading through the comments, someone mentions that when an ipad is powered on, it needs at least 3.1A to power without losing power in the battery, so this new 3A model would seem go help my cause cause I use my battery primarily when my ipad is on, and don't like it draining.

I'm really curious about getting this one and seeing if it makes a huge difference, apparently, they should theoretically provide the same charge, but its how fast the charge will get into my ipad. It would help in my case a little cause during the day, I often have my ipad plugged into the battery now powersupply, and at night, I like to go untethered all night long.

But the new model for some reason doesn't seem to have a power supply like the old one did, and may take longer to charge up. I'm really tempted to buy one, it's actually cheaper list price now at $40 vs $60, even though I bought my old one for $40 a while back.

17. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Would make a bit of a difference probably but I have read the new iPads ac adapter actually supplies 10 amps and still doesn't charge it if you are gaming or something.

I'd say probably depends what you are doing with the iPad I would like to think 3 amps would raise the percentage though even if it was very slow doing it.