Unreal Engine and Loading Times

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by jezz.torrent, Apr 29, 2011.

1. jezz.torrent

jezz.torrent New Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Starting a new thread here because I haven't seen this been discussed, but maybe it has and I missed it so I apologize in advance.

The only apps I have that run in the Unreal Engine 3 on iOS are Infinity Blade and Epic Citadel. Both of these take agonizingly long to get past the logo screens on my iPod Touch 4. Now, it is very possible that this is just something Epic likes to do, but what worries me is that perhaps the logo screen is hiding the time it takes to load the game.

I know that there have been some non-Epic games that have used UE3: do they also have similarly long initial loading times?

If "no", then great! No need to worry, just a complaint towards Epic to let us skip the logo screens, please.

If "yes", then that seems like a problem with the current push to use UE3 more on a platform that is somewhat defined by the ability to do quick, pick-up-and-play bursts of gaming. I like to do a fight or two in Infinity Blade on the subway, but it is very irritating to wait full minute to get to the actual game when I only intend to play for ten.

So, long start-up times with Infinity Blade: a questionable Epic/Chair design decision, or a major (in my opinion) flaw in Unreal Engine 3?

2. BruteOutlawz

BruteOutlawz Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Epic citadel takes 35 seconds to get in game.

Infinity blade takes 40 seconds

How are they long loading times?? Pretty quick if you ask me.

3. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    thts actually pretty long... depending on wat idevice u have the time may vary

4. logical

logical Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2011
    No major flaw in their engine. Its more a limitation of the devices. Unlike a game like angry birds, infinity blade has to load loads of assets before the game loads.

Since youre on a iTouch 4 its actually going to take you longer as well cause you have less ram. I just checked it took me 17 seconds from initially hitting the infinity blade icon to being able to play.

Once we get further along and newer devices with more ram UE3 will load faster. Im willing to bet iPad 2 loads even faster than my iPhone 4.

5. radchad1

radchad1 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Accountant
    Lake Zurich, Illinois
    It's really fast at the loading screen on my iPad 2. Not so much on my iPhone 3GS or the itouch 4 I gave my wife for holidays. The iPad 2 is really a beast of a device and games loading times are so short.

6. Deltacows1

Deltacows1 Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    So I'm not the only one who thought the IB loading screen took forever... I always wondered why you couldn't skip it.

Honestly though, the loading time's worth the games amazing graphics.